America's Gun Violence

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Do you think she was trying to be brave? She's making it clear to the voters where she stands and is asking others to do the same. For someone who claims to have no allegiance to the NRA you sure are quick to speak out for them.
    More specifically that she's not going to let this particular rights group trade organization influence her.  I have adopted a rule that I won't vote for anyone that's taken NRA money after Parkland.  I don't pretend to know the answers but I do think we're better off without the trade organization having such a large place at the table.  So all I can do is this.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited May 2018
    Her comment made me laugh. Did anyone think she was taking donations from them? Has the NRA ever even tried to donate to her?
    Its like if after the Vegas shooting if McDonald's came out and said they will stop giving out AR-15s with a Big MAc.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    Pretty sporting outfit, dontcha think? I particularly like the purple pocket hanky that matches his shirt. Talk about style.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Do you think she was trying to be brave? She's making it clear to the voters where she stands and is asking others to do the same. For someone who claims to have no allegiance to the NRA you sure are quick to speak out for them.
    Nah, just pointing out her virtue signaling.

But when the NRA starts shooting up schools instead of the registered democrats that are doing it then make sure to make a sign.
    so other than a cheap shot to your "enemies", how is political affiliation relevant in any way to mass shooters? should we also mention which rock stars/pop stars they like? maybe they're all ted nugent fans? or britney spears?

or maybe they all like the same type of fucking killing machine. the ones you advocate for. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:

But when the NRA starts shooting up schools instead of the registered democrats that are doing it then make sure to make a sign.
    so other than a cheap shot to your "enemies", how is political affiliation relevant in any way to mass shooters? should we also mention which rock stars/pop stars they like? maybe they're all ted nugent fans? or britney spears?

or maybe they all like the same type of fucking killing machine. the ones you advocate for. 
    It’s the incorrect belief that posters like this push, that most mass murderers are Democrats. It’s been proven wrong, but they like their incorrect version anyway. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    unsung said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:

It’s the incorrect belief that posters like this push, that most mass murderers are Democrats. It’s been proven wrong, but they like their incorrect version anyway. 
    What about that super liberal Timothy McVeigh?  Explain that away Mr. Demoncrat...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    It is so odd to me that I could go buy any gun I want today with zero training. I wish both parties would come together and require some sort of training course upon initial purchase.  Something like a hunter safety course. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    It is so odd to me that I could go buy any gun I want today with zero training. I wish both parties would come together and require some sort of training course upon initial purchase.  Something like a hunter safety course. 
    One side of the aisle is fine with that generally 
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Agreed.  I don’t know how anybody can say initial training is bad or somehow against the 2nd amendment. 
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    You can make a school like a prison all you want. That would maybe stop the spur of the moment shooting. It seems like most are planned ahead. What stops the shooter from waiting til the end of school day and targeting buses and cars that are picking up kids? You dont have to get into the school necessarily.
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

My2hands I thought Of this today because my buddy’s kid is going through basic training at Parris island, one of the new guys was totally kicked out of the corps for swinging a loaded m-4 towards to instructor s face. Basic Safety!!
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    That is actually incorrect.

Many of us stress training, there is a saying... You don't need a $3000 gun; you need a $750 gun and $2250 in training.

It is a common saying, and I have found that a high majority believe in it.

Our problem is getting the govt involved.  That just means more expenses.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    unsung said:

At least ban the sale so that no new bump stocks are added.  At least NJ made an effort.  Not surprising that gun nuts didn’t turn in their bump stocks.  If they get caught with bump stocks in the future then throw the book at them.

To get the US to end its gun culture would probably take a couple generations.  Gotta start taking action now.

Good for you though in finding an excuse to prevent any action to try to stop mass shootings.  The majority of the country wants to prevent mass shootings of children, but you have seen the light and it evidently includes sparks from a bullet leaving a chamber. 

unsung said:
    People ignore laws all the time... they are called criminals... and tend to be arrested when found to be ignoring those laws

People ignore the law to not murder people, all the time... so your answer would be fuck it, get rid of the law or not apply it? 

I'm sorry, but the pro-guns side makes the WORST arguments, it would be laughable if this shit wasnt so serious
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Many of us stress training, there is a saying... You don't need a $3000 gun; you need a $750 gun and $2250 in training.

