Options

They're going to ban Smartphone use at shows

Comments

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,341
    We can only hope they do
  • Options
    R-Dub81R-Dub81 Posts: 374
    With ticketing companies now pushing the paper-less ticket, and using a QR Code on your phones, I think it will end up being a hard policy to police. The last big show I went to where i had a virtual ticket, I had to show it anytime tried to get back to my seat. 
    "Some people think it makes a difference...I think it's the difference that makes it" 

340xxx
    03 - Mansfield 3
    04 - Asheville
    06 - Hartford
    08 - Columbia, MSG 1, MSG 2, Hartford
    10 - Kansas City, Hartford
    12 - Atlanta
    13 - Charlotte
    16 - Columbia
    18 - Boston 2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited February 2018
    As long as the phone isn’t blocking my view I’ve learned to ignore it and just enjoy myself. I can’t control their behavior.

plus I hate the idea of banning cell phones. I may need to be reached while im at a concert. Family emergencies and all...
    Well, that's the only problem. If the phones weren't blocking my view I wouldn't give a shit. Unfortunately, phones are indeed blocking my view, probably at a good 50% of the shows I attend.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I have a few cool photos but would be happy to be phone free! 
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    After the DMB show the other night, I noticed 3 things:

1) I'm too old for GA, and all the careless fools bumping into me all night, falling down multiple times.
    2) If you think 10c members are entitled, you haven't seen the elitist d-bags that are in the Warehouse. And I say this as a Warehouse member.
    3) I watched half of the show through someone else's phone. Put the damn things away! 15 seconds to snap some pictures and back in the pocket. Bleeping ridiculous. I fully support banning the "smart" aspect of phones at shows, while still making it possible to call and text. 
  • Options
    More Than 60 Fans Ejected From A PERFECT CIRCLE Show For Taking Photos

[ http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/more-than-60-fans-ejected-from-a-perfect-circle-show-for-taking-photos.html ]

A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    Tool does it, as well as Puscifer & A Perfect Circle.    Dave Chappelle & Ari Shaffir too.

A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    “I don’t like talking chairs”
  • Options
    David KaufmannDavid Kaufmann Lancashire Posts: 49
    I'm sure it's been mentioned but seems unlikely as tickets for US shows will be on your smart phone!!!
  • Options
    I don’t concern myself with what others do at a show unless they are physically harming others (or puking/pissing).  They spent a lot of money, if they want to listen to the music and play games on their phone that is their choice.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786
    “I don’t like talking chairs”
    Haaaaaaaaaaaa 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I don’t concern myself with what others do at a show unless they are physically harming others (or puking/pissing).  They spent a lot of money, if they want to listen to the music and play games on their phone that is their choice.
    Then why go to begin with?  Seriously, who the fuck plays games on their phone while at a concert?  

Sorry, I'm not OK with someone being a dick because they "spent a lot of money".  So did I.  And even if I didn't?  Just be considerate, and know you won't die if that precious black box is put aside for a couple of hours.
  • Options
    What happens when your battery dies mid show?  Are you confined to you seat?
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Those phones don't make you smart.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Seattle Posts: 614
    hedonist said:
    Then why go to begin with?  Seriously, who the fuck plays games on their phone while at a concert?  

Sorry, I'm not OK with someone being a dick because they "spent a lot of money".  So did I.  And even if I didn't?  Just be considerate, and know you won't die if that precious black box is put aside for a couple of hours.
    Yeah, no kidding. People have gotten so ridiculous at shows as far as phones are concerned. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    What happens when your battery dies mid show?  Are you confined to you seat?
    Do you mean with mobile tickets? No, you're not. Sounds like they print a receipt with your seat number on it when you enter anyhow. People don't need to present their phones each time they want to get back to their seats.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,880
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,543
    Its quite amazing how many people will watch a live show through the screen on their phone. I wanna say to these guys..."you know, it's much higher resolution if you just use your eyes!"

I hate it! OK - take a few pics and video but be there to enjoy the experience. I hope they ban phones from shows.
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    aurelgugusaurelgugus France & Luxembourg Posts: 499
    Tool does it, as well as Puscifer & A Perfect Circle.    Dave Chappelle & Ari Shaffir too.

I saw a Perfect circle a few months ago and everybody complied with the no phone rule. It was great to be able to enjoy the show without people holding their phone right in front of my face.
    2012 : Amsterdam 2
    2014 : Amsterdam 1&2, Milan, Berlin, Werchter
    2018 : Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London 1, Berlin, Werchter, London 2
    2020 : ?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Ban phones but not real cameras. 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,372
    You cant ban phones, when you'd prefer to save money printing tickets using phones. 
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    mrussel1 said:
    Ban phones but not real cameras. 
    yeah buddy
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    I am probably reiterating something someone said earlier, but Jack White has people put them into a magnetically locked "Yonder" pouch.  Saw him in SF....no phones....it was the best....
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,369
    I am probably reiterating something someone said earlier, but Jack White has people put them into a magnetically locked "Yonder" pouch.  Saw him in SF....no phones....it was the best....
    I hope I live to see this day.....when everyone goes back to "the good ol days" when no one had a damn cell phone sticking in the air, no one was live-streaming the video to friends so that THEIR need to put the phone in front of your face is more important that your need to see the show you paid good $ for. 
    Any of you out there over 50 (like me) remember when we used to just watch the shows.....and for god's sake STOP WITH THE FLASH AND THE LIGHTS ON THE VIDEOS!! 

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    Yeah I saw him 3x on this tour but they were all GA.  So it was a little long to be there 90 min+ before show time and not even have a watch!  Once the show started, it was great.  
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah I saw him 3x on this tour but they were all GA.  So it was a little long to be there 90 min+ before show time and not even have a watch!  Once the show started, it was great.  
    Same here, and had the itch to take a pic from 2-3 people deep at one of the shows. Didn’t mind the no phone setup since his photographer posted images about 30 minutes after the end of the show.

Can’t see PJ really adopting this unless they do shows at smaller venues. 
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    Just saw Tool and I enjoyed both: not seeing phones in my line of sight, and watching people (yes, plural.. many) who can't follow extremely simple rules get kicked-out. There were signs literally everywhere and a loud-ass audio recording playing on loop at the venue entrance saying no pictures or videos.  Staff were also hawks.  I think it is sad that as adults, we create the need for a Yonder pouch instead of people just following simple instructions.  
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049

Yes yes yes!  You can scan your ticket on the way in, and lock it up and enjoy the show.    
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    PSUS2H said:

Yes yes yes!  You can scan your ticket on the way in, and lock it up and enjoy the show.    

Hopefully this restriction is disclosed at the time of ticket purchase.

I agree phones at shows can be very annoying. However, forfeiting non intrusive use all evening, plus additional lines to lock and unlock phones - in addition to lines for security, ticket scans, concessions and rest rooms is something I would dread just as much as intrusive phone use.

Also its ironic how much some acts hate appearing on you tube. If they were less successful  their attitudes might be different.