Variant question

Sibidy7Sibidy7 Posts: 188
so, I'm new to this poster world and I'm wondering about the variants i hear about.

There are some variants from the Wrigley 2018 shows.  Where are the variants sold and when?

I'm confused.

Comments

• Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    Variants are sold by the artist in online drops at typically scheduled times post the show the poster was created for. 

Never seen a variant at the show for sale. Someone could correct me if they have witnessed this. 

Collectors may like an artist print or variant as typically produced in much smaller numbers than show editions.  Have to say personally show editions are just as cool in my view
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Variants are sold by the artist in online drops at typically scheduled times post the show the poster was created for. 

Never seen a variant at the show for sale. Someone could correct me if they have witnessed this. 

Collectors may like an artist print or variant as typically produced in much smaller numbers than show editions.  Have to say personally show editions are just as cool in my view
    Didnt they occasionally mix them in with regular show editions?
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Release EVRelease EV Posts: 1,998
    edited August 2018
    PSUS2H said:

As i said never seen a variant sold at a show. Variants are a craze of past 10odd years.  Helps the artist make extra cash when flippers were killing it.  Just my view.  Some are super rare and impressive.

However I must admit Back in the 90s like in 98 the odd SEs had artist signed and numbered x/y. But again never seen a variant sold at a show. Only seen variant pins sold at shows etc
  • Sibidy7Sibidy7 Posts: 188
    I guess they are also different than the AP versions sold by the artists on their websites.

I'll have to keep my eyes out in the future.
  • SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    The variants are obviously way more collectable and valuable as well.
    ShawnZ
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    PSUS2H said:

Yes but only at a few shows.  Definitely not the norm
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • SweetDaddyLouSweetDaddyLou Posts: 1,186
    I think for the Toronto show in 2011 they had some purple moose mixed with the show editions at the venue. 
  • DE483DE483 Posts: 428
    I think for the Toronto show in 2011 they had some purple moose mixed with the show editions at the venue. 
    Correct.  People were in line asking the merch people to search the stack for the variant and only buying the variant.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Don’t get involved.  Best advice is to just enjoy the music.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • FadedGloryFadedGlory Chicagoland Posts: 416
    Interesting commentary given you're hanging out in the one area of the forums solely dedicated to merchandise. 

"Get yours off my plate ... I've got my own way to believe." 

1992: Chicago, Tinley Park
    1995: Chicago
    2009: Chicago
    2013: Chicago, Worcester I+II, Los Angeles I+II
    2014: Cincinnati, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Lexington, Toronto II
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV solo)
    2018: Seattle I+II, Chicago I+II, Boston I
    2022: Chicago I+II (EV & Earthlings), Los Angeles I+II, Las Vegas (canceled), New York, St. Louis
    2023: St. Paul I+II, Chicago I+II, Indianapolis (canceled)

• Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    I know the band receives some as well, as I got a variant of a 2016 Fenway poster in a mystery box this last go around. 
  • jtr101jtr101 Posts: 258
    PSUS2H said:

They 100% used to mix them in with the regular versions , for sure in 2011 and 2013 .
    Enjoy difference. Without it we're all boring!

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Interesting commentary given you're hanging out in the one area of the forums solely dedicated to merchandise. 

"Get yours off my plate ... I've got my own way to believe." 
    If you hate something, don’t you do it too.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.