Things to do in Boston?

Comments

• I only looked briefly into things to see and do in and around Boston. I saw Salem is not too far away. Has anyone ever been there and would you recommend it? 
    I lived in Boston for 5 yrs. Salem is cool but it’s a one trick horse and if you only have limited time I would  stay in the city and try some of the things people here have recommended 
  • rbhesterrbhester Posts: 212

I did Freedom Trail in '16. I think I was on it about 5 hours but I stopped and ate and had a few beers at the Bell In Hand Tavern, the oldest still-operating tavern in the US. The old graveyard on the trail is very cool in it's own. A lot of the people who built this nation are buried there. Revere's house is cool too.

• I booked a room at the double tree in downtown boston for 213 a night.  Super close to downtown activities and very easy to take the subway to Fenway from there. Pretty positive reviews on the hotel too.  Good luck!
  • JosephKJosephK Posts: 217
    If you are into beer, Trillium is a must visit.  have only been to the Canton location but the beer is world-class. There is another location in Boston proper. I'd also recommend venturing out into Cambridge. Walk around Harvard Square. Davis Square over in Somerville is fun too. The aquarium is pretty fun, though the zoo kind of stinks. There are a few great divey bars near Fenway. I am partial to Bukowski's and The Dugout. Newbury Street is fun to walk up and down for shops and what not. JP Licks is good for ice cream. Boston Common/{Public Garden is beautiful. Walk behind the State House for Beacon Hill, beautiful old homes and Acorn Street, one of the most photographed streets in America! North End is one of my favorite hoods. The Boston little Italy. Fun to wander and drink espresso and eat cannolis. Man I love Boston. Looking forward to this trip!   
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited February 2018
    rbhester said:

I did Freedom Trail in '16. I think I was on it about 5 hours but I stopped and ate and had a few beers at the Bell In Hand Tavern, the oldest still-operating tavern in the US. The old graveyard on the trail is very cool in it's own. A lot of the people who built this nation are buried there. Revere's house is cool too.

If you stop at the Beantown Pub you can toast Sam Adams by drinking a Sam Adams while looking across the street at Sam Adams' grave.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • It's on the other side of the city as Fenway but definitely check out the Harpoon Beer Hall. It's got Oktoberfest style long tables and they serve warm pretzels (in addition to many great beers) and it's right by the water. Plenty of good spots to eat right on the water there as well after a few pints at Harpoon.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    JimmyV said:
    rbhester said:

If you stop at the Beantown Pub you can toast Sam Adams by drinking a Sam Adams while looking across the street at Sam Adams' grave.

Unfortunately former Patriots lineman Sam Adams won't be able to join you.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • ski-bumski-bum Boston Posts: 1,010
    Eat in the north end
    9/15/98 - Great Woods................9/29/04 - Fleet Center.....................8/02/08 - Opera House (EV)............10/16/13 - DCU Center
    8/29/00 - Tweeter Center............5/24/06 - Banknorth Garden............5/17/10 - Banknorth Garden.............08/05/16 - Fenway Park
    7/11/03 - Tweeter Center............5/25/06 - Banknorth Garden............6/16/11 - Wang Theatre (EV)............08/07/16 - Fenway Park
    9/28/04 - Fleet Center................6/30/08 - Tweeter Center
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2018
    ed243421 said:
    * eagle fans excluded
    I can't wait to wear a Jason Kelce jersey into Fenway 
    my2hands said:
    ed243421 said:
    * eagle fans excluded
    I can't wait to wear a Jason Kelce jersey into Fenway 
    Few will notice and even fewer will care.

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    What to do in Boston? Find a bench and contemplate how you would much rather be in Chicago! 

Just kidding!!! :

JB288319 - that's some pretty sound advice. I'm not going there (Boston) this time but I would like to get there some time. I will keep your ideas in mind. THanks for the recommendations.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    edited February 2018
    Union Oyster House.  Claims to be America's longest continuously running restaurant.  Cool place and if you like oysters you can go wrong.
    That place is great and it is cool to have oysters and a pint in the same spot as Daniel Webster.  Boiled lobster and the fried clams are great there as well.  That being said, the oysters at island creek oyster bar are MUCH better IMHO.

Going to the top of the prudential building is cool if the weather is nice.
    I got this last time I was in Boston with the family and it was a great deal:
    https://www.citypass.com/boston

Post edited by Get_Right on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    Poncier said:
    PJNB said:
    Looking at a place in Revere now since my last one within walking distance to Fenway was cancelled and everything is now booked up. Its on Dedham st. Is this a decent neighbourhood? I have heard good and bad things about the  Revere beach area. Also I was think of driving into the show and parking. There is a good rate at this location. 30 Kilmarnock st The Harlo Garage. 

We are going down with our 3 kids and my mother in law will be watching them while we are at the show. I am trying to limit my time away from the kids before and after the show so I thought driving in would be the quickest way in and out just worried that I would get stuck in the area around Fenway before and after the show trying to park and return home. Any locals have any advice?

I'd term Dedham St Revere an OK neighborhood at best, its off of Broadway, basic residential area, not the finest part of Revere.
    I think you can do better, especially if bringing the kids.
    Ok thanks what about near the airport? Somewhere near Bennington and Chelsea st.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Is there a place to go and see the locals use the word "wicked" over and over?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Pretty much this map

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Pretty much this map

This map is wicked close to accurate.

• LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Thanks everyone for the great advice!  Can't wait for September! 

Any music history sites in Boston?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Baby Wheels is my favorite.  I have a book of maps like that - hilarious.  Growing up in VT I also agree with that map of the region.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    edited February 2018
    JimmyV said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Pretty much this map

New Brunswick  "What is this" :lol:
    How far of a drive is the Pawtucket Pawsox ballpark from Boston?  Their season finale is on Sept 3.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    How far of a drive is the Pawtucket Pawsox ballpark from Boston?  Their season finale is on Sept 3.
    Hour south of the city. You'll probably hit traffic on the way back with people returning from the Cape.
    Will they be coming back from Seasonal Heroin, Down The Cape, or Gays?
    Either way they have to go through Wicked Bad Traffic
    pjl44 said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Hour south of the city. You'll probably hit traffic on the way back with people returning from the Cape.
    That's right, it will be Labor Day.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    JimmyV said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Pretty much this map

Yeah, its pissah.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • wobbler_kittywobbler_kitty Millbury, MA Posts: 161
    Whatever you end up doing, leave yourself plenty of time to get back to Fenway. Boston loves it’s traffic, it’s Labor Day weekend, and car and foot traffic around the park will be heavy. Fenway shows start earlier than usual due to a sound ordinance and they will definitely go on on time. Be in your seats before 7:30. 
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Pretty much this map

Yeah, its pissah.
    I will say driving from Boston to Buffalo every year for Christmas has taught me that once you get past Albany there really is nothing there. The Thruway cuts through this endless, empty swath of New York for hundreds of miles.

• Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    Thanks for all the info guys. I think I am skipping Salem. Maybe I'll make it back one day and have the time to see it. But this time there might just not be enough time. And the freedom trails seems to offer a lot of history as well. I assume someone is organising parties around the shows as well?!
    Boston people use the word "wicked"

Salem has witches

I see a connection here!
    A question regarding hotels......we are currently booked at the Copley Square Hotel.  The location seems good, but the reviews say the rooms are a bit small and old.

I found a similarly priced room at the Hyatt in Cambridge, which is a bit farther from Fenway Park.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.