Options

'The Home Shows' X 'The Away Shows' Merch

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    edited August 2018

JBob87 said:
    Not to be a super nerd but I think it's actually the John Hancock building in the Chicago art not the Willis tower
    Correct.  And it's called the SEARS TOWER, not Willis!

MY BAD!

Post edited by PJNB on
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152

JBob87 said:
    Not to be a super nerd but I think it's actually the John Hancock building in the Chicago art not the Willis tower
    The sad part is that I don't even know what it's called any more. Point is, the "Road Trip" art has architecture and a mountain range which are representative of the 4 cities in the US tour 
  • Options

JBob87 said:
    It's also not the John Hancock building anymore.....it is now just simply being called "875 North Michigan"

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881

JBob87 said:
    It's also not the John Hancock building anymore.....it is now just simply being called "875 North Michigan"

Where's the eyeroll emoji?  Comiskey is another one that kills me even though I've despised the Sox my whole life, and the World amphitheater.  It goes on and on.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 911
    For anyone who's either born in Chicago or lived there pre-2000s, It's the Sears, the Hancock, and Comiskey.  Almost feel bad for Willis, Guarantee Rate, and others that paid  $$$ for naming rights.   
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited August 2018
    as someone who wasnt born yesterday around here,and touring the last 12 years at every year atleast 1 tourr ill say my opinion  this merch obsesion-flipping,trading shit that going on that getting worst and makes it more difficult just to get a shrt or a poster from show u went
    its clear that i hate flippers,everyone knows it..the big problem for me,,is that fans become instead of fans,,that just go to a show ,listen the song,get a poster to remember the show etc,,becomes instead of fans.,businessman
    they buy what ever they can from shows everywhere on the planet,from the merch booth,to ap sales,online,to 10c sales,to any record comapny release ..they bying every type of repease in any type of merch just to make money of it,or trade shit.,they see the whole as business..they dont give a fuck about the shows as they give for the merch,they never talk aboit the show,they domt post thewir review,they dont care for the 3 hours of music.what matters irto make business,make money,,make something from this merch thing..
    probably they searching during the show at facebook groups and at ebay and in lost dogs how much the second market goes and how the stickler worth and what trade they could do..i wish was 2-3 of them..well,,we had sawyer back then here..now there are tons around and everywhere..it makes me sick..cos they see the band as business and how to get something form it..and all this ruin it for all the rest fans and especially the casual ones who dont have a chance to get anything related to the band as merch..
    ill check merch,ill try to get a poster but thats it,,music is what i sign in for when i felt in love with this band,,and no merch will never makes me more happy than see them live..
    i got 10 shows pins and stickers and poster on europe tour..and i was more happy that today arrived at australia .when i sent em to another fan that will love them,me,,well,its a fuckin sticker,.,show was more important.for me,.,
    yes just sent to another fan for free....yes,including  fuckin emek roma poster,berlin,padova,and a couple more..,ones goes hundreds dollars in flipping pages and websites..and i felt good,didnt stressed at all.,,its just stuff..feels good to be a fan of this band and love them than be a businessman and on y care what u will earn from this..
    feels good to be a fan .and not a cashier in a bank

what is good,is that are tonsd of people out there just give theuir spare still for face value..i adore those people who just try to help others..
    #SayNoToFlippers
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    basebornbaseborn UK Posts: 143
    as someone who wasnt born yesterday around here,and touring the last 12 years at every year atleast 1 tourr ill say my opinion  this merch obsesion-flipping,trading shit that going on that getting worst and makes it more difficult just to get a shrt or a poster from show u went
    its clear that i hate flippers,everyone knows it..the big problem for me,,is that fans become instead of fans,,that just go to a show ,listen the song,get a poster to remember the show etc,,becomes instead of fans.,businessman
    they buy what ever they can from shows everywhere on the planet,from the merch booth,to ap sales,online,to 10c sales,to any record comapny release ..they bying every type of repease in any type of merch just to make money of it,or trade shit.,they see the whole as business..they dont give a fuck about the shows as they give for the merch,they never talk aboit the show,they domt post thewir review,they dont care for the 3 hours of music.what matters irto make business,make money,,make something from this merch thing..
    probably they searching during the show at facebook groups and at ebay and in lost dogs how much the second market goes and how the stickler worth and what trade they could do..i wish was 2-3 of them..well,,we had sawyer back then here..now there are tons around and everywhere..it makes me sick..cos they see the band as business and how to get something form it..and all this ruin it for all the rest fans and especially the casual ones who dont have a chance to get anything related to the band as merch..
    ill check merch,ill try to get a poster but thats it,,music is what i sign in for when i felt in love with this band,,and no merch will never makes me more happy than see them live..
    i got 10 shows pins and stickers and poster on europe tour..and i was more happy that today arrived at australia .when i sent em to another fan that will love them,me,,well,its a fuckin sticker,.,show was more important.for me,.,
    yes just sent to another fan for free....yes,including  fuckin emek roma poster,berlin,padova,and a couple more..,ones goes hundreds dollars in flipping pages and websites..and i felt good,didnt stressed at all.,,its just stuff..feels good to be a fan of this band and love them than be a businessman and on y care what u will earn from this..

