Can too much Pearl Jam be a bad thing?

2»

Comments

• iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    iammine16 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, for some people. There are healthy obsessions and unhealthy obsessions. I don't think anything is exempt from the unhealthy side of things, depending on who you're dealing with. There are some badly obsessed PJ fans for sure, where they kind of start being motivated more by a sense of desperation rather than fun.
    And I'd say that those who can only feel disappointed after shows now because of the setlist have probably crossed over to the dark side after seeing way too many shows for their own good, and getting way into collecting songs. I've known a few PJ fans like that.
    I am in a way lucky being from Vancouver that I haven't gone to too many shows that I cant remember them. The Seattle shows will be my 10th and 11th and I remember every moment from my previous 9 shows. The magic of seeing them is still there for me.
    Ha, I'm from Vancouver, and Seattle will be 10 and 11 for me too.  :)
    Nice!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I went from 91till 2008 obsessed with the band and now I can’t get through a complete bootleg at all I tried to listen to Amsterdam show from this recent tour made it through two songs before I stopped listening , skipping all of the Home/away shows I still keep my membership going feel like I have too till the end ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    I went from 91till 2008 obsessed with the band and now I can’t get through a complete bootleg at all I tried to listen to Amsterdam show from this recent tour made it through two songs before I stopped listening , skipping all of the Home/away shows I still keep my membership going feel like I have too till the end ....
    What happened ?
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    iammine16 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, for some people. There are healthy obsessions and unhealthy obsessions. I don't think anything is exempt from the unhealthy side of things, depending on who you're dealing with. There are some badly obsessed PJ fans for sure, where they kind of start being motivated more by a sense of desperation rather than fun.
    And I'd say that those who can only feel disappointed after shows now because of the setlist have probably crossed over to the dark side after seeing way too many shows for their own good, and getting way into collecting songs. I've known a few PJ fans like that.
    I am in a way lucky being from Vancouver that I haven't gone to too many shows that I cant remember them. The Seattle shows will be my 10th and 11th and I remember every moment from my previous 9 shows. The magic of seeing them is still there for me.
    I'm just moving to north of Vancouver (Gibsons) on Monday and Seattle will be #7 and #8 for me!
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    rummy said:
    iammine16 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm just moving to north of Vancouver (Gibsons) on Monday and Seattle will be #7 and #8 for me!
    Good luck with the move! And welcome to the west coast. I just got back from a Sunshine Coast holiday (Roberts Creek, Powell River).  Love it there. Lucky you.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    rummy said:
    iammine16 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Good luck with the move! And welcome to the west coast. I just got back from a Sunshine Coast holiday (Roberts Creek, Powell River).  Love it there. Lucky you.
    Thank you. I think/hope it's a good move - it'll be VERY different than Markham, Ontario.

My wife grew up in Vancouver and moved back to Ontario in the middle of high school. We met, married, had kids, etc almost 16 years ago and she'd been bugging me to move out there since. I was curious but never had the guts to "leave it all behind" - until now, I guess. 

It sounds cheesy but these Seattle shows are "big" for me...might not be as easy to get to shows in the future (damn ferry) but will make it work if necessary.

Anyway, as of now, there can't be enough Pearl Jam for me!!!! 

• ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited July 2018

"There are some badly obsessed PJ fans for sure, where they kind of start being motivated more by a sense of    desperation rather than fun".

I go through phases where I do not listen to the band for months, in one right now.

This happens especially before I see them. This way when they walk on stage the sound "fresh" after not hearing any P.J.  for months.

Never ever listen to the band your going to see on the day of the show.

14 shows in the span of 27 years.

My woman has seen them 18 times since the 2003 Riot Act tour. The first P.J. show I took her to.

She's going to Wrigley II. I stay home . My eldest son moves to college on that day.

When I SAW PEARL JAM on Halloween in Philly, there was a woman on the train down to the show who had seen the  band 58 times in a 6 year span.

We should start a Pearl Jam Therapy group.

Is there a psychologist in the house ? 

Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland