Options

Who's opening for PJ on this European Tour?

jack cameronjack cameron Sydney Posts: 340
Anyone know??
Pearl Jam: 11/02/03 • 13/02/03 • 18/02/03 • 07/11/06 • 13/11/06 • 16/11/06 • 18/11/06 • 19/11/06 • 20/11/09 • 22/11/09 • 26/01/14
Eddie Vedder: 15/03/11 • 16/03/11 • 18/03/11 • 19/03/11 • 11/02/14 • 12/02/14

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,757
    No one. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    The Invisible Band
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,021
    edited June 2018
    No one, they're into their "old bands don't use support acts" phase :)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    "An evening with"... = no opening band. :smile:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 207
    I think it's disappointing there are no support bands. Makes no difference to the time that PJ come on stage. Have seen some cool support bands over the years and collaborations. It also passes the time a lot better.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    edited June 2018
    deadendp said:
    "An evening with"... = no opening band. :smile:

Or rather standing in the arena floor for 2,5 hours waiting for someone to finally show up on stage. 

Much better than 75 minutes waiting, someone onstage for 45 minutes, then 30 more minutes of waiting (insert some sarcastic smiley here)

Post edited by mrk2 on
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Froggie said:
    I think it's disappointing there are no support bands. Makes no difference to the time that PJ come on stage. Have seen some cool support bands over the years and collaborations. It also passes the time a lot better.
    I dig opening acts too. 

My first/only chance to see My Morning Jacket, The Black Crowes, X etc.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    There has to be a reason they started doing this. I know for a long time they enjoyed giving bands some exposure, but often the venue was barely a 1/3rd full.  Now with GA, it would guarantee that at least the floor was full.  

Although with their 8pm start times (with a lot of venues having 11pm curfews, it gives them the chance to get in their 2.5-3hr shows) it would mean the opening act would be taking the stage at 7pm, with only 30min available.  Maybe it's not worth the effort.  
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I'll state the obvious...PJ doesn't have an opening band because there aren't many, if any, good young rock bands anymore. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    I'll state the obvious...PJ doesn't have an opening band because there aren't many, if any, good young rock bands anymore. 
    I am pretty certain, that is not what is "obvious" in this context.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Froggie said:
    To each their own, of course, but I feel the exact opposite on this.
    While I enjoyed seeing some of the opening bands for PJ over the years, I am there to experience a PJ show.  For me, part of that is hanging out with other fanatics prior to the show...and I can maximize that time w/o an opener.  Many times I skipped the opening band but this way I don't need to feel badly about it.
    Also...they seem to play longer w/o openers.  No research to back that up, though.
  • Options
    FroggieFroggie Cork Posts: 207
    Froggie said:
    While I enjoyed seeing some of the opening bands for PJ over the years, I am there to experience a PJ show.  For me, part of that is hanging out with other fanatics prior to the show...and I can maximize that time w/o an opener.  Many times I skipped the opening band but this way I don't need to feel badly about it.
    Also...they seem to play longer w/o openers.  No research to back that up, though.

That's cool, in Europe when you've been queuing for hours on end you'd happily watch two flies run up a wall to relieve the boredom :)

• Options
    Froggie said:
    Froggie said:

That's cool, in Europe when you've been queuing for hours on end you'd happily watch two flies run up a wall to relieve the boredom :)

understandable!
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    Opening bands kill the mood so fast for me. I love that PJ got rid of them. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    I also think in order to keep ticket prices low, they probably keep the shows solo.
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    Opening acts don’t really cost that much, sometimes it can be vice versa, the opening act pays to be on the bill
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Froggie said:
    +1 for the most part.  I do like to see opening acts for other bands. I have heard some lovely gems that way.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hihobibo said:
    I also think in order to keep ticket prices low, they probably keep the shows solo.
    Opening bands don't get paid.
  • Options
    Having opening bands is a nice rock and roll tradition. 
  • Options
    hihobibo said:
    They play a tour for free?
  • Options
    mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    hihobibo said:
    There may be cases where you are right.  But largely this is totally incorrect.  I am in a band that opens for some pretty big bands.  We get paid, we sell Merch.   I have also toured as a tour manager for a few bands and the opener always makes money.  It’s only sustainable if you are getting paid.  
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    mikerl said:
    hihobibo said:
    There may be cases where you are right.  But largely this is totally incorrect.  I am in a band that opens for some pretty big bands.  We get paid, we sell Merch.   I have also toured as a tour manager for a few bands and the opener always makes money.  It’s only sustainable if you are getting paid.  

this is correct. Openers on major tours usually get a set price for each show.  and a 100% of their merch sold.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore