Edit: Mayor Rob Ford admits to smoking crack

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Sometimes Ontario comes off as really weirdly American to me.... I once said this to a friend from Thunder Bay, and he was really kind of insulted I think, lol, but I can't help that that is what it seems like from my view out on the west coast.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sometimes Ontario comes off as really weirdly American to me.... I once said this to a friend from Thunder Bay, and he was really kind of insulted I think, lol, but I can't help that that is what it seems like from my view out on the west coast.
    I was going to say this same thing actually. another thing the simpsons got right....calling Toronto America Jr. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Doug Fords a fucking loser...
    A big huge one, lol.... Now let's see if Ontario can save itself from him. Just that we're not 100% positive that it won't is disturbing.
    He is going to win ... unless he says something incredibly stupid.  But so far he’s stuck to the script.  This liberal government is long past its expiration date.
    Where does the NDP stand there? Sounds like people in Ontario have forgotten they're an option... And considering the other options, they must be a pretty legit alternative, no? 
    I have not forgot about the NDP...my riding is NDP...

The problem PJ, Wynn has to go and the liberals have to go.  The NDP is not an option with Ontario voters at this point.  And if Ford follows through on his promise to give the  grass roots a voice, as well as listening to his MPS then I don't fear Ford as premier.  I am Elliot supporter have been for long time, she lost in a very close screwed up process. My initial reaction of losing left me a kittle shocked and piss.  She plans on running as candidate and suspect get a good cabinet (if they win)...so people like her give me hope...

Ford is starting to follow through on cleaning  up Browns mess ... for one he's considering not signing Browns papers that would allow him to run as a candidate.  He is also looking into the ridings in which Brown parachuted candidates in.  My riding is one in Brown parachuted a clown in from Mississauga.  I'm at the southern end of the province.  

Give Peas A Chance…

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    A big huge one, lol.... Now let's see if Ontario can save itself from him. Just that we're not 100% positive that it won't is disturbing.
    He is going to win ... unless he says something incredibly stupid.  But so far he’s stuck to the script.  This liberal government is long past its expiration date.
    Where does the NDP stand there? Sounds like people in Ontario have forgotten they're an option... And considering the other options, they must be a pretty legit alternative, no? 

Andrea Horwath (Ontario NDP leader) has demonstrated that she can barely lead a PTA meeting let alone the province. She ran a conservative platform to try and beat the Liberals and lost a lot of support. Unfortunately Doug Ford will win. There is no longer a left leaning media in Ontario (apart from the Toronto Star, and who reads newspapers anymore?), leaving all the right leaning media to hate on Wynn. The campaign of hate against Wynn has been a 100% success.

The media and the right wing didn't fail, Wynn failed this province.  She's a fucking disaster to try and deny that is just sad and why we keep ending with the shit storm called the Ontario liberals. People are pissed in Ontario, we have the highest insurance premiums, highest hydro rates and cost of living in Ontario is through the roof, now onto the 310 billion dollar debt that the liberals keep piling onto.  12 billion to service the debt yearly...that could pay for a lot of needed shit.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    We are in many ways...i can't argue that.
    Give Peas A Chance…

PJ_Soul said:
    I was going to say this same thing actually. another thing the simpsons got right....calling Toronto America Jr. 
    Except some people in the rural areas would like to separate from Toronto...lol.
    Give Peas A Chance…

PJ_Soul said:
    Except some people in the rural areas would like to separate from Toronto...lol.
    well who would want to live so close to the centre of the universe? LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Andrea Horwath (Ontario NDP leader) has demonstrated that she can barely lead a PTA meeting let alone the province. She ran a conservative platform to try and beat the Liberals and lost a lot of support. Unfortunately Doug Ford will win. There is no longer a left leaning media in Ontario (apart from the Toronto Star, and who reads newspapers anymore?), leaving all the right leaning media to hate on Wynn. The campaign of hate against Wynn has been a 100% success.

The media and the right wing didn't fail, Wynn failed this province.  She's a fucking disaster to try and deny that is just sad and why we keep ending with the shit storm called the Ontario liberals. People are pissed in Ontario, we have the highest insurance premiums, highest hydro rates and cost of living in Ontario is through the roof, now onto the 310 billion dollar debt that the liberals keep piling onto.  12 billion to service the debt yearly...that could pay for a lot of needed shit.