Yep - frustrating isn't it. I have to say that for a band who are so focused on the fan experience etc (for which i'm super grateful), the whole way the merch operates is madness to me. I would love a Rome poster, i went to the show (from the UK) and it was great - but me having to pay a flipper $700 for a $30 poster so I have a memento is just beyond crazy. Surely offering guaranteed poster availability to a ticket holder isn't an impossibility - even if it's after the fact. I'd happily pay now for them to do a new print run and send them in 3/6/9 month's time. There has to be a better way........

I was at London 1 this summer and there were posters on ebay for £200 at 3pm the day of the show. That's an unacceptable situation in my opinion.
  • Options
    basebornbaseborn UK Posts: 143
    Oh, and if anyone wants to sell me a Rome poster for a reasonable price, please let me know. But someone on here was selling a DAMAGED one for $350 the other day. Another example of the craziness.
  • Options
    Remember how much bootlegs used to be before they started releasing the official downloads? I think there is the same opportunity here. Mass produce the merch. Drive down the secondary market value. 

Easier said than done. Production costs shipping etc etc. I'm confident improvements can be made. Feels like its maybe getting better? Lets see how it goes with these shows. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,066

what is good,is that are tonsd of people out there just give theuir spare still for face value..i adore those people who just try to help others..
    #SayNoToFlippers
    Thing is, this isn't unique to concert merch. If you're into craft beer or baseball cards or any collectible, the same thing happens. It's just microeconomics and the flippers cannot exist without the buyers.

10C does what they can, but it's impossible to precisely predict demand by item. It does them no good to sit on piles of stuff.

As an individual, all you can do is not participate. If you find yourself saying "Well all I want is..." you can stop right there. You're participating, you're part of the demand. Lament it all you want, but it is what it is at this point.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Yep- and to the guy on eBay who I messaged about how his asking price for the Eddie Brazil poster at $300 was ridiculous and he responded that it was worth more, I bought it from the shop for $35 the next day.  This shit is bonkers, I agree with you D.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,426
    pjl44 said:

#SayNoToFlippers
    Thing is, this isn't unique to concert merch. If you're into craft beer or baseball cards or any collectible, the same thing happens. It's just microeconomics and the flippers cannot exist without the buyers.

10C does what they can, but it's impossible to precisely predict demand by item. It does them no good to sit on piles of stuff.

As an individual, all you can do is not participate. If you find yourself saying "Well all I want is..." you can stop right there. You're participating, you're part of the demand. Lament it all you want, but it is what it is at this point.

This. Well said. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    Couldn't agree more.  I think year after year it gets less interesting to have the crazy lines and stress of the merch thing be appealing.  It's much more fun to go explore, meet old friends, make new ones and enjoy the show.  That said, I totally agree that an option to buy a poster given to those with a ticket to that show either before or after would be so wonderful.  The poster thing seems to be the most manipulated and fucked up in the aftermarket and it is also the hardest thing to tote around and keep safe at the shows as well
  • Options
    JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    edited August 2018
    A 10C ticket lottery winner bundle would be best IMO.  ya win the lottery you get  to buy the unique show shirt and poster only.  works better for a full tour rather than the stadium shows but still would help. my guess is some people would still line up and flip but at least you can get those items easier if you choose to.  I bet we are all willing to pay a little extra for this type of option too.
    Post edited by JP218404 on
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

#SayNoToFlippers

sure it is as u said..still is fucked up and i consider those people busineman and not fans of the band anymore
    its lame imo..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    I got tired of it for several reasons:

1. Wrigley 2013 kind of made me realize the insanity.  Hours in line (in that weather), days of merch sales, it all seemed crazy.  I wasn't willing to do any of it.

2. I have about 10 times the number of posters in a portfolio than I do on my walls.

3. I've started to value mobility more.  I'm a live show collector (not just official and not just PJ) and used to burn every show and have a wall of CDs.  It's all just stuff.  I see a lot of people die with collections (my job) and their kids or other beneficiaries don't give a shit.  It all gets trashed.  I'll spend my time, energy and money on experiences over stuff.

I think more of the older fans have given up on merch.  I'm actually relieved when I go to a show and the poster is ugly.  I'm best at no-brainers :)
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    pjl44 said:

#SayNoToFlippers

sure it is as u said..still is fucked up and i consider those people busineman and not fans of the band anymore
    its lame imo..
    Between GA line nonsense, ticket hoarding, shitting on poster artists, etc., flipping has moved down my list of fan transgressions a little more each year.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

#SayNoToFlippers

its lame imo..
    Between GA line nonsense, ticket hoarding, shitting on poster artists, etc., flipping has moved down my list of fan transgressions a little more each year.
    u got a point there
  • Options
    -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    Are you clowns lined up yet?
    Yes......

