Living Room Shows/House Concerts

deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
edited April 2018 in Other Music

The Undertow Jeremy Enigk Living Room Tour: Cleveland.  4/11/18.

Just went to my first living room show.  It was incredible. What about you?  Have you gone to a living room show/house concert?  If you have, what are your thoughts?  
2014: Cincinnati
2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
Post edited by deadendp on

Comments

• derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    edited April 2018
    deadendp said:
    Just went to my first living room show.  It was incredible. What about you?  Have you gone to a living room show?  If you have, what are your thoughts? 
    The Undertow Jeremy Enigk Living Room Tour: Cleveland.  4/11/18.

I was absolutely blown away by the living room show last night...
    LOVE the concept and the execution was flawless!!
    The intimate setting made for an excellent evening of acoustic music,
    and everyone there seemed very comfortable.
    Jeremy really opened up and I don't know if I'm more excited for the show,
    or the news he told us that Return Of The Frog Queen is going to be re-issued on vinyl by Sub-Pop!!
    Thanks for sharing your yoga mat with me too!! :wink:

Here's the setlist from the show if you'd like to see what was played...
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/jeremy-enigk/2018/private-venue-cleveland-oh-4bec8fc6.html
    We got almost all of the songs on his new album Ghosts.
    The only ones not played were Victory and Empty Row

Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I agree and that house was built for music! 

Jeremy is Jeremy.  He is how he sounds and needs no fixing.  Fabulous personality and a great way to see him for the first time.  

Still smiling. So good!  :smile:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    several years ago I went to a house concert. Suppose probably the same thing as a living room show. it was Tom Wilson of Junkhouse/Lee Harvey Osmond/Blackie and the Rodeo Kings. Easily one of the most unique and memorable shows I've ever been to. Super cool. Sitting on a couch 5 feet away listening to one of my musical idols playing and telling stories about his life. amazing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I saw The Trashcan Sinatras at a house concert several years ago....it was very intimate and personal.    The weird thing was seeing their merch table in the entry way!
    Jeremy is doing the tour on his own.  His friend could have come with him last month, but the tour was postponed to this month due to east coast weather.  It was funny watching him swing on in the door, get himself all situated and roll on into playing some fabulous music.  I agree, HFD, amazing to be within feet of all of that great music.  Sitting on a floor.  Sharing a folded up yoga mat with a friend.  Taking it all in.  :smile: 

On the way back, we were discussing the house.  It is old and pretty big.  Turns out it was built in 1900 and the room that Jeremy played in is listed as a "recital room" so the house really was built for music!  It had a performance stage built on in!  

Because you both described house concerts as being what you attended, I did change the title a bit to reflect that.  It was an amazingly interesting concert to attend and I will certainly be willing to experience a living room show/house concert again.  
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    edited April 2018

saw Alec Ounsworth from Clap Your Hands Say Yeah a couple of weeks ago. I agree with Amy and Dave! These are some of the coolest ways to see a musician. I also got to chat with him after the show. I wish Jeremy was playing down this way.

setlist was almost identical to this one:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/clap-your-hands-say-yeah/2018/sunstroke-house-columbus-ms-3bef78dc.html

Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm envious of you all who have experienced these settings!  I thought it couldn't get any better than seeing a band I love in a small venue, but that?  Whole new level of intimacy.

So many musicians on my list.

(DEP - :hug: )
    ^^^ Right back at you, Jedi.  :kiss:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'd never heard of this concept until today while checking out Steve Wynn's website.  What a cool idea!  I wish I had a bigger living room!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    I'd never heard of this concept until today while checking out Steve Wynn's website.  What a cool idea!  I wish I had a bigger living room!

If you ever have the opportunity to attend one, I say do it! 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,596
    caught Joseph Arthur play at this dudes house a few times. Fantastic. He usually plays solo, but hit it a while ago with drum and bass to kick off boogie christ. One of the best times I had in my career as a groupie.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    brianlux said:

Lou Barlow has done a few solo tours like this in recent years, Brian. I think his Dad was driving the van last time out, and Murph may have been there at some point too. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    deadendp said:
    brianlux said:

My wife suggested I should do one for my 70th birthday in 2021 behind the bookstore by seeing if we could get Steve Wynn and Jason of Dream Syndicate.  I have no idea of the cost though- probably a lot.
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

Lou Barlow has done a few solo tours like this in recent years, Brian. I think his Dad was driving the van last time out, and Murph may have been there at some point too. 

That would be very cool! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    Saw the Mummies at my friend's auto shop for another friend's bday. Crazy good time. They rarely play, so this intimate, private show was special.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I had Bob Forrest of Thelonious Monster play at my 40th birthday party......great experience!
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:
    brianlux said:

My wife suggested I should do one for my 70th birthday in 2021 behind the bookstore by seeing if we could get Steve Wynn and Jason of Dream Syndicate.  I have no idea of the cost though- probably a lot.
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

That would be very cool! 
    Can't hurt to ask.  

If you are interested in hosting other musicians, contact Undertow to see if they have shows due to swing your way.  https://undertowshows.com
    deadendp said:
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:
    brianlux said:

goldrush said:
    brianlux said:

That would be very cool! 
    Can't hurt to ask.  

If you are interested in hosting other musicians, contact Undertow to see if they have shows due to swing your way.  https://undertowshows.com

Thanks for the suggestion.  I would want to have someone play that I'm familiar with.  I like some hard core but that's not the kind of music that would work for 99.9% of my family and friends.   Steve Wynn would be my first choice and J Mascis (doubt he does it) or Lou Barlow or Juliana Hatfield would be second choice.  Unless, of course, Paul Westerberg were into that sort of thing which I very highly doubt.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Love these types of shows. Hopefully, will get to see Alex Ounsworth again soon.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2