Options

Your White Whale Song?

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Anyone who hasn’t been Released, I truly hope you get to experience it as soon as possible! If I could grant one wish to all PJ fans, it’s that everyone experiences Release live. 
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,484
    rummy said:
    I just want to hear and singalong to (and cry to) Release like so many of you have already done - many of you multiple times.
    Exactly..I want to Release!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    I'm going into these Wrigley shows without really having a white whale, I'm just going to be happy with whatever I get. My white whale used to be Oceans, fittingly, but I got that at the last Wrigley show and it was everything I hoped it would be.
  • Options
    Yoeddy1Yoeddy1 Boise, Idaho Posts: 103
    Acoustic #1, Hard to Imagine, Hold on, Not for you, Wash, Dead Man, Satan’s Bed, Whipping, Habit, Hail Hail, Off He Goes, Footsteps, Other Side, Alone, Fatal, No Way, Blood, Dissident!
    Restless soul...enjoy your youth!
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Anyone who hasn’t been Released, I truly hope you get to experience it as soon as possible! If I could grant one wish to all PJ fans, it’s that everyone experiences Release live. 
    Thank you. 
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Dear Mr. Vedder,

Please put Release on the setlist for either one of the Seattle shows (and not cross it off, of course). I'll be there both nights.

Thank you very much in advance.

Matt
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,484
    rummy said:
    Dear Mr. Vedder,

Please put Release on the setlist for either one of the Seattle shows (and not cross it off, course). I'll be there both nights.

Matt
    Hope you get it!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    rummy said:
    Dear Mr. Vedder,

Please put Release on the setlist for either one of the Seattle shows (and not cross it off, course). I'll be there both nights.

Matt
    I almost crapped my pants when they played release mid-set at msg 1 in 2016.  Hope you get this one Matt!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    fgdanzifgdanzi Posts: 136
    The Long Road
  • Options
    OceanInDisguise13OceanInDisguise13 Behind the sun Posts: 919
    edited August 2018
    Parting Ways..Hope to get it Saturday at Wrigley!!!
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • Options
    Dewback13Dewback13 Charlotte, NC Posts: 6
    Until last week it was “I’ve Got a Feeling,” now it would be “Sonic Reducer.” 

Which I could have checed off night 2.  
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Johnny Guitar

Hopelessly underrated
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    and Dissident 
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 305

I witnessed arguably the best "Release" ever on 6/12/2003 for their Kansas City show (which was actually in nearby Bonner Springs, KS).  A torrential downpour had been pelting the crowd (with no roof over the lower seated section which most outdoor amphitheaters have) and the seating near the stage (I was in the 3rd row) was slanted down and began to pool up with water.  

The band was supposed to take the stage like an hour before, but they were no where in sight and we heard rumors swirling in the crowd that the show would soon be cancelled.  However we persisted and at last the band took the stage as the skies continued to pour down rain.  Thunder and lightning crashed above our heads, but we no longer worried as Pearl Jam had finally come out.  The first notes of Release began to play and the crowd cheered. 

As Eddie sang "Oh Dear Dad, can you see me now?  I am myself - like you somehow." right at that very moment a HUGE flash of lightning streaked above the stage and lit up the sky and the crowd erupted.  In fact, if you go back and listen to the official bootleg of this show you can hear the crowd roar in volume.  Eddie looked up to the sky and waved and said "Hi Dad".  It was so magical.  I will never forget it.  I wish video existed of it, but thankfully their is the audio on the bootleg. 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rummy said:
    I just want to hear and singalong to (and cry to) Release like so many of you have already done - many of you multiple times.
    I may have already said this, but I always had it in my head that Oceans was the only Ten track I hadn't seen live. Then at St Paul 14, they started into Release, and the sheer emotion that washed over me made me realize I hadn't heard this one either. It was an experience to behold. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 634

I witnessed arguably the best "Release" ever on 6/12/2003 for their Kansas City show (which was actually in nearby Bonner Springs, KS).  A torrential downpour had been pelting the crowd (with no roof over the lower seated section which most outdoor amphitheaters have) and the seating near the stage (I was in the 3rd row) was slanted down and began to pool up with water.  

