Options

Best 90's British Rock Band?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited July 2018
    James and Radiohead
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,956
    Oasis
    How does a band like The Verve get in this conversation?  The only song I've ever heard from them wasn't even theirs...

Cranberries?  Close enough, lol.
    Radiohead?
    Front 242?
    Bush?
    Garbage?

Maybe you should check them out. The Verve were amazing, History, Sonnet, Lucky Man, On Your Own, Space and Time, Drugs Don't Work etc etc all classics.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983
    Oasis
    tino_11 said:
    How does a band like The Verve get in this conversation?  The only song I've ever heard from them wasn't even theirs...

Radiohead?
    Front 242?
    Bush?
    Garbage?

Maybe you should check them out. The Verve were amazing, History, Sonnet, Lucky Man, On Your Own, Space and Time, Drugs Don't Work etc etc all classics.
    "classics"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Oasis
    dankind said:
    No Coder said:
    I voted Blur, but Radiohead are streets ahead of everyone on the list. Oasis, James and The Verve are also high up
    James is British? For some reason, I always thought they were Canadian. Good band. 
    bluegrace said:
    I'd say Radiohead, and I also miss Garbage on there.
    Garbage is from Wisconsin. 
    Hahaha! Insert jorts wearing Packers fan jokes here. :lol:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I wish James were Canadian - then I would have certainly seen them play.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Pulp
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think I thought that because they weren’t joyless like every other British band from the 1990s.

All of that good nature seems totally Canadian. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    I would not say any of these bands are "bad" but if 90's British Rock and Pop bands were the only music in the world I would make my self play and sing a lot more than I do and start making records myself.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think I thought that because they weren’t joyless like every other British band from the 1990s.

What a nice Canadian compliment, lol.
  • Options
    Pulp
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Take off, you hoser!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Take off, you hoser!

• Options
    dogmattdogmatt Posts: 100
    Radiohead
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,956
    Oasis
    tino_11 said:

Radiohead?
    Front 242?
    Bush?
    Garbage?

"classics"
    Maybe it's a UK thing but The Verve are very highly regarded here. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    The Verve
    tino_11 said:

Radiohead?
    Front 242?
    Bush?
    Garbage?

"classics"
    Just because you don’t like them / haven’t heard them, doesn’t mean they’re not classics 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Stone Roses
    East 17 lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,262
    Blur
    Bush (1992-2002 & 2010-present)
    Cranberries (1989-2003 & 2009-2018)
    Arab Strap (1995-2006 & 2011 & 2016-present)
    Portishead (1991-1999 & 2005-present)
    Prodigy (1990-present)

P.S: Radiohead (1985-present)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872
    Pap said:
    Bush (1992-2002 & 2010-present)
    Cranberries (1989-2003 & 2009-2018)
    Arab Strap (1995-2006 & 2011 & 2016-present)
    Portishead (1991-1999 & 2005-present)
    Prodigy (1990-present)

P.S: Radiohead (1985-present)
    They formed in '85 they didn't put out anything though until '92
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,262
    Blur
    eeriepadave said: They formed in '85 they didn't put out anything though until '92
    Technically, you're right. Since all their demo releases from 1986-1991 were under the On a Friday and Shindig monikers. :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Magic_JMagic_J Uk Posts: 28
    edited July 2018
    I was all about most of these bands at the time, prolly more so than bands from the US at that time (heretical to say that here I know! ;) ) but now there’s few of them I can tolerate listening to much more than the odd song here and there with the exception of Radiohead I suppose. And Portishead and Massive Attack too as someone else has mentioned, but they’re not rock so wouldn’t have thought of them in the context of this poll. 
    Post edited by Magic_J on
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,983
    Oasis
    goldrush said:
    tino_11 said:

Radiohead?
    Front 242?
    Bush?
    Garbage?

"classics"
    Just because you don’t like them / haven’t heard them, doesn’t mean they’re not classics 
    Just because you like them /have heard them, doesn't mean they are classics 

:)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Blur
    goldrush said:
    tino_11 said:

Radiohead?
    Front 242?
    Bush?
    Garbage?

