Options

CAN'T DENY ME!!!

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    JimmyV said:
    I think a lot of people don't know the difference between an annual/holiday single and the first single from a new record.
    But can ya blame them? Is this a really a holiday single? It says it is on our downloads. But there's no B-Side. And it's not the holiday. Will there be a vinyl? Maybe they're just trying to catch up because they're behind on holiday singles. Hard to say but yeah, I don't consider this to be like something taken from an upcoming album. It's more like Olé; just something whipped up and given to the fanclub members because there's really not much else to do with it. 
    I can absolutely blame them. As you say, "It says it is on our downloads." Just like it always does. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    edited March 2018
    Just because its a holiday single doesn't mean they cant at least try. Ed sounds horrrible in this. 
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Not bad for a random single. About a million times better than Ole.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I like it the more I play it the better it sounds to me and the idea that they are tweaking twumpy is a bonus.  
    Of course Facebook and Twitter hate it - that is what those things are for.  Hating.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I'm curious, for people who are overly disappointed by this song, what was the last annual single that you truly loved? What was the song and what was the year?

• Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    jordn6971 said:
    Just because its a holiday single doesn't mean they cant at least try. Ed sounds horrrible in this. 
    This isn't trying?  Not trying results in stuff like the fluff tracks that rounded out Backspacer and Lightning Bolt.  This sounds new, fresh, different.  The vocals are abrasive on it I'll give you that but horrrible?

Bring on the weird.  I, for one, am ready.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    I think a lot of people don't know the difference between an annual/holiday single and the first single from a new record.
    But can ya blame them? Is this a really a holiday single? It says it is on our downloads. But there's no B-Side. And it's not the holiday. Will there be a vinyl? Maybe they're just trying to catch up because they're behind on holiday singles. Hard to say but yeah, I don't consider this to be like something taken from an upcoming album. It's more like Olé; just something whipped up and given to the fanclub members because there's really not much else to do with it. 
    I can absolutely blame them. As you say, "It says it is on our downloads." Just like it always does. 
    True but it did seem a little different didn't it? Seeing it advertised like this seemed strange....

"Hear the new Pearl Jam song first!" just seems "off" as a way of informing fanclub members of the new holiday single. Also, the MP3 of the single (which is at 160kbps for some reason) doesn't have anything in file information other than the artist and song title. Usually it will say something like "2017 Annual Single" or something in the album info.

Lastly, I think when it's been five years between original material, it's typical for fans to expect this to be a true statement from the band rather than a throwaway holiday song. Take "Happy When I'm Cryin'" for example. If No Code came out, and then PJ didn't put out another song for five years and when they did, it was Happy When I'm Cryin', fans might be like "THIS is the new Pearl Jam??" But sandwiched between No Code in 1996 and Yield in 1998,  it's a wonderfully strange throwaway song. I just can't tell if Can't Deny Me is a throwaway song, or something the band wants taken seriously. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    I'm old enough to remember when people screamed and yelled about wanting an original song as the annual single when the RRHOF version of Alive was released as the 2016 single.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    LostDog_72LostDog_72 London Posts: 74

Good, solid track that is definitely growing on me -the first few bars have overtones of Soundgarden.  I just wish it was about a minute longer.  I think EV's vocals sound really strained in places, and where is Mike?

• Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    RP112579 said:
    I'm old enough to remember when people screamed and yelled about wanting an original song as the annual single when the RRHOF version of Alive was released as the 2016 single.
    :lol:
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Finally got to hear it! Will have to listen a few times before I make a decision about whether I like it or not, but I already like the chorus.
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    Are we sure this music isn’t that demo that Matt posted on social media a couple of weeks ago? I can’t seem to find it right now. 
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    RiotZact said:
    Are we sure this music isn’t that demo that Matt posted on social media a couple of weeks ago? I can’t seem to find it right now. 
    It's not. I thought about that and went to Matt's Instagram to check.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    RP112579 said:
    RiotZact said:
    It's not. I thought about that and went to Matt's Instagram to check.
    Cool thanks!
  • Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 823
    I tend to hate new Pearl Jam songs the first little bit. I fucking LOVE this song.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    edited March 2018
    Wasn’t feeling it at first but like someone said earlier PJ doesn’t produce bubblegum, they are hearty vegetables and it will grow on you. A few more listens and I’m into it.