Listen, you seriously need to read other peoples posts before you go off and meltdown. I don't see where I said anything about the right wing or the media failing. I also can't find where I said Wynn didn't deserve the hate. I agree she is a disaster, where exactly is my denial? I simply stated the NDP is not an option and implied that the die is cast... a Ford win is a inevitable, and that is just sad for everybody.

PJ_Soul said:

I live at centre of the centre of the universe... and I fucking love it!

PJ_Soul said:

I'd like it for variety of shows I'd get to see (if I could afford to go to that many shows), but other than that........not for me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    Lol
    Give Peas A Chance…

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Listen, you seriously need to read other peoples posts before you go off and meltdown. I don't see where I said anything about the right wing or the media failing. I also can't find where I said Wynn didn't deserve the hate. I agree she is a disaster, where exactly is my denial? I simply stated the NDP is not an option and implied that the die is cast... a Ford win is a inevitable, and that is just sad for everybody.

You blamed the media who you consider none left wing other the star.  You said all the right wing media.  Don’t blame the media for Wynns fails.  She lied and failed all on her own.  It’s time for a change in this province.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

PJ_Soul said:

I'd like it for variety of shows I'd get to see (if I could afford to go to that many shows), but other than that........not for me. 
    It a real pain in the ass to move around downtown  Toronto after a concert.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Wow. I blamed the media? No I actually pointed out that the right leaning media has it in for Wynn which would be true even if Wynn were a great premier. The point being that the media helps set the tone and mood for the people of Ontario. Especially those who can barely think for themselves. To say I blamed the media for Wynns failings is completely false. You seem to be reading my post and filling in the non existent blanks with your own hang ups. You are trying to start an argument where there is none.

PJ_Soul said:

I just can't imagine living anywhere that isn't on the ocean and next to mountains, since that is what I've always had .... which is unfortunate, because it rules out a lot of places, lol. I basically can't think of any other place I can live. :tongue:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I just can't imagine living anywhere that isn't on the ocean and next to mountains, since that is what I've always had .... which is unfortunate, because it rules out a lot of places, lol. I basically can't think of any other place I can live. :tongue:
    I keep trying to convince my wife to move out there. But she absolutely despises cloudy/rainy weather more than our frigid weathers and mosquito summers. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I keep trying to convince my wife to move out there. But she absolutely despises cloudy/rainy weather more than our frigid weathers and mosquito summers. 
    That is a shame. I find it hard to understand how someone could feel that way, given those two options. She knows that there is plenty of really nice weather here too, right? Not to mention ALL the other benefits, especially being in close proximity to more shit?
    I admit I've never been to Winnipeg... but I have known a LOT of people from there, and I trust what they've told me.... sounds pretty bad, lol. I dunno, maybe someday Pearl Jam will play a show there and I'll find an insanely cheap flight there and check it out for myself so that I can think of Winnipeg as a place you don't want to go based on first hand knowledge, lol.
    Anyway, I'm pathetically poorly travelled when it comes to Canada. I've actually never been east of Alberta. It's kind of embarrassing. It's just that it's so damn expensive to travel across this massive fucking country.
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That is a shame. I find it hard to understand how someone could feel that way, given those two options. She knows that there is plenty of really nice weather here too, right? Not to mention ALL the other benefits, especially being in close proximity to more shit?
    I admit I've never been to Winnipeg... but I have known a LOT of people from there, and I trust what they've told me.... sounds pretty bad, lol. I dunno, maybe someday Pearl Jam will play a show there and I'll find an insanely cheap flight there and check it out for myself so that I can think of Winnipeg as a place you don't want to go based on first hand knowledge, lol.
    Anyway, I'm pathetically poorly travelled when it comes to Canada. I've actually never been east of Alberta. It's kind of embarrassing. It's just that it's so damn expensive to travel across this massive fucking country.
    it's odd how expensive it is to fly to Winnipeg from Vancouver. Friends of ours visit every summer (she is from here), and it costs their family a fortune and they can never find a deal. it is cheaper to fly pretty much anywhere else in North America. 

it's really not bad. the culture is great, but the weather is awful. winter is frigid, and summer is hot and humid as fuck. 

she loves it when we visit. she is such a nature and mountain lover. our time in a condo in Kits is one of our favourite vacation memories. but her perception on the whole is RAIN. 

