Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,854

RP112579 said:
    This thread turned into an annual single bitching thread? Christ
    it only turns into that when people are calmly discussing something they find odd and people on the other end make ridiculous assertions that we think the world is coming to an end and we are forced to defend ourselves and tell them that, in fact, our hair is not on fire. it's passive agressive bullshit that builds an argument out of fucking nowhere. 

same old shit. 
    I am sorry if my posts came off as passive-aggressive and/or if I misinterpreted posts and thought people were angrier than they are/were.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    jstu39 said:
    justam said:
    I think the events going on in our country these days make most of us angry. We need a song like this one.  I like it.
    Part of the challenge for me is they only write or comment about the events in our country if one party is in office. Is this a political rally or comment on society? If societal I'd like a more consistent message as weve had gun violence, wars, corruption...consistently over the last 15 years. 
    this is pure conjecture: if they feel that any specific issue you mentioned is actually being addressed by the leaders of your country, it's not as frustrating and creatively instigating. when they see those issues being ignored, or reversed, then the frustration builds and it comes out in the songs you hear. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jstu39 said:
    justam said:
    I think the events going on in our country these days make most of us angry. We need a song like this one.  I like it.
    Part of the challenge for me is they only write or comment about the events in our country if one party is in office. Is this a political rally or comment on society? If societal I'd like a more consistent message as weve had gun violence, wars, corruption...consistently over the last 15 years. 
    this is pure conjecture: if they feel that any specific issue you mentioned is actually being addressed by the leaders of your country, it's not as frustrating and creatively instigating. when they see those issues being ignored, or reversed, then the frustration builds and it comes out in the songs you hear. 
    Also, while they might not have written much that was quite as directly political, Ed was still quite outspoken at shows, right? So, there were still issues that they were passionate about; it's not like they were politically silent until Trump.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

• Options
    jstu39jstu39 Posts: 140
    MP59559 said:
    jstu39 said:
    justam said:
    Also, while they might not have written much that was quite as directly political, Ed was still quite outspoken at shows, right? So, there were still issues that they were passionate about; it's not like they were politically silent until Trump.
    Their catalog speaks for itself. And I personally don't think their best stuff comes from this motivation. It seems reactionary and petty. This song fits as much with the occupy movement but that was largely ignored. They are entitled to do what they want. Theyve earned that right. 
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    edited March 2018
    My cousin loved it, he is 34, huge fan but not a 10C member, and he doesn't understand a word in English...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    jstu39 said:
    MP59559 said:
    jstu39 said:
    justam said:
    Their catalog speaks for itself. And I personally don't think their best stuff comes from this motivation. It seems reactionary and petty. This song fits as much with the occupy movement but that was largely ignored. They are entitled to do what they want. Theyve earned that right. 
    By "this motivation", do you mean political issues in general or getting as specific as CDM does?

• Options
    AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 826
    Spags said:
    Eddie is rich so he isn’t allowed to sing about other people being rich, mention money or anything like that.

This makes no sense. You aren't allowed to sing about something that you are? That's most songs! Besides, the point here is Eddie may be rich, but is nowhere near as rich as Trump and yet Eddie does a lot more with his money for other people than Trump.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Spags said:
    I think people viewing this as Ed protesting or the song being about Trump are limiting not just the bands world view but also Ed’s ability to write songs from the point of view of others.
    I have little doubt this song was written about Trump, but the beauty of music is that it can mean something else to you. Maybe just politicians in general (regardless of "side"), or even something more personal - a controlling ex, a parent/teacher/other authority figure. I think the key is that this is definitely a protest/resistance song. What you're protesting/resisting is up to you.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,913
    Who cares if it was written about Trump? The bigger question is, "Can I customize the lyrics and sing it to my dog? HELL YEAH I can!

The B-E
    The N-J
    The A-M-I-N

You Are Daddy's...

Bestest Good Friend

Wait, that's weird? Um...OK. I'll show myself out.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    edited March 2018
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $40 for the fanclub is nothing. Break it down. 
    $10 bootleg code. 
    $10 vinyl single. ( then add shipping). 
    Tshirt or other gift. $10-15. ( then add shipping.)
    chance to purchase exclusive Pearl Jam merchandise. 
    Chance for tickets. 
    If you break it all down it's not that much. 

I'm going to complain that the bootleg codes expire....boo
    They actually don't by the way.
    I've never used any since they started the bootleg code thing because I always bought the CDs. I stopped by the CD boots a few years ago when I decided I had enough when I realized I still had a lot in the original shrinkwrap. I mean,d o I really need 200 live shows? Yes, I do, but it just takes a long time to listen to them all.
    Was able to use all codes, about 10 of them. Got some good 2016 boots and several of the vaults (I only had the vinyl for most of the vaults).
    It seems they only expire if you let your membership expire.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $10 bootleg code. 
    Chance for tickets. 

I've never used any since they started the bootleg code thing because I always bought the CDs. I stopped by the CD boots a few years ago when I decided I had enough when I realized I still had a lot in the original shrinkwrap. I mean,d o I really need 200 live shows? Yes, I do, but it just takes a long time to listen to them all.
    Was able to use all codes, about 10 of them. Got some good 2016 boots and all of the vaults (I only had the vinyl for most of the vaults).
    when I renew it tells me the bootleg code expires, I renewed in December and I think it said it was good until the end of February. not complaining about that, don't really care. but that's what the email said. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    mace1229 said:
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $10 bootleg code. 
    Chance for tickets. 

