ledvedderman demos his second album

hello friends. 3 years ago I put out my first album that took me to places and meeting people I never imagined possible. Since then, I’ve become quite ill at times with a neurological issue in the brain. So, I started writing a second album to help cope. I threw in some songs that didn’t fit the first and I really feel like I’ve already got a stronger second album in rough home demo form than a polished full release (giggity) like last time. These are by no mean perfect recordings, but they give you an idea on where the songs would go in the studio. I recorded Where You End & I Begin down in New Orleans where Tom Drummond of Better Than Ezra produced, played bass, and mixed the instruments. I added the vocals at home, so that’s why the quality drops there. Shane Theriot plays on that song too. He’s the musical director for Hall and Oates. Amazing player and even better guy. So, this album is very much about getting sick, looking back on the past differently knowing this was going on in me at the time, and lessons I guess I’d like my son to pick up some day. My adorable avatar baby is almost ten now. 
So, I’m sharing this with people as a collection because I’m not sure I’ll physically ever be able to commit to recording like I have in the past. Some days the nerves just don’t cooperate and that’s a big deal when the studio meter is running. Safe travels to any of you fellas hitting up shows soon. It’s amazing how healing music (especially from this band) can be. 
https://soundcloud.com/brianzilmmusic/sets/second-album-demos

Comments

• FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Clicking the link now!
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Still listening...
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Still listening...
    Well that’s encouraging! Thanks Fin
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    Thanks for sharing!! Your voice and cadence reminds me a bit of The National front man.
    www.cluthelee.com
    That's quite an idea, adding the vox at home over a polished studio instrumental. I am going to start bugging my bandmate @mfc2006 about getting us into a studio together next summer. Had thought about going in by myself and recording a number of instrumentals I've done properly and had considered asking him to put vocals down at home like this.
    www.cluthelee.com
    That's quite an idea, adding the vox at home over a polished studio instrumental. I am going to start bugging my bandmate @mfc2006 about getting us into a studio together next summer. Had thought about going in by myself and recording a number of instrumentals I've done properly and had considered asking him to put vocals down at home like this.
    Thanks for the positive words, man. I’m not sure if it was much of an idea on my part. I live in a small town in Illinois where the studios I used for my first album are an hour away and the other in New Orleans. When you can’t see well enough to drive that hour anymore or can’t work and afford the huge studio...you gotta adapt out of necessity. I don’t have great gear at home. I just recorded over a mixed mp3. 
    I am looking forward to seeing what you and mfc come up with. I’ve always enjoyed hearing what you guys come up with. I’m trying to remember from my (very poor these days) memory- but aren’t one of you near St. Louis?
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Some great songs here Brian. I really enjoyed: "Snake Oil Salesman" (my favorite), "Respirator" and "Baby I Do". I'm not sure what these songs remind me of...which is a good thing. I want to say: Steve Earle, Tom Waits, Warren Zevon and Elvis Costello all come to mind.

Ezzy has a wonderful vocal part on "Respirator" which is a nice contrast to your world-weary vocal on that one. "Baby I Do" is just a damn beautiful song. But "Snake Oil" - I'd love to hear that one with full production and get rocked out. It's powerful stuff man!
    Some great songs here Brian. I really enjoyed: "Snake Oil Salesman" (my favorite), "Respirator" and "Baby I Do". I'm not sure what these songs remind me of...which is a good thing. I want to say: Steve Earle, Tom Waits, Warren Zevon and Elvis Costello all come to mind.

Ezzy has a wonderful vocal part on "Respirator" which is a nice contrast to your world-weary vocal on that one. "Baby I Do" is just a damn beautiful song. But "Snake Oil" - I'd love to hear that one with full production and get rocked out. It's powerful stuff man!
    Wow, man. So many nice words and comparisons there. I appreciate them all. I really like your point on the contrast between Ezzy’s voice and mine. I really like the harmonies she picked out. I’m glad you liked “Baby I Do” because I almost left it out. I wrote it in 15 minutes and felt too easy. “Snake Oil...” is one I really love, too. I think the lyrics are really strong. There’s a version at the studio where the chorus says “fuck you” instead of “but you.” It reminds me more of Pj more than anything else I’ve ever done. 

Thank you so much for the kind words. Just what I needed to read now. 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    Snake oil is a jam!   How the hell did you connect with Tom Drummond??   You recorded down in my neck of the woods
    Snake oil is a jam!   How the hell did you connect with Tom Drummond??   You recorded down in my neck of the woods
    Yeah man, totally your neck of the woods. Recorded at an amazing studio down there called Parlor. It was way too fancy and professional for a guy like me...but it was awesome. I got to work with Tom the old fashioned way- I reached out to him on Twitter. Haha. I’m not surprised “Snake Oil” is polling well in the room. It’s easily my most PJ sounding song. 
    I really appreciate your feedback. That goes for everyone in here. I really appreciate it. 
    Thanks for the positive words, man. I’m not sure if it was much of an idea on my part. I live in a small town in Illinois where the studios I used for my first album are an hour away and the other in New Orleans. When you can’t see well enough to drive that hour anymore or can’t work and afford the huge studio...you gotta adapt out of necessity. I don’t have great gear at home. I just recorded over a mixed mp3. 
    I am looking forward to seeing what you and mfc come up with. I’ve always enjoyed hearing what you guys come up with. I’m trying to remember from my (very poor these days) memory- but aren’t one of you near St. Louis?
    I live in Columbia, and Matt now lives in Kansas City - about an hour 15 away - same state!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    Yeah man, totally your neck of the woods. Recorded at an amazing studio down there called Parlor. It was way too fancy and professional for a guy like me...but it was awesome. I got to work with Tom the old fashioned way- I reached out to him on Twitter. Haha. I’m not surprised “Snake Oil” is polling well in the room. It’s easily my most PJ sounding song. 
    I really appreciate your feedback. That goes for everyone in here. I really appreciate it. 
    I only got to listen to two songs so far.  Snake Oil was chosen just on the artwork lol.  I’ll try to give the rest a listen after work