Yes training is great but it is only a part of the solution.  Yes it might stop those horrible stories that we all read about a child who grabs a gun and accidentally shooting another kid or something like that.  just receiving training will not stop things like the Pulse shooting, the sandy hook shooting, the vegas shooting etc etc. 
    I would change that saying to "you don't need a $5000 gun; you need a $750 gun, $2250 in training and $2000 in a mental health assessment"  and to be honest you need govt involvement for that and to be even more honest I don't care if it adds more expenses.  I didn't read in the Constitution that  gun ownership had to be affordable.
    fife said:
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Yes training is great but it is only a part of the solution.  Yes it might stop those horrible stories that we all read about a child who grabs a gun and accidentally shooting another kid or something like that.  just receiving training will not stop things like the Pulse shooting, the sandy hook shooting, the vegas shooting etc etc. 
    I would change that saying to "you don't need a $5000 gun; you need a $750 gun, $2250 in training and $2000 in a mental health assessment"  and to be honest you need govt involvement for that and to be even more honest I don't care if it adds more expenses.  I didn't read in the Constitution that  gun ownership had to be affordable.
    Agreed that training won’t stop school shootings but a lot of accidental deaths could be avoided. 
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Freedom is a dangerous thing.  I'll take my chances.
    unsung said:
    Freedom is a dangerous thing.  I'll take my chances.

do you wear a seatbelt?
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    unsung said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:

You agree that training is important yet you don't want the government to require it....got it
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    edited May 2018
    my2hands said:
    unsung said:
    People ignore laws all the time... they are called criminals... and tend to be arrested when found to be ignoring those laws

People ignore the law to not murder people, all the time... so your answer would be fuck it, get rid of the law or not apply it? 

I'm sorry, but the pro-guns side makes the WORST arguments, it would be laughable if this shit wasnt so serious
    I don't think a lot of what was said represents the "pro-gun side." Every stat I've seen indicates the majority of gun owners are in favor of more gun control.
    And to that article Unsong posted, there's no indication that the ban is not effective. The ban just says they were supposed to destroy or turn in a bump stock. If I had one and was wanting to follow the law, I'd just throw it away and not go through the hassle of driving down to the police station, wait to talk to someone, probably fill out some paperwork just to surrender it. It'd just be in the trash.
    Yes, there are probably some who just think they can keep it, locked up in their gun safe and no one will know. And that is probably true, but that also means they'll never be using or selling it either. 
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is anyone against training?  I even think the NRA would be supportive as they would most likely profit from the influx of people taking their training courses.
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is anyone against training?  I even think the NRA would be supportive as they would most likely profit from the influx of people taking their training courses.
    I would imagine a lot of people would say having training as a mandatory requirement for ownership infringes on their right to own under 2A. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would imagine a lot of people would say having training as a mandatory requirement for ownership infringes on their right to own under 2A. 
    I think that is part of it, and I think many just don't trust the government to oversee it properly too. That it would end up just being an expensive joke of a program.
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    From my perspective if would even increase the gun owner argument by allowing them to say “see, we’re well regulated, we attended the mandatory training”.
    Anyone against training is being a bit extreme.  I would like to see all gun manufacturers include a voucher for a free (yet mandatory) training course for 1st time buyers.  Training only benefits everyone.

PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    From my perspective if would even increase the gun owner argument by allowing them to say “see, we’re well regulated, we attended the mandatory training”.
    Anyone against training is being a bit extreme.  I would like to see all gun manufacturers include a voucher for a free (yet mandatory) training course for 1st time buyers.  Training only benefits everyone.

training does not constitute well-regulated. by and large, depending on your local laws, you are free to do with your gun as you wish once you leave your training. well-regulated would mean laws governing how you handle and store your firearm, from purchase to disposal. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I think that is part of it, and I think many just don't trust the government to oversee it properly too. That it would end up just being an expensive joke of a program.
    I agree, let the training be designed similarly to the carry permit trainings.  I would even say that the carry permit training could qualify as the mandatory training if it covers safe storage (the one I took did).
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

training does not constitute well-regulated. by and large, depending on your local laws, you are free to do with your gun as you wish once you leave your training. well-regulated would mean laws governing how you handle and store your firearm, from purchase to disposal. 
    Everyone seems to have their different opinions as to what constitutes “well regulated”.
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    Just trying to get a clear idea of what common sense gun control is.  I guess obviously I need it spelled out to me, because maybe common sense gun laws aren’t as simple as they sound?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I guarantee that the same arguments used to fight gun registration would be used on training.  It's just a way for the gov't to track you down and kill you first when Darth Obama seizes power.  
This discussion has been closed.