I hate big cities, but vancouver seems different than other big metros to me. there is a natural element to it, being on the coast. 

that's it. I'm moving. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

You are spoiled...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Is Vancouver pedestrian and cyclist friendly as I hear?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I lived in Vancouver for 9 months. I made it till about the first week of December before I couldn't take the dark and the rain anymore. The summer was great but I swear I did not see or feel the sun once, from late September to the first week of December. It really does affect you, especially if you're not used to it. I had to leave. I packed in my job, left half my shit there, and moved to Montreal. Where I swear the winter can sometimes rival Winterpeg, but at least the sun came out on a regular basis. I love B.C. and all of its treasures. The sea, the mountains, the weed, the shrooms... lol. I spent a summer tree planting in B.C., and it was amazing waking up, climbing out of my tent every morning to be greeted by a big ass mountain with a beautiful snowcap. I just can't handle the winter in Vancouver.

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I lived in Vancouver for 9 months. I made it till about the first week of December before I couldn't take the dark and the rain anymore. The summer was great but I swear I did not see or feel the sun once, from late September to the first week of December. It really does affect you, especially if you're not used to it. I had to leave. I packed in my job, left half my shit there, and moved to Montreal. Where I swear the winter can sometimes rival Winterpeg, but at least the sun came out on a regular basis. I love B.C. and all of its treasures. The sea, the mountains, the weed, the shrooms... lol. I spent a summer tree planting in B.C., and it was amazing waking up, climbing out of my tent every morning to be greeted by a big ass mountain with a beautiful snowcap. I just can't handle the winter in Vancouver.

yeah, that's what keeps my wife away from it. she can't handle the gloom. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That was probably a bad winter, along with seeing what you expect. I lived in Vancouver for ten years and honestly, it isn’t that bad. There are sunny days. It doesn’t rain every day. 

However, Victoria has substantially less rain and more sun than Vancouver, with the same beautiful scenery. Not quite the same scene, but it’s still a great city to live in. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Haha! Um, yeah, I would say so. People call our Mayor "Mayor Moonbean", mainly because the guy is literally OBSESSED with bike lanes (and people think that is a really hippy mindset, apparently). New bike lines are probably one of the most controversial issues in the city, and that is because a lot of people are really pissed off by how many of them keep getting made, at the expense of cars and parking. There was even an incident in the winter of 2016 when we had an unusually big snowfall (for us), and the city decided to fucking clear the bike paths instead of the pedestrian paths, lol. Oh, the outrage! :lol: We recently also got one of those bike share programs going, where you just stick your credit card in and take a bike from the rack, and then return it to another rack whenever you're done.
    The only problem with all this is that Metro Vancouver is pretty damn hilly, and it rains a fair bit, so while City Hall is all about bike lanes, not that many people actually commute by bike. It's pretty ridiculous. But to be fair, I think they're just really planning for the future with it. With climate change, it's going to be warmer and drier in Vancouver as the years pass, plus the culture will change as the city becomes more and more green. While everyone is pissed off now, I think that in 20+ years or whatever people will be really happy that Vancouver planned ahead for alternative transportation like this.
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

That was probably a bad winter, along with seeing what you expect. I lived in Vancouver for ten years and honestly, it isn’t that bad. There are sunny days. It doesn’t rain every day. 

However, Victoria has substantially less rain and more sun than Vancouver, with the same beautiful scenery. Not quite the same scene, but it’s still a great city to live in. 

