Options

'The Home Shows' X 'The Away Shows' Merch

Comments

• Options
    arnhem1976arnhem1976 Posts: 647
    I just wanna say... we have to be very careful what we are saying/typing... if someone buys a lot of pj merchandise it doesn’t mean he/she is a flipper!! We only saying that because we afraid we don’t get any poster,event shirt,stickers or buttons. If we make a statement not to buy any merchandise on eBay. Than have the flippers out of business. But still a lot of people are buying on eBay and  paying 300 $ for a poster. Insane!!! 
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:

Given2Fly said:
    pigeon said:
    Ok, this might of been answered already I tried to read all comments but is this cash only?
    I'm going with 100% positive that's a no, with no exact knowledge of whether it's truth or not. No way they don't take cards though with the $3k transaction from ebay flippers and the $1500/$2300 transactions from *cough* "collectors."
    I paid with my credit card $118!

She paid with  cash, all on video:

You actually filmed that? Lol
    Sad I know, but you get really board watching one person's purchase for like 40 minutes!!!  I should have just walked out, but I was almost next in my line and already invested several hours.  I'm weak, sad, and she is a respected pj community member!  LOL!  All good now! 
    You know, the $ and amount of merch aside....40 minutes is the worst part of that!  Heck if they spent 40 minutes up there picking through the stickers to find the best one and that was all they bought...it would be as bad as buying $2k worth of stuff and spending 40 minutes. especialyl since your 3 friends do the same thing.
    In my book this is the definition of douchey.  This person doesn't give a rats ass about any of the other fans in line.  
    that was my point about 10 max items.  moves the line along you want more?  get back in line and wait for another 10.  
    Post edited by Sea on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    edited August 2018
    JP218404 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Given2Fly said:
    pigeon said:
    Ok, this might of been answered already I tried to read all comments but is this cash only?
    I'm going with 100% positive that's a no, with no exact knowledge of whether it's truth or not. No way they don't take cards though with the $3k transaction from ebay flippers and the $1500/$2300 transactions from *cough* "collectors."

Sad I know, but you get really board watching one person's purchase for like 40 minutes!!!  I should have just walked out, but I was almost next in my line and already invested several hours.  I'm weak, sad, and she is a respected pj community member!  LOL!  All good now! 
    You know, the $ and amount of merch aside....40 minutes is the worst part of that!  Heck if they spent 40 minutes up there picking through the stickers to find the best one and that was all they bought...it would be as bad as buying $2k worth of stuff and spending 40 minutes. especialyl since your 3 friends do the same thing.
    In my book this is the definition of douchey.  This person doesn't give a rats ass about any of the other fans in line.  
    that was my point about 10 max items.  moves the line along you want more?  get back in line and wait for another 10.  
    Good idea
    Post edited by Sea on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited August 2018
    10 item max, with a cap of checking out 3 different shirts/sizes, lol.  

The "shirt samplers" used to make my face go red in these lines.  I couldn't imagine if I was stuck behind these people.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Interesting....

"So can I legally video tape someone else in Washington or not?

In our opinion, if you are not videotaping to invade someone else’s privacy, (for example, filming someone’s bedroom through the window of their house), or recording their private communication or conversation (recording what someone is texting) or recording to civilly harass someone else, you can video tape another or others. That said, with law if you change a fact, you change the possible outcome so chat with a lawyer before relying on this general opinion."

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Interesting....

"So can I legally video tape someone else in Washington or not?

In our opinion, if you are not videotaping to invade someone else’s privacy, (for example, filming someone’s bedroom through the window of their house), or recording their private communication or conversation (recording what someone is texting) or recording to civilly harass someone else, you can video tape another or others. That said, with law if you change a fact, you change the possible outcome so chat with a lawyer before relying on this general opinion."

Cool. So does this count as harassment? Or should we let the authorities decide?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Can we all take a break. Stop judging everyone for everything. Just get your own Merch. Wait in line and if the person in front of you takes long. Tough!  The world does not revolve around you. There are two shows coming. Isn’t that the Important thing here. Stop being so mean to each other. 
    1996- New York - Downing Stadium
    1998- Tibetan Freedom Concert
    2000- Seattle
    2005 - Vancouver
    2009- Vancouver
    2011-Vancouver
    2013 - Vancouver
    2016 - Ottawa
    2016 - Toronto 1
    2016 - Toronto 2
    2018 - Seattle 1
    2018 - Seattle 2
  • Options
    comatose_253comatose_253 Posts: 270
    edited August 2018
    JP218404 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Given2Fly said:
    pigeon said:

