Options

Xtra Boston posters...Now what?

JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
I had promised to get a full set of Boston posters for a close friend who had tix but couldn't make the shows last minute.  Somehow pulled that off, but so did another friend for him! So now I have an extra full set of Boston posters and I've never really done the selling or trade thing.  

Do most people sell their extras right after the shows?  Or wait awhile for the dust to settle?  If tonight's show is as good as I hope it'll be, I probably won't be able to do math for a few weeks anyway =) 

Any advice or your experiences appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    KS80184KS80184 Posts: 386
    If you're interested in trading the Klausen, I'd send you either the Wrigley Ames elephant or Jackson poster in a trade.
  • Options
    Thanks, good to know. I'll check those out; I didn't go to Wrigley so didn't pay as much attention beyond that beautiful train Thomas.
  • Options
    sdavissdavis Posts: 960
    I’ll buy the set at cost from you?
  • Options
    If selling for face and all mint condition, I’ll buy them from yoi
  • Options
    I'm not worried about selling them, I know I can sell them. I'm just wondering if there is a clock ticking and they'll be harder to sell in a couple of weeks because life responsibilities start again tomorrow and I'd love to come back to this later if possible.

Does that make sense?
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited September 2018
    The coolest thing would be to sell at cost plus shipping to the first person to pm you.  Otherwise it just looks as if you are waiting until value increases because of demand increases so you can make more money off other fan club member so who got shut out.  That’s fine too, because they are your posters.  But keep in mind that the ten club will drop these in the shop at some point in September.  That will likely result in drop in value, although may be temporary if these posters are like hot cakes.  Good luck either way.  I personally know sdavis is at the second Boston show right now, is an avid poster collector, and will likely have very hard time scoring these at the show.  I would throw in a free poster or Wrigley PJ dad hat to you if you sold all those to him at cost.  
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    I'll trade my Thomas Train for your Mumford, if you are interested in that.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I may be very interested in that! So far that's the most interesting one :)  I also have an extra dad hat, so we'll talk more later.
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    interested in whatever Boston posters you have left for sale after potential trades....thanks
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    Ok cool, will post them when all dust settles.
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,127
    There's really no rule of thumb on when. Some will increase in value, some will decrease. There are more eyes on this stuff right now, so a couple weeks is probably fine but in a couple months the tour buzz will have died down.

If you're gonna trade, I'd recommend getting a handle on what you're looking for first. If you start fielding blind offers people will get chippy and you'll invite more angst than you're probably looking for.

If you sell, I would be VERY hesitant to sell at cost to someone you don't know. I had that generosity repaid once with someone flipping the poster at market value a couple months later. I would sell at cost to a friend, but never again to someone I haven't met.

If you want to sell them quick, check the market value for each and price a few bucks below that. Given that these are newer posters, you're probably better off doing that elsewhere and not Lost Dogs. For whatever reason, several months to a year need to pass before selling at market value on there doesn't whip up a mob.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Thank you, that is exactly the kind of perspective/info I was hoping for!  Very very much appreciated!
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    AND your profile pic is an Afghan Whigs cover, so you are triple-awesome to me @pjl44 !!
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    AND your profile pic is an Afghan Whigs cover, so you are triple-awesome to me @pjl44 !!
    Ha...thanks! I love every project that Dulli touches.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    PP193448 said:
    The coolest thing would be to sell at cost plus shipping to the first person to pm you.  Otherwise it just looks as if you are waiting until value increases because of demand increases so you can make more money off other fan club member so who got shut out.  That’s fine too, because they are your posters.  But keep in mind that the ten club will drop these in the shop at some point in September.  That will likely result in drop in value, although may be temporary if these posters are like hot cakes.  Good luck either way.  I personally know sdavis is at the second Boston show right now, is an avid poster collector, and will likely have very hard time scoring these at the show.  I would throw in a free poster or Wrigley PJ dad hat to you if you sold all those to him at cost.  
    While I'm sure it would be "cool" to sell at cost to the 1st person who PMs me, after the crap I went through to get these, why is that fair? I'm not here to make more money, but I sure as heck hope to trade at least the Mumford for somethjng I don't have instead of just the $35 I paid for it, because what were all those hours in the heat for once I realized my friend is all set?

And also point taken from the other poster about selling a whole set at cost to a total stranger just because they replied first. 

I appreciate all perspectives and thank you for replying. Seriosly, I aporeciate the advice.

And... I'm curious if you've ever waited hours and hours yourself and then sold the whole set for cost to the 1st person who messaged you? Serious question, I'm really asking that...have you done that yourself?
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    pjl44 said:
    There's really no rule of thumb on when. Some will increase in value, some will decrease. There are more eyes on this stuff right now, so a couple weeks is probably fine but in a couple months the tour buzz will have died down.

If you're gonna trade, I'd recommend getting a handle on what you're looking for first. If you start fielding blind offers people will get chippy and you'll invite more angst than you're probably looking for.

If you sell, I would be VERY hesitant to sell at cost to someone you don't know. I had that generosity repaid once with someone flipping the poster at market value a couple months later. I would sell at cost to a friend, but never again to someone I haven't met.

