Fender Basses

i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
Who likes Fender Basses and what do you think of them...I'm actually looking to buy one soon.

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Depends what you're looking for. I like the P-Bass but it all depends on models and sounds you want.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I currently own three. Currently have a American Standard P-Bass, A 1962 reissue Jazz Bass, and a Jaguar. I did own a Mexican 5 String Standard bass, but sold it a year after I bought it. The only reason I sold the 5 string was it just didn't work for me. I just prefer a 4 string bass. The P-Bass is my hands down favorite, but it also has a pretty thick neck. Tone wise its perfect. The 62 Jazz has a wonderful ridiculous narrow and thin neck. Pick up's sound great, plays great etc. The jag is from the first run when they first released it in the US (Made in Japan). The neck and the pick ups are the same that are on the 62 reissue, However it has a pre amp in it. Very cool bass. Honestly I don't even use the pre amp.

There are other basses I like however I'll always have a least a P-Bass in my collection.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I have a standard J Bass & love it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Standard Fender P-Bass and I feel like the notes are more defined. I'm not a bass player though.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368

Standard Fender P-Bass and I feel like the notes are more defined. I'm not a bass player though.

yup. definitely more defined. I feel like the J bass resonates a bit more, which I really like.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    mfc2006 said:

yup. definitely more defined. I feel like the J bass resonates a bit more, which I really like.

Its warmer - more junk in the trunk.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    edited April 2015
    mfc2006 said:

Nice I had a Squier Jazz Bass for awhile but I ended up selling it though.
    Post edited by i_lov_it on

I currently own three. Currently have a American Standard P-Bass, A 1962 reissue Jazz Bass, and a Jaguar. I did own a Mexican 5 String Standard bass, but sold it a year after I bought it. The only reason I sold the 5 string was it just didn't work for me. I just prefer a 4 string bass. The P-Bass is my hands down favorite, but it also has a pretty thick neck. Tone wise its perfect. The 62 Jazz has a wonderful ridiculous narrow and thin neck. Pick up's sound great, plays great etc. The jag is from the first run when they first released it in the US (Made in Japan). The neck and the pick ups are the same that are on the 62 reissue, However it has a pre amp in it. Very cool bass. Honestly I don't even use the pre amp.

There are other basses I like however I'll always have a least a P-Bass in my collection.

Thanks for the info :)
  • Jazz bass's seem to be more boomier. P bass's have a nice warm punch.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

Jazz bass's seem to be more boomier. P bass's have a nice warm punch.
    Ok yeah that's my thought...I like the Precision Bass more then the Jazz Basses...
    mfc2006 said:

I had a Jazz Bass a Squier...it wasn't really my sound so I sold it...probably leaning more towards a Precision Bass although I wouldn't say no to a Fender Jazz Bass...
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    My P is warm.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • 2.5 years later and I lean towards the Jazz bass tone.  Then again it can just be the music that's being created.  Still always need a P Bass

Yeah I was thinking about getting a Jazz Bass as well but just a cheap one to see if I like it...the Fender will be a Precision Bass...

My P is natural. 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Picked this beauty up yesterday......

Brand new 2016 MIM model, Fender Jazz bass.  Just under $500.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited December 2017
    Lake Placid blue is the best Fender color. That’s sweet. I want a Tele that matches.
    Post edited by DewieCox on

Hey nice looking Bass...Great colour and for just under $500 good price too :)
    i_lov_it said:

Hey nice looking Bass...Great colour and for just under $500 good price too :)
    Thank you!  They were blowing out their old stock, got lucky!
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    This started out as a black, 94 MIM standard:

You can tell why they painted the body. It's a lot of pieces. Looks funky in a good way in person, though.
    dudeman said:

Love it!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Thanks. It was a fun project. The only things I didn't mess with are the tuners and the neck plate. 

I refinished the body, swapped the pickup for a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, the bridge for a hi-mass ESP,  replaced the pots, cap, wiring, jack pickguard and strap buttons. I also polished and crowned the frets, shimmed the neck and hand cut a new nut from a blank of Micarta. The nut has asymmetrical spacing, getting a little farther apart for the higher strings.

Turned out to be a fun bass to play.
    dudeman said:

That looks Really Good :)
    dudeman said:
    Thanks. It was a fun project. The only things I didn't mess with are the tuners and the neck plate. 

I refinished the body, swapped the pickup for a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder, the bridge for a hi-mass ESP,  replaced the pots, cap, wiring, jack pickguard and strap buttons. I also polished and crowned the frets, shimmed the neck and hand cut a new nut from a blank of Micarta. The nut has asymmetrical spacing, getting a little farther apart for the higher strings.

Turned out to be a fun bass to play.

Yeah that sounds good man...I want to do something like this but just with a Cheap Bass I already have...I want to just pull it apart and get new parts for it and out it back together again...
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    I have an American Standard P Bass and love it. I've also owned a MIM Jazz bass and prefer the P Bass in every way.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...

This is the same bass posted farther up. Made a few changes since the last post.