Options

TONIGHT’S LONDON SHOW POSTPONED

Comments

• Options
    Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    You could see and hear how much he was struggling on the first night. He mentioned that he'd seen two doctors that day and that his songs may not sound the same way (he wanted to sound like Adele but all the doctor could manage was Liam Gallagher). He did give his best but clearly couldn't keep up and seemed to be in pain because he kept rubbing his throat like he was uncomfortable. As people mentioned here before the crowd sang a lot for him and it felt so me like Mike's solos were longer than usual. Everyone seemed to be trying to take the pressure off him. It was a special show, because the crowd came together to support PJ when they needed us. 

I personally wasn't surprised when they announced that night 2 got cancelled. It took a second to register but I knew the city was full of PJ fans and there'd be something going on that night.  There was a tribute band (they had already played the night before the first show) and they managed to pull an impromptu gig together, funnily enough at the Borderline where PJ played in 1992. Initially they had didn't know, if their drummer could make it, so they asked Matt Cameron, who unfortunately declined (that would have been epic!). But it did work out and was awesome! Every single person in that room went home half deaf and happy. 

Other people ended up at other concerts or the pub or spend more time sight seeing. I think the vast majority found something else to do and made the best out of the situation. 
    And I am sure most people understand the decision wasn't make lightly, because the band understands that people traveled from all over the world to see them. They wouldn't have done this, if there had been another way. But just check out videos from night one and you'll understand why night two couldn't happen.
    Every single person I talked to understood why it was necessary to postpone the concert and that Eddie's health comes first and that we'd rather lose some money, time and holidays than his voice forever! I'd rather he take it slow and be able to perform in the future! 

That being said. Feel better Eddie! Drink some ginger, honey and lemon tea! Take all the time you need to heal fully! Prague won't be the same without PJ but it would still be one of the most beautiful cities in Europe! 
  • Options
    LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    Eddie,  I hope you're feeling better. As sad as it would be for some, you're voice needs to rest until it's completely better. It just doesn't seem like enough time for healing. You don't want to do damage to your vocal cords by going back too soon. I'm sure your doctor has already advised you and you know what to do or can do. If not Milan, at least fans will still have a chance to see you in Rome. Better for fans to lose a couple shows than to not hear that beautiful voice again. 
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 715
    I really hope the band is reading these comments from their hotel rooms, and realizing how much we all love them and how much we care about them. Without Pearl Jam man, I would not be the person I am today. All their songs are just pure emotion.

If anybody in the band is up late reading these, please play Leash in Seattle.
  • Options
    BS262417BS262417 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Milan show is getting cancelled or not? Is it a normal flu or is it a condition with the vocal cords???? I wish we could get some updates from the band:)

• Options
    neddie vedderneddie vedder 93 million miles from the sun Posts: 191
    Well, whatever happens we’re about to travel to Liverpool airport for the Milan flight, so good luck to everyone travelling to the Italy shows and here’s hoping for some good news  :)
    Manchester 09, Hyde Park 10, Berlin 10, Manchester 1+2 2012, EV Manchester 2012, EV London 1+2 2012, Amsterdam 1+2 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, EV London 1+2 2017, EV Dublin 2017, London 2018, Milan 2018, Padova 2018, Rome 2018, Berlin 2018, EV Florence 2019, EV Barolo 2019, EV Madrid 2019, Berlin 2022, London 1+2 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022

• Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    BS262417 said:
    Does anyone know if the Milan show is getting cancelled or not? Is it a normal flu or is it a condition with the vocal cords???? I wish we could get some updates from the band:)

No information yet except Dimi saying Italy should be fine and he usually knows more than we do
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,740
    BS262417 said:

No information yet except Dimi saying Italy should be fine and he usually knows more than we do
    Hope Dimi is right but I thought he was just going off of the Livenation Italy report that it was still on as planned. Pretty pathetic Alternativenation ran with it as a "Major Update" sourcing Dimi. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,880
    Dimi  does not know more than any other fan. He probably  researched and saw the livenation site that's all.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    SeafraSeafra Dublin Ireland Posts: 44
    Ed should give his voice a good rest ..crazy after seen two Doctors cancelled one show and then continues..crazy shit..give it a REST man..If he keeps going ..I fear career over...voice would be damaged beyond repair
  • Options
    juusbajuusba Finland Posts: 3
    Really hope that Eddie can make the rest of the shows. Feeling so sorry for all you (including my work buddy and her husband from Finland) who made the London trip and did not get to see PJ!

