Apple becomes world's 1st trillion-dollar company

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Glad I got some of this a long time ago
  • Options
    Then they should afford to release a non-fucked Macbook Pro.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    That's how they get you to buy another one in order to increase company worth.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited August 2018
    Apple now mainly relies on branding instead of innovation... Who would have thunk that branding would be the more powerful of the two? Kind of depressing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    First American Company.

Some Chinese oil company was the first.

Still a huge deal!  Alphabet is around 900 billion.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    PJ_Soul said:
    Apple now mainly relies on branding instead of innovation... Who would have thunk that branding would be the more powerful of the two? Kind of depressing.
    In the spaces Apple participates in, I'm curious what you'd perceive as innovations that have surpassed Apple's recent initiatives (i.e. basic user-oriented IoT-integrated workflow management, development kits to make augmented/virtual reality applications approachable to design, custom-designed chips for unprecedented efficiency, taking an end-to-end approach to own the supply chain, etc). These are unglamorous initiatives that amount to a stronger user experience than I've encountered in my 20-odd years using PCs extensively.

I'd also encourage anyone with nerdy tendencies to look at Apple's Machine Learning blog (machinelearning.apple.com) to look at the astonishing work they put in to actually learn without selling client data. The cost of this has been slow development to Siri (arguably the most important product Apple makes) in the interest of privacy.

Don't get me wrong - preserving human privacy is a branding decision, but it aligns with the ethical stances of the company, and Apple has gone far beyond what is expected to maintain privacy on devices.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJ_Soul said:
    Indeed.  The whole reason I switched to apple many, many years ago was because the products and software were contemporary, stable, fun & easy to use, and long-lasting.  It's sad to watch how they've slowly abandoned many of those things that attracted me in the first place, especially the resiliency.  I bought an iMac because I was tired of buying new Windows computers every 2-3 years.  That iMac lasted me a decade. It still works, but the display is wonky and today's technological capacities have well-exceeded it's practicality.  Apple nowadays still builds products with functional resiliency, however they decide to stop supporting them on the software front about 5 years into the life, forcing obsolescence on you which means you have to buy new product even though the old product still works (and is still capable of handling current software demands).  There is very little innovation between product model iterations anymore but Apple drives this mentality of always having the latest, greatest thing even though it's really not much better than the current model. There were big changed between the original iPhone and the 3g, even more so then with the 4/5.  Since then they've just been minor functional tweaks with each iPhone model.  Jobs may have been a hard-ass but at least he forced his designers and engineer to their potential.  Seems like Cook is content with just being another garbage tech company spewing out newest apple iThing every 6 months with very little innovation.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    Oh, good, now they can start issuing these:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Maybe time to start paying some fucking taxes????
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    edited August 2018
    That's how they get you to buy another one in order to increase company worth.
    I guess.

I hate that my wonderful 2011 model broke. Can't pay the price for a 2018 model. They're getting worse and worse. Stuck with a DELL for the time being.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    If you invested $8 when they started, it would be worth $1 billion today.
    Really wish I could go back in time.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    mace1229 said:
    If you ever get there, pick up a few of these sealed while you're at it:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,646
    mace1229 said:

Well people here in MA couldn't!

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/when-apple-went-public-on-this-date-in-1980-massachusetts-warned-investors-to-stay-away-2017-12-11

Crazy stuff.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited August 2018
    Still using a 2003 Powerbook G4 in the shop.

Main computer is a 2010 Macbook Pro.  Stopped by Apple to ask a question and everyone loved it.  
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited August 2018
    Moved off Windows and Apple years ago.

Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Smellyman said:
    Moved off Windows and Apple years ago.

Wallace shouted "Freedom" while being killed by obsolete technology....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    How much of that stock price is attributed to sweatshops in China? I guess I have to give them kudos for investing in the suicide nets in the factory dormitories.
  • Options
    I don't think innovation is to keep adding more useless bells and whistles to a smart phone, tablet or computer ...

Innovation come's when someone develops a new and exciting product ...

What more do people want their phones, tablets and computers to do ...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    I don't think innovation is to keep adding more useless bells and whistles to a smart phone, tablet or computer ...

I'm holding out for teleportation.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited August 2018
    How much of that stock price is attributed to sweatshops in China? I guess I have to give them kudos for investing in the suicide nets in the factory dormitories.
    I found something flywallyfly & I agree about...

Nobody in the western world actually gives a shit about this, unfortunately. So much if our "stuff" is made this way, its impossible to avoid it I think

Apple doesn't want to help law enforcement access their products after a scumbag shoots up a bunch if people? Then I say fuck Apple, keep your stupid watch

And yes, what are they paying in taxes?
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    Yes, absolutely ... Apple is the only company exploiting the Chinese.  Apple did the right think by not creating a backdoor to people's devices.  Law enforcement has more than enough tools at their disposal to do their job.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Reading comprehension lacking this morning? Lol
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    it is definitely just a drop in the bucket but five years my school district purchased a MacBook air for every single middle school child; we are talking around 2600 students.  They also purchased hundreds of MacBooks for the elementary schools (we have ten k-5 schools in district). 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    edited August 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    it is definitely just a drop in the bucket but five years my school district purchased a MacBook air for every single middle school child; we are talking around 2600 students.  They also purchased hundreds of MacBooks for the elementary schools (we have ten k-5 schools in district). 
    I send you a Pearl Jam bootleg free of choice, if you swindle one out for me - Oceans 11 style.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    mcgruff10 said:
    I send you a Pearl Jam bootleg free of choice, if you swindle one out for me - Oceans 11 style.
    I wish I could!  The MacBook airs are awesome; they have totally changed everyone’s teaching. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    eddiec said:

I'm holding out for teleportation.
    I like...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520

mcgruff10 said:
    It's like drug dealers, give them the goods for free or super cheap.  Charge them up the ass once they're hooked.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    My 2010 macbook pro still works like a champ.  I have never gone13 months without a Windows laptop having hardware issues. Every brand. Same result
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Care to give some to the homeless?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited August 2018
    Care to give some to the homeless?
    Why would the homeless need MacBook Airs? ... Or do you mean just some of the Trillion dollars? If so.... I dunno, maybe they do. There is no way Apple isn't doing plenty of philanthropic deeds. I have no clue if any of that helps the homeless or not though.
    I would also like to see exactly how much they pay in taxes though.... Less this year than the previous I'm sure!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata