Options

A thank you letter to the band

saraharrison82saraharrison82 Posts: 1
edited September 2018 in The Porch

He could have tuned in, tuned in but he tuned out.  A bad time nothing could save him...

My husband is a combat veteran who has struggled with debilitating PTSD, anxiety, and a myriad of physical health problems since returning from Iraq.  We have been married since 2006.  Things started to go downhill and he wound up in a dark place of severe depression, crippling anxiety, daily thoughts of suicide, inpatient treatments, and isolation.  He was no longer able to work.  The joy had gone out of his life; the lights were barely flickering.  There were times I just didn't know how we would make it through.  Luckily I have a full time job and after several years he was awarded full VA benefits.  We bought a car in 2015 that had satellite radio.  He immediately found the Pearl Jam station, channel 22.  It was all he would listen to.  It calmed him.  He told me the story of how when he was a kid he bought the Ten album through Columbia House on his mom's credit card and would sneak out to the barn to listen to it for hours on end.  He shared how he had carved "Pearl Jam" into his head board.  I loved hearing about this time in his life, a time when he was care-free, his future wide open...before the invisible wounds of war, before the weight of the world was on his shoulders.  Still, in 2016 we went through a really rough time in our marriage.  So much had caught up with us, but we were trying to make things work.  Since I didn't really follow them, on a whim I googled "Pearl Jam tour", and was surprised to learn that they'd be playing in Lexington, KY in a couple months.  It was drivable from Michigan, so I got the tickets.  He was apprehensive, but excited.  Crowds are something we had become accustomed to avoiding for a long time.  He almost backed out, but we made it to the arena.

A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw.  Delivered him wings, hey look at me now...

As the music started playing in Rupp Arena, surrounded by 20,000 people, and seeing the smile wash over his face, my eyes filled with tears.  I never thought something like this would be possible for us.  We both got lost in the music.  It was an incredible night, the first Pearl Jam show for either of us, and one we will never forget.  I was hooked!!  It was something we could now share together, it brought us closer.  Immediately after we got home he found us tickets for the Wrigley night 2 show.  I'll never forget on the way home after that show, he looked at me and said "as soon as the music starts playing, everything else melts away".  I'm so thrilled to see him take interest in life again.  The lights are back on.  We've been to quite a few concerts since then, and it's become a family activity that we enjoy together with our kids.  We also share a new hobby together collecting show posters and doing our own framing.

He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere...

Well, here we are on the day of Fenway Night 2.  He has been to every North American show this tour.  He made a road trip out of it with his 14-year old son to Seattle, Missoula, and Chicago.  This is a huge step for him and I'm in awe of his progress.  Just a few years ago we would have to watch his son's baseball games from the car, because he couldn't get out.  I just met him in Boston for Night 1 and WOW.  What an incredible show!!  We were both blown away.  I was so happy to share that experience with him again.  To witness the pure joy of seeing his absolute favorite band from the 9th row.  Every song was amazing and the energy from the band and crowd was awesome.  Army Reserve and Eddie's dedication to the troops and their families was really special to us and struck a chord.  It was also quite something to watch my husband introduce himself to new friends at the Wish List foundation, after years of avoiding any type of social connection, and see his generosity in sharing his extra Night 2 ticket with a man who recently moved to Boston from Italy and loves Pearl Jam.  He is a big believer in Karma and is constantly looking for ways to pay it forward.

To my husband, you have come so far.  I love you with all my heart and I am so thankful you introduced me to this band and for the connection and experiences we've gained.  You have overcome so much, you never stop fighting...you are GIVEN TO FLY. 

To Ed, Mike, Jeff, Stone, Matt, and Boom, thank you so much for your music.  Thank you for putting your everything into every single song, every single show.  It is truly special to be a part of the experience.  Your music speaks to us, it heals, it connects us.  I can never describe how much I appreciate the tremendous gift you have given us, but just want to say Thank You.  Have a great show tonight.  I know my husband will! 

