Options

When did you fist get a cell phone?

I'm curious as to when you first got a cell phone and how old you were?

I finally decided to get one in 2000 at the ripe age of 25, lol.

This will be interesting to see.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    2004 at age 18, the day after I finished my Leaving Cert (final school exam). I think I was the only one in my year without a mobile :tongue:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I’ve never fist gotten a cell phone!!!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    I got my first one for Christmas in 2001. I was 18. My parents decided that the cell phone was cheaper for me calling home from college instead of the university plan and/or calling collect. :lol:
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    2002, aged 18.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    dankind said:
    I’ve never fist gotten a cell phone!!!

LOL!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    I got my first cell phone somewhere around my senior year in college, fall 2011. It was nice not needing phone cards (man did I have a lot of them) or calling collect to talk to family and my long distance gf. I think my first bill was like $35. All the plans were tiered based on minutes. Text messages were pretty much unheard of because they were so expensive and the camera on the phone blew ass. I had that phone for like 5 years. The thing was a brick!

Nextels were the bomb because you didn't need to use minutes. I had one for work.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    I think it was around 1999.  Prince made me do it.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,262
    2001. I was 13 back then. 17 years later and I still have the same mobile phone (and number). :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I managed to hold out until 2006.  I was 29 years old.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    I fist got a cell phone in early 2002. Fist one of my friends to get one was in '99ish, I think...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,272
    Pap said:
    2001. I was 13 back then. 17 years later and I still have the same mobile phone (and number). :smile:
    You have the same phone today as you had in 2001? Really?

I have the same number too.

I also have the same email address as my fist one back in 1996. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    2015 I was 52, been a learning curve ever since, still learning and baffled by all the bells and whistles... the house I was living in had the first party phone line in  town since 1930 something, the longest standing phone line, had to cancel when I moved to the "big city" One of the incentives to get with technology was an emergency situation, my neighbour couldn't work a cell phone to get help...ended tragically, I would have been in the same boat...
  • Options
    2015 I was 52, been a learning curve ever since, still learning and baffled by all the bells and whistles... the house I was living in had the first party phone line in  town since 1930 something, the longest standing phone line, had to cancel when I moved to the "big city" One of the incentives to get with technology was an emergency situation, my neighbour couldn't work a cell phone to get help...ended tragically, I would have been in the same boat...
    Crazy.

My uncle is 79 and he just got one.
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    It was either 1999 or 2000.  i can t remember for sure but I was 19 or 20.  It was this sweet thing here.

Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Fall of 2001.  I was 23
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    It was either 1999 or 2000.  i can t remember for sure but I was 19 or 20.  It was this sweet thing here.

lol, in 93 I had a job where we had those HUGE motorola cell phones that cost a buck a minute.  I thought it was cool as shit that I could talk while driving.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I have my third cell phone now, the first one I don’t remember when I got, maybe ten -fifteen years ago. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I got my first in 2002 when I was a sophomore I think.
    It was a prepaid Nokia and about half the kids in school had one at that point, but literally nobody used them at all.  They were just for emergencies.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    It was a prepaid Nokia and about half the kids in school had one at that point, but literally nobody used them at all.  They were just for emergencies.
    So to bring that point to today, I was at the movie theater and I heard some teens talking about how they are "out of data again" and couldn't use their phone while the other one said that he is almost out too.

I have had "unlimited" since I first purchased an Iphone 1 10 years ago and never had a problem so I ask if this is a thing now a days?  Instead of running out of minutes people are running out of data now?

Crazy.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    So to bring that point to today, I was at the movie theater and I heard some teens talking about how they are "out of data again" and couldn't use their phone while the other one said that he is almost out too.

I have had "unlimited" since I first purchased an Iphone 1 10 years ago and never had a problem so I ask if this is a thing now a days?  Instead of running out of minutes people are running out of data now?

Crazy.
    We run out of data a week into our cycle because my son watches kid vids on YouTube and it's our only internet connection.
    Even unlimited data only gives you a certain amount at 4G speeds, after that streaming becomes impossible and other tasks get tedious.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    This thing was the shit and I was as cool as all the rappers

• Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Crazy.
    We run out of data a week into our cycle because my son watches kid vids on YouTube and it's our only internet connection.
    Even unlimited data only gives you a certain amount at 4G speeds, after that streaming becomes impossible and other tasks get tedious.
    Your unlimited data and my unlimited data plan are completely different.  I know I was part of the class action lawsuit against ATT for throttling and they stopped that. I don't get slowdowns no matter how many gigs I use.

I've been told by people in the apple store to never change my plan. 
  • Options
    Lucky bum!
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited February 2018
    Now I need to “fist get” some sleep :) I will knock myself out.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    In 2000 when I was 24. Got a prepaid one to use as my phone when I went to college. That lasted a year before i said fuck this and went back to a land line. Used one for work from 2003, never gave up the flip phone they gave me until I left back in the spring. Didn't get another personal one until 2012.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited February 2018
    I'm curious as to when you first got a cell phone and how old you were?

I finally decided to get one in 2000 at the ripe age of 25, lol.

This will be interesting to see.

Thanks
    I think my stats are exactly the same as your. Got mine in 2000 at age 25. In fact, my best friend bought it for me for my 25th birthday. I actually still have that phone, lol. A big brick-like Motorola with a pull-out antennae and a leather case with plastic over the screen, haha. I have never had a phone since that had reception as good as that one had.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    Guessing early 1997 but may  have been late 96.
    Looked something like this.
    Ericcson.
    22-23 years old

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    I've had 2 for a total of about a week.  I was 38?
    The first I dropped in the cats water dish.
    The second I threw out in the yard one night. (I think my wife retrieved it, but I never saw it again)
    I've never looked back, and I'm happier than you folk. :wink:

Pearl Jam wants me to get one to get into their shows this year.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I have had the same phone number since my first phone.
    I have also kept every single phone I have had.
    Will post a photo later.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014