I got no Cornel vibe not sure where that’s coming from. Listened to the first line and only heard Eddie.

Very happy that my favorite band is still going at it and making great tunes!! :rock_on:

Also, in general, it’s  better to stay off Facebook.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    RobZRobZ Park City, Utah Posts: 181
    Meh......
    2006: Las Vegas, Nevada
    2009: Salt Lake City, Utah
    2012: Missoula, Montana
    2014: Denver, Colorado
    2018: Missoula, Montana

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    I’ve listened a few times today. I really like it. At first I thought I was just being a fan boy cause I liked it right away...but no, it’s just the kind of Pearl Jam I like a lot
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    The louder I play it the more I like it. Had this pumping through my head skiing. Can't wait to surf to it. It is a - charge it - song. Send it!
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    Awesome! Hope they play it this Tuesday in Santiago!
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    edited March 2018
    Err......that is just not a very good song. I know they can do a million times better. I´ll forgive them if it´s just a Christmas single (:  (:  (:

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,931
    I thought this was rather sweet, I like that they are dads and are clearly influenced by what their kids are experiencing right now in America. I really only see this stuff on twitter (since I live in a small fishing village in the UK), but good to hear Pearl Jam joining in the conversation. Let the song protest, etc.

Thanks guys for the new music!
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    AAJCAAJC Calgary, AB, Canada Posts: 262
    I'm really digging this new song. Hope it's a sign of what a new album will be like. Love the energy in it!
  • Options
    CO278952 said:
    JD Sal said:
    New Pearl Jam is good and the lyrics are decent, but anyone else hearing the Kokomo vibe? lol

"The higher, the farther, the faster you fly"

"Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go"
    Hahahaha man i couldnt think of where i had heard that melody before

Reminds me also of Boats and Hoes.  The Nina, the Pinta, the Santa Maria..
    Ill do you in the bottom while I’m drinking sangria!!
  • Options
    silvasilva Posts: 44
    It's a bit of a grower i think. In terms of Ed's vocals, sure they sound a bit strained, but that is no mistake, they (he) wouldn't have let that through if he wasn't happy with it. I think it conveys an emotion of spontaneous and irrepressible frustration with a particular issue and this quite rough vocal take conveys that feeling. Like, its coming out of me, this feeling, i can't control it. It's a form of expression.
    It's not a delivery that would work for everything, but in this case i can see why it was done this way.
    Wembley London - 10/29/96
    Reading Festival - 08/27/06
    Wembley London - 06/18/07
    Milton Keynes - 07/11/14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    tbergs said:
    No surprises on the members who do and don't like it if you've been around here lately.
    I would guess the split is largely between those who like their last two albums and thise who don't.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RiotZact said:
    I don't think so...

https://edgelittlerock.iheart.com/content/2018-02-27-pearl-jam-drummer-teases-possible-new-pj-riff/?cmp=managed_social

• Options
    jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    JimmyV said:
    I'm curious, for people who are overly disappointed by this song, what was the last annual single that you truly loved? What was the song and what was the year?
    Probably Better Things in 2011.   But how many of those years has the holiday single been a newly written song?
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • Options
    jordn6971 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Probably Better Things in 2011.   But how many of those years has the holiday single been a newly written song?
    For me it's probably Santa Cruz in 2008. So I'm not easily disappointed by the holiday single. It is what it is.

• Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,677
    It’s an angry song focused on the frustrations with the clown in office. It’s not a sing along or a top 10 hit. It’s a rock song with raw emotion and feeling.