Good idea
    I agree!  Your respected member of the pj community bought 40 or 50 items, she bought the max number of many of the smaller items, stickers, baseball like cards, etc!  It's not like she was purchasing one of each.  That was just her purchase, others in her group did the same thing.  They must have 20 pins, 20 key chains, and a ton of baseball cards!
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 611
    Let's say the t-shirt company, assuming all shirts are made from the same company, send along with all the merchandise a handful of each size plain shirts and keep them somewhere in the line near the front possibly so people can try them on while waiting in the line........set up a couple racks of them or something, 
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Can we all take a break. Stop judging everyone for everything. Just get your own Merch. Wait in line and if the person in front of you takes long. Tough!  The world does not revolve around you. There are two shows coming. Isn’t that the Important thing here. Stop being so mean to each other. 
    Why you being mean and yelling at us?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    aidt17 said:
    Let's say the t-shirt company, assuming all shirts are made from the same company, send along with all the merchandise a handful of each size plain shirts and keep them somewhere in the line near the front possibly so people can try them on while waiting in the line........set up a couple racks of them or something, 
    Great idea.  Hopefully most people would just hold it up to their chest and not actually try it on.  Otherwise, you may not want to try on something that 200 people have tried on before you. 
  • Options
    Why you being mean and yelling at us?

2000- Seattle
    2005 - Vancouver
    2009- Vancouver
    2011-Vancouver
    2013 - Vancouver
    2016 - Ottawa
    2016 - Toronto 1
    2016 - Toronto 2
    2018 - Seattle 1
    2018 - Seattle 2
  • Options
    Lol
    2000- Seattle
    2005 - Vancouver
    2009- Vancouver
    2011-Vancouver
    2013 - Vancouver
    2016 - Ottawa
    2016 - Toronto 1
    2016 - Toronto 2
    2018 - Seattle 1
    2018 - Seattle 2
  • Options
    arnhem1976arnhem1976 Posts: 647
    Man when I was younger, the show was more important than merch. Nobody bought merch back then, because they you couldn't afford and it was more important to be as close as possible. Seems like the music comes after the merch now. I am not saying I do not buy merch, but I would not waste a beautiful day in Seattle, and I would not be in the line when the band is on stage just so I can buy something.
    +1 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,835
    Correct, the world does not revolve around "you" so don't take 40 minutes to buy merch.  Have situational awareness, don't have your friends cut the line and be respectful of the other fans that have waited just as long as you. Plain and simple, don't be an asshole.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited August 2018
    I'm not getting merch, and I gave it up for the most part, for what the whole collecting 'industry' has become.  I hope to maybe clean up and get a couple keepsakes when no line exists at a chance encounter with an available merch stand in Wrigley.

IMO, what you are blaming people complaining for, is what this woman and her group were doing.  The world revolved around them, they were kind of 'mean' to the people behind them in line.  A 40 minute transaction in these lines is definitely disrespectful and inconsiderate of the 'community' of merchgoers.  Just because there are no 'rules' against a monster transaction with many duplicate items, doesn't mean its the proper way to act.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    I'm sure this has been answered before but why can't they sell this merch on their website?  Maybe donate 10% to different charities?  T-Shirts are going for 80 bucks on ebay.  If PJ really cared about their fans why make them wait for hours in a line when they could purchase merch from their homes?  
  • Options
    aidt17aidt17 Posts: 611
    aidt17 said:
    Great idea.  Hopefully most people would just hold it up to their chest and not actually try it on.  Otherwise, you may not want to try on something that 200 people have tried on before you. 

aidt17 said:

Good point. Yes just do the hold up method
    Hamilton 05, 11, Cleveland 06, Toronto 09, 16, Buffalo 10,13, London 13, Seattle 13, Detroit 14, Milwaukee 14, Ottawa 16, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    LOV2ROCKLOV2ROCK Minneapolis/St.Paul Posts: 822
    edited August 2018
    Post edited by Sea on
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Don't open the booth until the day of the show(s) and you must show that you have a ticket to the concert(s) to be able to enter the merch line.  After the shows are over leave them open for another day or so open to the general public.  I'm really curious if all these people buying thousands of $ of merch are actually going to the concerts or if the majority are flippers.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    edited August 2018
    What I don’t understand is why do you need multiples of the same shirt in different sizes?
    Shouldnt have to try shirts on your an adult you should know what size you are or have your mom come with you for guidance to speed things along.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2018
    Seeing Pearl Jam in Seattle is a bucket list item for a lot of fans. A lot of those fans are also hardcore collectors. I’ve seen many photos of collections of fans here that have duplicates of duplicates of damn near everything one could think of—none of which is for sale or trade. Seems crazy to me, but it takes all kinds. 