If you want to sell them quick, check the market value for each and price a few bucks below that. Given that these are newer posters, you're probably better off doing that elsewhere and not Lost Dogs. For whatever reason, several months to a year need to pass before selling at market value on there doesn't whip up a mob.
    I’ve sold plenty of stuff here to other fans at cost plus shipping.  I have sent free stuff including hoodies, posters, and other to fans here on the boards.  Most have been people that i have never met, some international.  Do what makes you happy and you think is fair for you.  Don’t look for any return favors.  That’s likely not going to happen unless it’s a friend.  The market value sometimes muddies the water, especially if it’s something really sought after that you want to acquire.  Either way, good luck.  It’s your stuff, so do what you want.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:
    pjl44 said:

I’ve sold plenty of stuff here to other fans at cost plus shipping.  I have sent free stuff including hoodies, posters, and other to fans here on the boards.  Most have been people that i have never met, some international.  Do what makes you happy and you think is fair for you.  Don’t look for any return favors.  That’s likely not going to happen unless it’s a friend.  The market value sometimes muddies the water, especially if it’s something really sought after that you want to acquire.  Either way, good luck.  It’s your stuff, so do what you want.
    Thanks, and I'm with you on giving some stuff away, even valuable stuff. I lucked out and got 3of Ed's Fenway guitar picks last Fenway, turned around and gave one to a psyched looking guy in a wheelchair and he almost fell over. Have also agreed to shop for fans who can't make it and feel like I work for UPS now with all the stuff I'll need to mail out -at cost of course - even stuff that keeps running out, like dad hats and wristbands.

And... I gave a ticket away in advance because someone truly had a sob story.

Totally believe in good deeds, have benefitted from them and do them too. And will keep doing it!
  • Options
    PP193448 said:
    pjl44 said:

It's not even about return favors. It just stings when you think you're doing someone a solid then later it's "time to downsize" and they make $40-50 on your generosity. There are many folks with a bottomless pit - the thing they neeeeed sooooo bad today goes on the heap and becomes a commodity for the thing they neeeeeed sooooo bad tomorrow. It's a free country, so if that's the deal we're just going to play by market rules.

I would never sell a ticket above cost - the experience of a concert is on its own plane to me. Posters, stickers, zippos, etc. are just stuff.
  • Options
    Trade your Boston Brown for my Chicago Cunningham.. Have fun tonight.
  • Options
    giltyval said:
    Trade your Boston Brown for my Chicago Cunningham.. Have fun tonight.
    I gotta check the Chicago posters, I didn't go so didn't follow them as closely other than Thomas train.  Will check it out, thanks for offer!

And thanks, you enjoy it too if you're here!
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471
    I’d set a price or name a trade you want because you’re bordering on an auction right now with people making offers.  That will get your thread shut down pretty quick.  Good luck. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Good point, actually I already got what I really wanted which was info on the timing and whether I have a couple of weeks to travel home and WORK before really figuring out what to do with these.  I just wanted to make sure there wasn't total radio silence on interest a week after the show is over.  I figured there wasn't, but wanted to make sure.

So thanks everyone, no more offers or trades need to be offered on this thread, I'll post what's left once the dust settles from mailing everything to those I got it for, and when I do post what's left I'll also post what I'd trade it for or what I'm most looking for.

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I have a storage question: What paper do you guys put between posters when storing flat (I don't have any fancy giant portfolio type thing yet).  And what paper do you mail them in?  

I've heard some of you mention "wax paper"; I've also heard of people storing printed art in "acid-free paper".  Are those the same, or what's the best paper to store and ship posters in?

Thanks!  And no, haven't moved at all on any of the posters in my original post, trying to catch up with real life first but I'll be back with what's left once the dust settles :)   Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    Cheapest way to do it correctly.  Get two large pieces of acid free poster board.  Lay the poster flat between them.  Then put a bunch of small binder clips around the edges.  and you got yourself some good storage.   Make sure and I stress "ACID FREE"  make sure it says that !! 
  • Options
    Thank you, very very much appreciated!  And that's exactly what I'll do!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    Store em' flat, save em' for 10 years, then help fund a semester of college for your kid(s) or take that dream vacation you've been putting off.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    stickman said:
    Cheapest way to do it correctly.  Get two large pieces of acid free poster board.  Lay the poster flat between them.  Then put a bunch of small binder clips around the edges.  and you got yourself some good storage.   Make sure and I stress "ACID FREE"  make sure it says that !! 
    and this method works. I have used this method in the past successfully. Also, be mindful where you store them. Musty basement? Not a good plan. Also, be mindful of smells, like cigarettes - that shit will ruin your posters.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    whofeelslikeadrankwhofeelslikeadrank Posts: 2,702
    edited September 2018
    stickman said:
    and this method works. I have used this method in the past successfully. Also, be mindful where you store them. Musty basement? Not a good plan. Also, be mindful of smells, like cigarettes - that shit will ruin your posters.
    but wait... didn’t the CIA say acid could be good in specific circumstances?? fuck, guys...
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    stickman said:
    Thanks everyone, back from art store with several giant acid-free foam-core boards and acid-free paper to layer between a few. Had the binder clips so I think I'm all set!  You guys are the best!

On the storing for 10 yrs and funding my 9 yr old's college years (so 9 yrs of storage), can you guys promise they'll appreciate enough to fund 4 yrs of college?  Because if so, next time PJ announces a tour, that 529 plan and all the college money in it is BREAKING FREE and going to shows and MORE POSTERS!!!  Erm, you guys will help me out if that turns out not to pay for all her tuition in 9 yrs though, right?  Guys?