Agreed, but I must say, and no offense to your nice city, while Victoria is very pretty and all, there isn't very much to do there. When I visit for a 3-day weekend I find that I'm basically out of things to do by Saturday afternoon (and that's after doing stuff I've already done on previous trips usually .... you're just left kind of wandering around the same handful of blocks trying to find something to do, and going for a yet another walk in that big park. That said, living in a place and just visiting briefly are two very different things, obviously!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Agreed, but I must say, and no offense to your nice city, while Victoria is very pretty and all, there isn't very much to do there. When I visit for a 3-day weekend I find that I'm basically out of things to do by Saturday afternoon (and that's after doing stuff I've already done on previous trips usually .... you're just left kind of wandering around the same handful of blocks trying to find something to do, and going for a yet another walk in that big park. That said, living in a place and just visiting briefly are two very different things, obviously!
    Well, sure it’s smaller. I never run out of things to do, though. Plenty of outdoorsy stuff if that’s what you enjoy, and I do. I know you like the night life and that’s smaller here, though we have some great cocktail places. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    Haha! Um, yeah, I would say so. People call our Mayor "Mayor Moonbean", mainly because the guy is literally OBSESSED with bike lanes (and people think that is a really hippy mindset, apparently). New bike lines are probably one of the most controversial issues in the city, and that is because a lot of people are really pissed off by how many of them keep getting made, at the expense of cars and parking. There was even an incident in the winter of 2016 when we had an unusually big snowfall (for us), and the city decided to fucking clear the bike paths instead of the pedestrian paths, lol. Oh, the outrage! :lol: We recently also got one of those bike share programs going, where you just stick your credit card in and take a bike from the rack, and then return it to another rack whenever you're done.
    The only problem with all this is that Metro Vancouver is pretty damn hilly, and it rains a fair bit, so while City Hall is all about bike lanes, not that many people actually commute by bike. It's pretty ridiculous. But to be fair, I think they're just really planning for the future with it. With climate change, it's going to be warmer and drier in Vancouver as the years pass, plus the culture will change as the city becomes more and more green. While everyone is pissed off now, I think that in 20+ years or whatever people will be really happy that Vancouver planned ahead for alternative transportation like this.
    I happen to think pedestrian and cyclist should come first ... after all they were here before the automobile.  And I like driving.  I’ve also been hit as pedestrian...so I’m very big on pedestrian rights and believe they should be strengthened...the person who hit me and was in the wrong was only ticketed for unsafe turn, instead of the far more serious careless driving laws...ironically the next day some fool went off in the ditch, no injuries, no one else involved, just him...charged careless driving...it doesn’t make sense how little respect pedestrians and cyclist get sometimes.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

I have found Islanders to be very territorial and protective. Not to the point of obnoxiousness, but definitely to the point where it is noticeable.

It's expensive to visit. And kind of a pain as well.

Victoria is nice. The smaller, more remote areas of the island are beautiful. But I'll take the interior any day of the week for my lifestyle.

* Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada by far based on my travels and observations. I lived there for four years and would never move back given the congestion... but on a sunny day... it might be the finest city in the world.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    PJ_Soul said:
    You are not wrong.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I happen to think pedestrian and cyclist should come first ... after all they were here before the automobile.  And I like driving.  I’ve also been hit as pedestrian...so I’m very big on pedestrian rights and believe they should be strengthened...the person who hit me and was in the wrong was only ticketed for unsafe turn, instead of the far more serious careless driving laws...ironically the next day some fool went off in the ditch, no injuries, no one else involved, just him...charged careless driving...it doesn’t make sense how little respect pedestrians and cyclist get sometimes.
    I live car free and always have. I have little sympathy for the drivers right in the city (I do have empathy for those who have to commute from futher out in metro vancouver though - once you get out of skytrain range the transit options are fairly poor). I think that the majority of city drivers should be forced out of their cars by whatever means are available. The best method is probably to limit parking so much that they have no option but to walk, cycle, and transit for regular commuter trips. Leave the parking for those who really HAVE to drive for whatever reason. But damn, a huge number of Vancouverites are extremely addicted to their cars. Even when the trip is super easy and convenient and even faster on the skytrain, just the idea of getting on public transit is apparently almost too much for many of them to take, lol. It's completely psychological in many cases. Bunch of fucking princesses, lol. So yeah, given that attitude among many, their feelings about pedestrians and cyclists (remember those are two very different things) are not positive or respectful. That said, a lot of the cyclists in Vancouver are fucking entitled pricks who have absolutely no respect for the rules of the road.