The band was supposed to take the stage like an hour before, but they were no where in sight and we heard rumors swirling in the crowd that the show would soon be cancelled.  However we persisted and at last the band took the stage as the skies continued to pour down rain.  Thunder and lightning crashed above our heads, but we no longer worried as Pearl Jam had finally come out.  The first notes of Release began to play and the crowd cheered. 

As Eddie sang "Oh Dear Dad, can you see me now?  I am myself - like you somehow." right at that very moment a HUGE flash of lightning streaked above the stage and lit up the sky and the crowd erupted.  In fact, if you go back and listen to the official bootleg of this show you can hear the crowd roar in volume.  Eddie looked up to the sky and waved and said "Hi Dad".  It was so magical.  I will never forget it.  I wish video existed of it, but thankfully their is the audio on the bootleg. 

Yup. This. Was there too. First show I attended with my now wife. That delay between Idlewild opening and PJ coming out seemed like forever, but all was forgiven once they walked on stage and melted faces and minds with that version of "Release". That whole experience is incredibly special to me and my wife. That version of "Release" is her ringtone.  I still hear "Hi Dad" in my head regardless of what version of the song I'm listening too. In fact, at that point in the song last week in Seattle, I turned to my wife and said "Hi Dad" and we both just smiled. 
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • Options
    rlaidepeasrlaidepeas St. Louis, MO Posts: 305
    edited August 2018
    DC29940 said:

Yup. This. Was there too. First show I attended with my now wife. That delay between Idlewild opening and PJ coming out seemed like forever, but all was forgiven once they walked on stage and melted faces and minds with that version of "Release". That whole experience is incredibly special to me and my wife. That version of "Release" is her ringtone.  I still hear "Hi Dad" in my head regardless of what version of the song I'm listening too. In fact, at that point in the song last week in Seattle, I turned to my wife and said "Hi Dad" and we both just smiled. 

Very cool!  I don't want to derail this thread or anything, but it was such a cool moment that it might be worth starting a thread about that show.  In fact, if I remember correctly, there were some threads about it back when it originally happened. 

Let's be honest - If this had happened in Boston or New York or even Chicago people would still be talking about the "Hi Dad" moment to this day. 

• Options
    shmapshmap Posts: 359
    31 shows, still waiting on Dirty Frank. Can’t complain though, as I’ve seen many other people’s white whales.
  • Options
    maverickmaverick Posts: 1,183
    Full band version of Naked Eye
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,041
    Nothing As It Seems at Wrigley please!
  • Options
    POLISPOLIS Posts: 9
    I am Mine.  Hoping it comes true at Fenway.  Either night would be fine with me.  Let's get it done.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    rummy said:
    I may have already said this, but I always had it in my head that Oceans was the only Ten track I hadn't seen live. Then at St Paul 14, they started into Release, and the sheer emotion that washed over me made me realize I hadn't heard this one either. It was an experience to behold. 
    Got it (Release - and Oceans!) in Seattle last week and I'm pretty sure it was the greatest concert experience of my life. Sounds a bit corny but it's true!
  • Options
    Deep, Dissident, Glorified G, Tremor Christ, and In My Tree are my top 5.

Haven't witnessed Hail Hail since 1998 and that might be at the top of my list.
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    Still Strangest Tribe.  I've got a good feeling about a wrigley sighting.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Finally got Fatal in Missoula...
    That moves Get Right into my next white whale!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    The Whale Song would be the greatest thing ever, especially opening a show in Seattle  =) 

• Options
    The Whale Song would be the greatest thing ever, especially opening a show in Seattle  =) 

Puget Sound Orcas The Last Generation we will see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEPIvR4dM8U

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    tie- Dirty Frank or Of The Girl now.
    hopefully at Fenway....
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 921
    18 shows and never heard smile. It's the one song I'd love to hear. One day maybe 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    eboweddie said:
    18 shows and never heard smile. It's the one song I'd love to hear. One day maybe 
    I never got Smile either (16 shows), but got Unthought Known twice (talk about shitty luck)