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,880
    Seafra said:
    Ed should give his voice a good rest ..crazy after seen two Doctors cancelled one show and then continues..crazy shit..give it a REST man..If he keeps going ..I fear career over...voice would be damaged beyond repair
    Agreed
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133
    I imagine due to insurance issues they can't really give any updates until a definite decision is made one way or another.  Insurance will probably mean a decision can't be made until almost the last minute.  Night before or early morning.  They obviously know people will be coming from all over to the show but I think it's a bit of a balancing act.  There will be business pressures to consider.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    Seafra said:
    What makes you think that? I’m pretty sure Ed can afford some good doctors and is better off listening to them vs listening to the internet. He should do what his doctors are telling him to do.

if it’s just a sickness....it’s reasonable for him to continue once it’s passed, why wouldn’t it be?

And he really hasn’t been using that voice an awful lot in recent years, I can’t imagine what a “long rest” would look like.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,695
    tino_11 said:
    Let's hope the new date is announced soon so we can start booking travel and accomodation. 

Also, I'd be happy to contact Dan Mumford if PJ are stuck for a poster artist at short notice ;-)
    tino_11 said:
    Let's hope the new date is announced soon so we can start booking travel and accomodation. 

Also, I'd be happy to contact Dan Mumford if PJ are stuck for a poster artist at short notice ;-)
    LOVE this idea
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    edited June 2018

And he really hasn’t been using that voice an awful lot in recent years, I can’t imagine what a “long rest” would look like.
    Maybe it’s part of the issue and that he needs a new type of preparation even when the band does not tour.
    if I take the example of James Hetfield, he has blown out his voice when performing live and he has since adapted his techniques...however, it does not prevent from catching cold and flu.
    I hope Eddie will recover soon.
    Post edited by aurelgugus on
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    SeafraSeafra Dublin Ireland Posts: 44
    Look I'm not a head doctor or a throat doctor for that matter but common sense prevails...and why I say I'm not a head doctor it's pretty obvious why Ed of the last year ( although I know they are workaholic s) but of the last year Ed is pretty much pushing himself ( ie death of Chris maybe)..look the point is pushing hard has dire consequences..
  • Options
    prlprl Posts: 125
    I don't know anything about what Eddie does or does not do to protect his voice before, during of after touring, so this is merely my opinion on what I think he should do:

A singer's voice is his instrument and he should treat it like that. He shouldn't drink or smoke as it negatively influences his voice, damaging it sooner than what would naturally happen. It actually shocked me to see him joke around with that in London night 1 when he said that he didn't know why his voice was like that after all the syrup he was having (refering to wine... he actually handled the next bottle to the crowd).

Like a guitar player will rehearse the songs before the tour starts, the singer should also take measures to protect and prepare his voice for the upcoming tour. And as he ages, his voice will naturally require more care, more rest time. He should have the appropriate drinks and do exercises (like James Hetfield does as someone mentioned earlier). Getting a singing coach would probably be a good option at this stage.

I don't know what caused this. Maybe he's just sick or maybe he blew his voice because he was careless. I know it was the last thing he wanted to happen as it affected not only the band and the show promoter but also a lot of fans who, like myself, travelled to see that show and won't be able to be back for the replacement show. I hope he's conscious of the importance of taking care of his voice. Otherwise he'll be doing a lot of surfing but not a lot of singing.

• Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    prl said:
    I don't know anything about what Eddie does or does not do to protect his voice before, during of after touring, so this is merely my opinion on what I think he should do:

A singer's voice is his instrument and he should treat it like that. He shouldn't drink or smoke as it negatively influences his voice, damaging it sooner than what would naturally happen. It actually shocked me to see him joke around with that in London night 1 when he said that he didn't know why his voice was like that after all the syrup he was having (refering to wine... he actually handled the next bottle to the crowd).

Like a guitar player will rehearse the songs before the tour starts, the singer should also take measures to protect and prepare his voice for the upcoming tour. And as he ages, his voice will naturally require more care, more rest time. He should have the appropriate drinks and do exercises (like James Hetfield does as someone mentioned earlier). Getting a singing coach would probably be a good option at this stage.