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • Options
    I met a guy at Wrigley last year who gave me some great advice. He is a dead head. Has gone to a ton of shows over his lifetime.

"Pay for experiences. Not stuff"

It really sunk in. In the time I was waiting in line for another poster that will sit in my portfolio, he was out having drinks and meeting people. In the end thats more enjoyable and valuable in any situation IMO. I try to apply that to anything I buy now. Do I really need another pair of shoes or another t shirt, or whatever? Or is the money better spent on an experience? The older I get the latter makes a heck of a lot more sense. Do what makes you happy. I can't fault those who want to wait in the lines (I've been there). But for me now, I'd rather meet people and hang with friends. You can't put a price tag on that. 
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,582
    Many people on this forum, called your friends and serious collectors are the same fucking flippers as those on eBay. No difference.
    I only care about music - live shows and vinyl and sometimes posters. I cannot afford Live on 2 Legs or Lost Dogs or many other vinyl. This is bullshit when you sell it for $200+ or $1000 like Benny. For some people the only way to get the vinyl is to buy fucking Rome poster for $35 and trade it or sell it. Don't blame them. Don't judge them. You aren't saint.
    Ps. I don't stay in merch line when it's longer than 5 minutes. The thing with Euro posters was fucked up. But I admire people who are in merch line for 24 or 48 h to get those fucking posters or stickers.
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 539
    it is funny how the thing im stressed out the most about wasn't:
    1. getting flights to and from seattle
    2. booking a room to stay in for a week
    3. getting tickets to the shows

its simply trying to get one poster and maybe a t shirt to commemorate this once in a lifetime event. 

Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    it is funny how the thing im stressed out the most about wasn't:
    1. getting flights to and from seattle
    2. booking a room to stay in for a week
    3. getting tickets to the shows

its simply trying to get one poster and maybe a t shirt to commemorate this once in a lifetime event. 

Getting one poster and a t-shirt was a breeze at Fenway last year
  • Options
    ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    Redrumh2o said:
    Does anyone know how Next Level brand fits/shrinks??

I was a L in AA (the 16 shirts fit perfectly), but a M in most other stuff. Some brands don't fit me at all as I am right in between and both are awkward. It is the shrinkage that always kills me so holding up shirts means nothing to me and I am not going to try on shirts over my other shirts in a line of angry ppl. I checked all my Ts and don't have anything that is Next level
    Just compared my TOTD AA shirt to 10C Next shirt and TOTD is longer in the torso. Sleeves seem to be about the same. I typically wear large in shirts as I like them to be a bit big, and both of these are large and I have no issues. The TOTD might be a bit less of a slimmer fit but I'm pretty skinny so can't tell if its that or just the extra length that makes it feel a bit bigger.

2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • Options
    ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    sounds like its not AA or Next though

2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    I keep thinking of that scene in American Gangster where the character played by Denzel Washington masks his identity so he can pull up to the block and watch his heroin sell. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    Steadyd84Steadyd84 Brattleboro, VT Posts: 33
    DC29940 said:
    Chadplam said:
    DC29940 said:
    demetrios said:
    gruene9 said:

This will be the outside merch booth??

No official word yet but guessing it will probably be. And not just one merch set up but 4 location around the stadium. 
    My wife and I will be headed straight to the stadium when we get into town on Tuesday (assuming they have booths up the day before like they have in the past) so we’ll be the nerds standing in the merch line with our suitcases
    same here if its open monday

Thank you for making me feel a little less crazy.
    My brother and I fly out of Austin at ~6:45am CT Tuesday, land at 8:55am PT. The plan is to grab a Lyft to the merch (with luggage in hand lol), then to Airbnb to drop stuff off, then back to Safeco to wait in GA line!
    San Antonio, Texas 04-05-2003
    San Antonio, Texas 11-16-2012 (EV)
    Dallas, Texas 11-15-2013
    Austin, Texas 10-05-2014
    Austin, Texas 10-12-2014
    Chicago, Illinois 08-20-2016
    Chicago, Illinois 08-22-2016
    Seattle, Washington 08-08-2018
    Seattle, Washington 08-10-2018
    Nashville, Tennessee 09-16-2022 
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,768
    To be honest, the last few shows I either shopped on off days or just bought on eBay while waiting in a slow moving line. My walls are getting close to the point where I need to sell framed prints or stop buying altogether.

It's a profitable industry if you hustle, and everyone's hustling (tickets, GA line positions, posters, misc merch). We all realize that this won't last forever and we're either trying to profit or squeeze every ounce we can from this band. 

If you focus on the sideshows of $$$ and not on seeing an amazing band performance, you lose out on why you made the trip.

• Options
    jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    All I want is a poster and a hat for my son! 
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    Saw the massive merch tent set up across the street already during the pregame footage. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
This discussion has been closed.