Was able to use all codes, about 10 of them. Got some good 2016 boots and all of the vaults (I only had the vinyl for most of the vaults).
    when I renew it tells me the bootleg code expires, I renewed in December and I think it said it was good until the end of February. not complaining about that, don't really care. but that's what the email said. 
    Ha, maybe I just got lucky. But just about a month ago I used every bootleg code I had every been issued. I tend to not read emails about my membership, so not sure what my said. I got both Wrigley 16, Telluride, Leeds, and vaults 4-7 (and maybe 1 or 2 more I'm forgetting). Just went on a frenzy and did it all back to back one night last month. Been a member before they did this bootleg thing and never once used a code, but they all worked. 
  • Options
    interesting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MozzyMozzy Posts: 154
    jstu39 said:
    justam said:
    While there's little doubt that they write songs in response to their political leanings, I don't agree they "only write or comment about the events in our country if one party is in office."
    Just a quick glance at the catalog, here's some politically related songs:
    While Clinton was president: WMA, Glorified G, Grievance, Do the Evolution 

While Obama was president: Mind Your Manners, Infallible 

• Options
    edited March 2018
    JimmyV said:
    Who cares if it was written about Trump? The bigger question is, "Can I customize the lyrics and sing it to my dog? HELL YEAH I can!

The B-E
    The N-J
    The A-M-I-N

You Are Daddy's...

Bestest Good Friend

Wait, that's weird? Um...OK. I'll show myself out.
    I may be weird, too, but I think this is great!

:rock_on:
    Post edited by mpedone on

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $10 bootleg code. 
    Chance for tickets. 

The analog item code expires each year. The bootleg codes are good until you use them. I get confused by this all the time.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874
    So I was really really hoping I would be wrong and the song would be kick ass live...just listened to it and man am I bummed.  I just can't get into this one.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    MP59559 said:
    mace1229 said:
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $10 bootleg code. 
    Chance for tickets. 

The analog item code expires each year. The bootleg codes are good until you use them. I get confused by this all the time.
    ah, I see. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,536
    mcgruff10 said:
    So I was really really hoping I would be wrong and the song would be kick ass live...just listened to it and man am I bummed.  I just can't get into this one.  
    Me neither. 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,145
    It isn't bout being just Rich, plenty of solid rich people who give and realize they can impact the planet in a positive way.
    Its about being Rich and not paying contractors, Saying deport everyone yet you hire illegals to run your resort, mastering bankruptcy laws, getting dirty loans from Deutsche Bank/Russian Oligarchs, privatizing education to profit on it, polluting, using your $$ to scare people into doing what you want because you can fight and they cant, Killing big game animals and holding up an elephant tale as if you accomplished something by killing a fenced in animal, Grabbing women because of entitlement....

There are Rich people who don't feel like they are the victims

I mean how fucked up in the head can you be if you are worth billions and you think society is giving you the shaft
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533

Also notice I was complimenting the song, I just dont like one line. Gotta shut harmful opinions like this down around here I guess
    all he did was ask a follow up question to a statement you made. 

Ed being rich "by accident" doesn't negate him from criticizing someone else who is rich by design/greed. 
    Right. Eddie's version of rich and Trump's version of rich and his administration's version of rich are completely unrelated IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    CROJAM95 said:
    It isn't bout being just Rich, plenty of solid rich people who give and realize they can impact the planet in a positive way.
    Its about being Rich and not paying contractors, Saying deport everyone yet you hire illegals to run your resort, mastering bankruptcy laws, getting dirty loans from Deutsche Bank/Russian Oligarchs, privatizing education to profit on it, polluting, using your $$ to scare people into doing what you want because you can fight and they cant, Killing big game animals and holding up an elephant tale as if you accomplished something by killing a fenced in animal, Grabbing women because of entitlement....

There are Rich people who don't feel like they are the victims

I mean how fucked up in the head can you be if you are worth billions and you think society is giving you the shaft

• Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    mace1229 said:
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $10 bootleg code. 
    Chance for tickets. 

Was able to use all codes, about 10 of them. Got some good 2016 boots and several of the vaults (I only had the vinyl for most of the vaults).
    You have two years before the membership download code for the boots expires, and omg, You are the first person yo acknowledges having enough boots
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    mace1229 said:
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $10 bootleg code. 
    Chance for tickets. 

You have two years before the membership download code for the boots expires, and omg, You are the first person yo acknowledges having enough boots
    I got so much anxiety over what boot to pick, that I instead let the codes lapse... 

find the logic in that..

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    mace1229 said:
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $10 bootleg code. 
    Chance for tickets. 

Totally off topic but it does seem a rubbish rule when you have essentially paid for it. It does seem that members getting value for money out of the subscription fee is low priority for 10c.
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    mace1229 said:
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $10 bootleg code. 
    Chance for tickets. 

Totally off topic but it does seem a rubbish rule when you have essentially paid for it. It does seem that members getting value for money out of the subscription fee is low priority for 10c.
    From https://help.pearljam.com/hc/en-us/articles/205285910-Membership-Levels

Bootleg Coupon:
    The bootleg coupon is valid for one year or for as long as your membership remains current.

• Options
    FR181798 said:
    mace1229 said:
    FR181798 said:
    KW6232 said:
    $10 bootleg code. 
    Chance for tickets. 

two years is more than enough time to pick a digital boot, don't you think?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,461
    Vedd Hedd said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I had friends who stopped being pearl jam fans when "Who You Are" was released. 
    Ha, yeah, well, there's no accounting for taste obviously. But still.... objectively, what they're doing now isn't on the same level as what they were doing in the 90s or early 2000s. I mean, come on. 
    Late 90s, no. I agree there.

But I like Lightning Bolt better than Backspacer, Avocado and Riot Act.

lb is better than avocado and riot act????
    Yes. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,825
    edited March 2018