I don't know what caused this. Maybe he's just sick or maybe he blew his voice because he was careless. I know it was the last thing he wanted to happen as it affected not only the band and the show promoter but also a lot of fans who, like myself, travelled to see that show and won't be able to be back for the replacement show. I hope he's conscious of the importance of taking care of his voice. Otherwise he'll be doing a lot of surfing but not a lot of singing.

I think that there is too much drama and I am not referring just to your post.
    He has the freedom to do whatever he likes with his voice as much as we have the freedom to go or not go to one of Pearl Jam's shows.
    I can hear too that his voice is getting worst over the years but I choose to attend their shows so I feel I am not entilted to tell him what to do or not do with his voice.
    With love from Greece
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    hankholetsgohankholetsgo Posts: 125
    edited June 2018
    Seafra said:
    Look I'm not a head doctor or a throat doctor for that matter but common sense prevails...and why I say I'm not a head doctor it's pretty obvious why Ed of the last year ( although I know they are workaholic s) but of the last year Ed is pretty much pushing himself ( ie death of Chris maybe)..look the point is pushing hard has dire consequences..

Hahahahahhaha. Workaholics. One album in almost a decade and 20 some odd shows in a year. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJNB said:
    BS262417 said:

Hope Dimi is right but I thought he was just going off of the Livenation Italy report that it was still on as planned. Pretty pathetic Alternativenation ran with it as a "Major Update" sourcing Dimi. 
    altnation constantly uses him as their source of "major updates". it's comical. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    PJNB said:
    BS262417 said:

altnation constantly uses him as their source of "major updates". it's comical. 
    I think it's funny too, although Dimitris does seem to know a lot! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497

Seafra said:
    Yes he is sad with chris stuff but this got nothing to do with it LOL
    hes is just sick at the wrong time
    he’s a professional Im sure he’ll continue when gets well
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Get well Ed! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    prlprl Posts: 125
    deftones said:
    prl said:

He has the freedom to do whatever he likes with his voice as much as we have the freedom to go or not go to one of Pearl Jam's shows.
    I can hear too that his voice is getting worst over the years but I choose to attend their shows so I feel I am not entilted to tell him what to do or not do with his voice.
    With love from Greece

Well, I wrote that with the assumption that they want to continue touring and they want to provide quality shows (at least that's what their prices suggest). Of course everyone has the freedom to do whatever they want, Eddie may want to blow out his voice and I might want to go see in him sing in sign language. That's not the point.

It's not a matter of drama (well, to a certain extent it is, because we all want to see the band playing for many more years to come) or entitlement. We're just sharing our opinions on what we think is wrong and how it could be better. Nothing more than that.
  • Options
    DogboyDogboy Posts: 44
    This is such a shit situation for ticketholders for the cancelled London show .......PJ are understandably gonna wait and see how the next few shows go with Eds voice before committing to the London show! Agree?.........therefore i dont think re-scheduled date is gonna be announced  for a week or so at best , leaving folk like me who already forked out a fortune on flights, trains , hotels ,etc ........at the mercy of short notice airline and hotel booking prices to be fleeced again
  • Options
    Dogboy said:
    This is such a shit situation for ticketholders for the cancelled London show .......PJ are understandably gonna wait and see how the next few shows go with Eds voice before committing to the London show! Agree?.........therefore i dont think re-scheduled date is gonna be announced  for a week or so at best , leaving folk like me who already forked out a fortune on flights, trains , hotels ,etc ........at the mercy of short notice airline and hotel booking prices to be fleeced again
    Ps. for the record I hold absolutely no grudges whatsoever about cancelled show he obviously tried very hard right up to last minute to make it happen........just a really unfortunate situation to be left in
  • Options
    Dogboy said:
    Dogboy said:
    Ps. for the record I hold absolutely no grudges whatsoever about cancelled show he obviously tried very hard right up to last minute to make it happen........just a really unfortunate situation to be left in
    Pps. Get well soon Ed
  • Options
    SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    deftones said:
    prl said:

With love from Greece
    Very well said.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • Options
    DoryoDoryo Posts: 7
    Conjack76 said:
    Seems pretty serious ...... Selfishly hoping he'll be ok for Rome this day next week (I'm travelling from Dublin) - I really feel for all those who have traveled to London for tonight's show and cannot make the re-scheduled gig 
    Currently in London having travelled for the gig from Dublin and going to Padova and Rome next week, bricking it. But he can’t help it. Billions of happy thoughts his way. 

This discussion has been closed.