*** Barcelona, Spain Fanviews Here 7/10/18 ***

2»

Comments

• The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    The good thing about last night's version was that for the most part he didn't attempt and embarassingly fail with the high notes. He chose to sing those parts in the lower register, and the performance was all the better for it.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • BrokenGlassBrokenGlass Posts: 298
    Pap said:

My God. I hope the rest of the show was better than that.  That was fucking horrible.  Ed sounds like shit, Stone lost interest and quit playing about half way through, and Jeff looks bored.
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,355
    Pap said:

My God. I hope the rest of the show was better than that.  That was fucking horrible.  Ed sounds like shit, Stone lost interest and quit playing about half way through, and Jeff looks bored.
    This is a pleasant enough song, but there isn't much too it really. I can't imagine it's overly fun to play. However, I've seen Stone give up towards the end of a song more than once over the years. Different songs, too.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Pap said:

I don't know about Ed sounding like shit, but yeah, the high notes are a reach for him these days. Otherwise, it sounded as good as I've heard it the last several years.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • ladydocNYCladydocNYC Posts: 635
    Any show that has NAIS, Light Years, Come Back and Smile is going to be a special one.  The fact they played Oceans in spot 12....leaves me 
    I agree NAIS, Light Years and Smile were terrific.  I would think some people were excited about Ghost, that’s not exactly standard.  I have never loved Oceans but also thought there’d be a lot of appreciation for that especially at a surprising place in the set list.

The energy of the crowd was insane and incredibly euphoric!
  • CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    edited July 2018
    The set was quite hits packed but the energy in the building was fantastic and the band was very tight.

On a side note, having seen two shows this tour I gotta say that it´s nice to have certain songs back at normal tempo. Some songs have gotten too speedy in recent years and therefore felt rushed. I think the band has done a great job this tour playing them the way they should be
    Post edited by CharlieP on

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 593
    CharlieP said:
    The set was quite hits packed but the energy in the building was fantastic and the band was very tight.

On a side note, having seen two shows this tour I gotta say that it´s nice to have certain songs back at normal tempo. Some songs have gotten too speedy in recent years and therefore felt rushed. I think the band has done a great job this tour playing them the way they should be
    Great to here about some songs being back close to normal tempo. Off the top I think of tracks like Wishlist, Light Years, In Hiding, GTF. I'd take 
    less songs for the slower tempo any day. 
  • ozzykillerozzykiller Isle Of Wight , UK Posts: 105
    edited July 2018
    I took my 7 year old daughter to her first ever show (she's only done festivals previously) We flew over from the UK.
    We had 10C GA tickets so I was a bit worried about if she would be able to see etc.
    She had a blast, we stood to the side of the stage Mike's side, had a great view and we could dance and rock out. She began to fade about half hour in, but she stuck with it, we went to get refreshments and a toilet break and there was no looking back. Lighting Bolt is her favourite song and she was so chuffed that played it. She had so many high fives and danced with so many people standing around us.
    She managed to spot one of Mike's guitar pic's on the floor too, so she had a lovely souvenir from her 1st ever show (daddy's been to 29 now and had no joy). I think she's caught the bug.
    BTW- If anyone has a spare sticker from the show we would love to buy one because the tiny merch stand was empty by the time we got into the venue, as I didn't want to get in too early and have her standing around for too long before the show.
    Post edited by ozzykiller on
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Pap said:

horrible?  Not sure what you would expect as this sounds like it always does.  Stone stopped playing because he didn't have a part to play.  Just because he has a guitar hanging around his neck doesn't mean the song calls for him to play it 100% of the time.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Pap said:

horrible?  Not sure what you would expect as this sounds like it always does.  Stone stopped playing because he didn't have a part to play.  Just because he has a guitar hanging around his neck doesn't mean the song calls for him to play it 100% of the time.
    Exactly.  And he started playing again later in the song anyway.  it happens quite frequently when they play songs with three guitar parts.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,136
    It feels like I was at a different gig to some of the comments in here. We stood at sound engineering, the sound was great, there was space to move and the crowd were intense, loud and passionate. I loved it. Oceans into Light Years left me in tears. 

Yes there might have been 'hits' but when you're in a crowd who are singing so loud, smiling so much and being swept up into each song then hell to it. Surely it was the hits that got us into the band in the first place. I know few people who decided to listen to them based on whale song (extreme example admittedly but you get what I mean). Sometimes I think we as fans become a bit too focused on songs on a set and not atmosphere. 

I have seen seven shows this Euro tour (one more to go), and I think that this crowd was enjoying it the most of those I attended. It felt that a large proportion of the people in the room were thankful and grateful to get to see the band play a non festival show in Spain. I mean the fans put on their own poster exhibition.
    Let's see what London redux brings. 