"classics"

Their second album, A Northern Soul,  is a great album and then after a break up and get back together, they released Urban Hymns. This album was MASSIVE in the UK at the time. I was living in Scotland the year this was released (Aussie on a working holiday) and these guys were everywhere. " The Drugs Don't Work" is an absolute GEM of a song and Bittersweet Symphony is a banger - who gives a shit if it includes 4 bars from a Stones song
    Plenty of people and critics have this album as a classic and whilst I don't think they are a better band than most on the list, they did release one of the best albums in the 90's IMO.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    The Verve
    No Coder said:
    goldrush said:
    tino_11 said:

Radiohead?
    Front 242?
    Bush?
    Garbage?

"classics"

Their second album, A Northern Soul,  is a great album and then after a break up and get back together, they released Urban Hymns. This album was MASSIVE in the UK at the time. I was living in Scotland the year this was released (Aussie on a working holiday) and these guys were everywhere. " The Drugs Don't Work" is an absolute GEM of a song and Bittersweet Symphony is a banger - who gives a shit if it includes 4 bars from a Stones song
    Plenty of people and critics have this album as a classic and whilst I don't think they are a better band than most on the list, they did release one of the best albums in the 90's IMO.

A Northern Soul was a trippy album. it was totally overlooked in the US at the time.

Most Americans probably consider them a 1 hit wonder although they had been playing long before they had a hit with Bittersweet Symphony. and the fact that the Stones sued them makes me hate Mick and Keef a little bit more.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Pulp
    I voted for Pulp because I felt bad for them. That song from Trainspotting is pretty groovy. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    dadesdades Posts: 321
    Stone Roses
    Stone Roses. Just fantastic.  =)
    Glasgow Cathouse 1992
    Glasgow S.E.C.C. 2000
    Shepherds Bush 2009 - M.E.N 2009 - London O2 2009
    Boston 2010 - Newark 2010 - MSG1+2 2010 - Dublin 2010 - Belfast 2010
    London 2010
    Manchester 1+2 2012 EV Manchester 2012 EV London 31/7/2012
    Philly 1+2 2013 - Hartford 2013
    Berlin 2014 Leeds 2014
    Fenway 2 2016
    EV London 1+2 2017
    London 1+2 - Berlin 2018
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    edited July 2018
    Oasis
    Sixteen stone by bush is still one of my favorite albums of all time.  Alien is a top three song for me  so my vote goes to Bush. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Oasis
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sixteen stone by bush is still one of my favorite albums of all time.  Alien is a top three song for me  so my vote goes to Bush. 
    Sixteen Stone kicks ass! They’ve honestly never made a bad album.
  • Options
    TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    Stone Roses
    How anyone could vote for anything other than The Stone Roses is beyond me. I will just chalk it up to the fact that they never really found the proper audience in America that they deserved.... 

Oasis and The Stone Roses are two of my all time favourite bands and the question of which is better seems to constantly come up. It's such an easy and obvious answer in my eyes though because without SR there would be no Oasis. Not only have Liam and Noel worked/toured with SR but they have also cited their music specifically as direct influence as to why they started playing. Liam even cites one specific moment in time to when he heard a SR song as the moment he decided to become a musician. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    I the poll said U.K. instead of just England I would say you'd have to include My Bloody Valentine.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SP145555SP145555 Cardiff Posts: 39
    All of these options are wrong. The correct answer is The Wildhearts. They are still great live too, you leave their shows after singing along to every word. 

Earth Vs The Wildhearts is possibly the best British album of the 90s
  • Options
    SP145555SP145555 Cardiff Posts: 39
    Bec88 said:
    No Stereophonics or Manic Street Preachers love? 
    None for the Stereophonics, plenty for the Manics though. I bumped into James Dean Bradfield in Cardiff a few days after I got back from France for Euro 2016. I had my daughter with me, I stopped him to say I had been a big fan for 25 years and he stooped straight down to say hello to my daughter. Real down to earth, great guy.

Kelly Jones is a cock though