Band Together to Fight Homelessness

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited June 2018 in Vitalogy
Band Together to Fight Homelessness
News June 7 2018

We set out to create The Home Shows — a program of Pearl Jam’s Vitalogy Foundation to fight homelessness in King County — because we’re proud to call Seattle and the Pacific Northwest home.

Today, King County has the third largest homeless population in the country, with more than 12,000 people experiencing homelessness. Homelessness in King County has doubled since 2014.

While we know there are many complex reasons for this crisis, our response to it must be united: no child, adult, or family should have to experience homelessness.

Many people and organizations are already working hard to improve the lives of our homeless neighbors. These staffers and volunteers are on the front lines of this crisis each day — and they know the solutions:

• Stopping homelessness before it starts;
  • Working with people or families experiencing homelessness to get them into housing or connected to other support;
  • Connecting people to affordable, permanent housing;
  • And breaking down silos that have stood in the way of region-wide collaboration.

We are doing what we can as one band to speak out and take action. 
Now, we need you.

Band together with us to fight homelessness.

Sign up for The Home Shows mailing list to get compelling stories and information about homelessness and concrete ways you can help get involved like volunteering or donating to organizations making a difference. Plus exclusive Home Shows merch, products, and sweepstakes!

Fighting homelessness is going to take all of us, and it’s going to take commitment long after those final notes are played on August 10th at Safeco Field.

- Mike, Stone, Jeff, Matt, and Ed

We’re honored to join a growing list of partners and supporters in this initiative and want to thank them for already committing nearly $9 million to alleviating homelessness.

https://pearljam.com/news/banding-together-to-fight-homelessness

Post edited by Sea on

Comments

• NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    Exhibit A for "why I fucking love this band."
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Checking out the volunteer opportunity page -- what a great way to give back to the city we once called home!

You know, the Vitalogy Foundation could auction off chances to do volunteer work with band members and make a real killing. When I told my husband about this, his immediate response was, "Cool! Which one is Ed doing?"  ;)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Nissan Pavilion Stone Ridge, Bristow Virginia, 7-1-2003; Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, Wisconsin, 3-9-2011 & 4-9-2011; Estadio Nacional, San José, Costa Rica, 11-20-2011; 02 Arena, Prague, Czech Republic, 7-2-2012; 02 World, Berlin, Germany, 7-4-2012; Ericsson Globe, Stockholm, Sweden, 7-7-2012; Oslo Spektrum, Norway, 7-9-2012; Forum, Copenhagen, Denmark, 7-10-2012; 1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore, Maryland, 10-27-2013; Global Citizen Festival, NYC, 9-26-2015; Foro Sol, México D.F., 11-28-2015; Madison Square Garden, NYC, 05-01-2016; Madison Square Garden, NYC, 05-02-2016; Safeco Field, Seattle, Washington, 8-8-2018; Safeco Field, Seattle, Washington 8-10-2018.
    http://livefootsteps.org/USER/?USR=1225

• jacquelyncajacquelynca Yay Area CA Posts: 372
    I seriously love you guys, all this is bringing tears to my eyes.  Seeing your city come together like this to take a stand against homelessness is inspiring, it's actually more than that...I don't even have words for it and I've never seen anything like it.  I grew up in San Jose CA and still call the Bay Area my home.  The homeless situation out here has been bad my whole life but it's so much worse now with the cost of living being out of control.  There are tent cities everywhere.  I've always done small things to help but it would be so great if someone with a platform would do something similar here....we need it bad.  Thank you for promoting donors choose...such a great way to make a real difference in a classroom <3  
    IG and twitter - @jacquelynincali

1994 - Bridge School Benefit, Shoreline Mountain View CA
    *** 1995 - 2015 High School, College, Broke, Having Kids***
    2016 - Temple of the Dog, Bill Graham Civic Center Auditorium, San Francisco CA
    2017 - Eddie Vedder, Bourbon and Beyond, Louisville KY
    2018 - The Home Shows, Show 2, Seattle WA
    2019 - Eddie Vedder, Ohana Fest, Dana Point CA
    2020- Oakland Nights 1 and 2
    2020 - Ohana Fest
    2021 - Ohana Fest
    2022 - Oakland 1 and 2

"Watch out for music. It should come with a health warning. It can be dangerous. It can make you feel so alive, so connected to the people around you, and connected to what you really are inside. And it can make you think that the world should, and could, be a much better place. And just occasionally, it can make you very, very happy." -Peter Gabriel