2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    London redux will bring it! I’m tellin ya!
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    great show, cracking energy. My favourite thing is to see Pearl Jam, this was a favourite night. Who cares if they didn’t play a song about a mop, Jeffery Dahmer or a red dot. It was phenomenal to be there and I felt very lucky to be so. Great night, great city, great people.
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    belfast1 said:
    London redux will bring it! I’m tellin ya!
    That’s what I’m thinking too ! :) 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • MS142392MS142392 Posts: 37
    The Rock said:
    The Rock said:
    I'm sat at the airport with a croissant and hot chocolate, and I'm so so glad I made the trip for this one.  The energy was very high all night, setlist was nice and varied. The Riot Act and Binaural love this tour has been wonderful.

I took it easy for this one and had a lower tier seat. It was immense watching the crowd on the floor nuts, and I was in a super cool section where almost everyone was rocking out. Nobody sat down all night, it was a total party.

Ghost, NAIS, Oceans, Light Years, Setting Forth were fantastic additions to the main set, and Come Back in the encore was stunning.  The energy during RVM was sick and it blew the roof off.

Alive-Baba-Yellow Ledbetter is always my favourite run to end a show and this was no different. House lights on,  every soul singing and dancing. It was pure joy.

Were you the guy with the Get Right sign Mike's side in the lower seats?

Energy was so high for this one. Crowd so loud.
    Nah I was lower tier 103 on Stone's side.

I don't know how anyone can complain about a set in 2018 that has Ghost, Oceans, NAIS, Light Years. 

I think the band have realised that the main set is the best time to throw in the rarities, but the encores are when they need to keep the energy up. That means you need the big guns. They're part of why we love this band! Too many rarities kills a crowd. Last night, the energy built and built, so by the time we got to Alive it was one big party. Just as it should be! 

I think if it gets to the point where you're disappointed to hear the hits, you've perhaps seen too many shows. I want Alive/Porch/RVM/Even Flow etc at every show. 
    I agree with The Rock. The sense of entitlement among much of our fan base has gotten to be too much, I think.
    3/20/94--Ann Arbor, MI
    6/14/98--Washington, DC
    8/7/00--Atlanta, GA
    4/28/03--Philadelphia, PA
    10/3/05--Philadelphia, PA
    6/19/08--Camden, NJ
    10/31/09--Philadelphia, PA (viva la Spectrum)
    10/21/13--Philadelphia, PA
    4/29/16--Philadelphia, PA (a/k/a The Night They Played TEN)
    9/14/22–Camden, NJ
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Being in GA this night it didn’t matter what they played. The crowd was intense and I loved every second of this show. By far one of the top shows I’ve seen due to the crowd alone, it was loud, rocking and hot as hell!! 

NYPJ
  • PB212847PB212847 Posts: 1
    I flew from in Melbourne, Australia to see this show for my 40th b'day and what an experience! I didn't care what the setlist comprised of and was totally beside myself rocking it out in GA! The crowd was something else and it was an amazing night. I was super stoked to hear Smile - and not surprisingly had no voice left by the end of the night..... 
    Now back to waiting..... come back to play Oz, come back to play Oz.....
     =) 
  • I really enjoyed this show, the energy was amazing and the 1 litre beers went down a treat haha. Come back was the highlight for me - my favourite PJ song. 
  • DamozDamoz Posts: 1
    This was my first PJ show and I can only echo the comments above.   What a crowd, what a night.   

The setlist will never keep everyone happy, but for a live show I'd expect the most important thing to be the night.  And it was a night - what a night.   Awesome.

I can't believe I've left this 25 years and have to go to the next round.  Please don't stop yet guys.
  • AI114578AI114578 Posts: 16
    edited July 2018
    The band were on top form for this show, and played an incredible set. Agreed not too many rarely played songs but I felt the set was well balanced. Stared well with Long road and built solidly. Encores were spot on and finishing on Baba/yellow ledbetter, what can I say. The band were enjoying themselves and having a lot of fun. Their energy is infectious, they clearly enjoy their jobs and I really hope they continue for a long time yet. 

However, what really made it was the energy of the crowd. Perhaps the best that I have been part of. An unforgettable night, but then any night with Pearl Jam is unforgettable. Can't wait for the next one! 
    Post edited by AI114578 on
  • pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    Damoz said:
    This was my first PJ show and I can only echo the comments above.   What a crowd, what a night.   

The setlist will never keep everyone happy, but for a live show I'd expect the most important thing to be the night.  And it was a night - what a night.   Awesome.

I can't believe I've left this 25 years and have to go to the next round.  Please don't stop yet guys.
    yes setlist wise, not the best
    but who cares about the setlist if the crowd was that good
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Eddies voice is really strong on the boot. Didn't even skip Small Town.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    Barcelona bootleg has finally arrived. While at the gig, I remember feeling the sound in the house was not the best and that the setlist was a tad too hits filled. But man, the boot sounds perfect and the band is very on point. Right tempos, dynamics and all. And the crowd is LOUD! So glad I attended. What a fucking show and bootleg

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)