Sincerely,

Sara

P.S.  If you guys are sick of being "fucking hot" at these stadium shows, please consider our brand new, air conditioned Little Caesar's Arena in Detroit!!!!  :)

Post edited by saraharrison82 on

Comments

• Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 699
    Amazing first post.  Welcome to the board, and glad to hear about your experiences and your husbands recovery.  PTSD is so difficult on the sufferers, but also on friends and family.  Enjoy the show tonight!
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,868
    Well, this gets my vote for the best all time 1st post ever!!! Glad to see your family is making a tremendous recovery after some very difficult times, and that you are doing it together. Music and PJ definitely has a way to heal us and help us forget about all the negativity and pain that surround us. 

Cheers to you and your family.
  • Options
    HH140540HH140540 Atlanta Posts: 505
    Wow! Thanks for sharing and to Brandon for his service to all of us!
  • Options
    link93link93 Posts: 404
    Great post. Thanks for sharing. Thank your husband for his service. It's a great sacrifice. 
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    Just awesome. Happy for you guys.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,643
    Thats a brave dude.  Hope he has a fun night!
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,516
    Great post. Brandon sounds like a very strong brave, and adventurous dude and is lucky to have an equally brave, supportive, and strong woman. This post really brought me to the point of tears. While you have both faced so much adversity in your lives it is so encouraging to hear that you have found strength through the music and each other. Hope you both have an absolutely fantastic time tonight!!!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Incredible first post!!!
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Incredible

Welcome!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,463
    Thanks for reminding us of the healing powers of music and especially Pearl Jam. They are here to help! 
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    TJ25487 said:
    Thanks for reminding us of the healing powers of music and especially Pearl Jam. They are here to help! 
    +1
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    All I can say is, wow!  The message is amazing and this is so well written.  I got into Pearl Jam earlier this year when we bought the Wrigley N2 tickets.  I can't even pretend that I've ever dealt with anything like what he has, and you.  But what I can agree with is that their music does have a way of just making me forget about whatever shit I'm dealing with at the moment, and I can always count on it to do that.  And then after awhile listening to them enough I realized that it just helps me block all that stuff out to begin with.  Just got back from a last minute trip to Fenway N1 and I'm still buzzing.  Thank you for sharing this and reaffirming one of the things that I saw in this band very early on in my fandom.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,828
    Chills and welcome!
  • Options
    Very nicely said.  Thanks for sharing. 

And as someelse said. Thank your husband for his service and sacrifice.  
  • Options
    faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    From a 24 year and counting member of the Air Force with multiple shitty deployments over there I will never pretend to know what it was like for a lot of the guys that had even shittier deployments in the thick of things.   But I get how this helps; I've had PJ with me for all 24 years, in the service and personally.   It's my life's soundtrack just like everyone else.   Thanks for your service Brandon and know more people have your back than you think.   
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,868
    Very nicely said.  Thanks for sharing. 

And as someelse said. Thank your husband for his service and sacrifice.  
    Thank you Brandon for your services and sacrifices. 
  • Options
    THIS-----> "as soon as the music starts playing, everything else melts away"  <-----THIS

I am always looking for something that makes all else melt away.  Going to a show sure does it for me.  The only other things I've found are running (with PJ in my ears) and playing music.  When I play my guitar I can't think about anything else and that's pretty cool.....
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    Wow Sara...that is a beautiful story!!! Thank you for sharing that. Please let your husband know we thank him for his service!
  • Options
    THIS-----> "as soon as the music starts playing, everything else melts away"  <-----THIS

I am always looking for something that makes all else melt away.  Going to a show sure does it for me.  The only other things I've found are running (with PJ in my ears) and playing music.  When I play my guitar I can't think about anything else and that's pretty cool.....
    Yeah that was the line that stuck with me and been going through my head all afternoon since I read the OP.  So true.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    thank you to your husband's service for our country 
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,051
    Thank you to you and your husband for your service and please tell him WELCOME HOME. It's never too late to say thank you and welcome home.

• Options
    Nymets30Nymets30 Posts: 43
    edited September 2018
    Thank him for his service. I agree with all of the above such a fire post . 
  • Options
    UndrakanUndrakan Donostia - San Sebastian Posts: 113
    I was moved to tears. Thanks for sharing. I hope you had great time yesterday. 
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    I just want to say that I am really, REALLY happy to see this.  This is just beautiful.  Thank you to you and your husband.