I no longer have much of a collector mentality, but in my opinion, if I did and I were fortunate enough to be able to see my favorite band in their hometown for an event such as this, I could see myself making a 40-minute transaction. (I would also trust in my fellow fans to have some common decency and not film me and put it on the Internet for the pitchfork mob, but that’s just me being stupid again.)

I think the situational awareness falls more to the stand operators to recognize that they have a serious buyer on their hands and to handle who’s got next among the separate lines a little less rigidly until the big buyer has completed his/her transaction. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,710
    What a bizarre thing this has turned into. 
  • Options
    trentktrentk Posts: 62
    There should be a "Merch Line Cam".  I would love go down and get a shirt today, but I don't want to late in line for two hours to do it.
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    Don't open the booth until the day of the show(s) and you must show that you have a ticket to the concert(s) to be able to enter the merch line.  After the shows are over leave them open for another day or so open to the general public.  I'm really curious if all these people buying thousands of $ of merch are actually going to the concerts or if the majority are flippers.
    Most of them are fans just like that girl in the photo
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,055
    edited August 2018
    mickcasey said:
    I'm sure this has been answered before but why can't they sell this merch on their website?  Maybe donate 10% to different charities?  T-Shirts are going for 80 bucks on ebay.  If PJ really cared about their fans why make them wait for hours in a line when they could purchase merch from their homes?  
    You can't order tickets anymore because it crashes the website. Can you imagine if they put all that merch up for sale? Merch lotteries in no time.

Despite all the grousing about a couple weird situations, this has been pretty successful I think. Seems like late yesterday was a short wait with most stuff available. That should be a theme for the next couple days, too.
    Post edited by pjl44 on
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    edited August 2018
    I’m sure she is a nice person if Dimi is vouching for her... but come on.  The video shows her buying multiples of so many items.  It strains common sense to believe that the extra items she is ‘collecting’ won’t be flipped for money or other items.  There is no way all that stuff is for her.  
    Post edited by on2legs on
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2018
    In 98 i never waited more than ten minutes in any merch line. 

and the posters and shirts were actually nice and stuff

And we only cared about the performance and the opening bands. 

the end. 

• Options
    Given2FlyGiven2Fly Seattle Posts: 167
    So, back to important stuff. Anybody who got shirts yesterday, how did they fit? Are they the normal "run smaller than normal so no way in heck Given2Fly is getting a Large" sizing? :) Curious on hoodies too if they're unisex or women's sizing since they're on the women's sheet, but assuming unisex?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Seeing Pearl Jam in Seattle is a bucket list item for a lot of fans. A lot of those fans are also hardcore collectors. I’ve seen many photos of collections of fans here that have duplicates of duplicates of damn near everything one could think of—nine of which is for sale or trade. Seems crazy to me, but it takes all kinds. 

I no longer have much of a collector mentality, but in my opinion, if I did and I were fortunate enough to be able to see my favorite band in their hometown for an event such as this, I could see myself making a 40-minute transaction. (I would also trust in my fellow fans to have some common decency and not film me and put it on the Internet for the pitchfork mob, but that’s just me being stupid again.)

I think the situational awareness falls more to the stand operators to recognize that they have a serious buyer on their hands and to handle who’s got next among the separate lines a little less rigidly until the big buyer has completed his/her transaction. 
    Unfortunately, I have read every single post of this thread, and there is not one instance of someone trying to gain this womans identity or one instance of going after her with the "Internet pitchfork mob".  Google Justine Sacco if you want to see that in action. 

In fact, read the initial post from the guy who posted the video:
    "Yep, once I entered the merch tent it was very nice with about 10 or more individual lines, I ended up in a line where three people (they all knew each other, perhaps traveling together) from Brazil each bought over $1,500.  Each one of the three bought over $1,500, it looked like they bought the limit of each item available.  I asked the young lady who helped me how much each order was and she said $1,500.  One of the three had previously been in another line and completed a large order and joined the other two in my line, we didn't expect him to do another purchase.  The bummer for me as each order took about 40 minutes to assemble, add up, and check out.  Two other folks ahead of me and several behind me must have waited over two hours for those three people to finish.  I got in line at 10:50 and left the merch tent at 3:30.  I'm not even exaggerating.  Link to some video I took:"

So first you blame Trump and now you go to Internet mobs...  What's next?
This discussion has been closed.