Beck

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
He is coming to Winnipeg with a festival known as the Interstellar Rodeo in August. I'm just curious, of course I was a fan in the 90's when he was at the height of his popularity, but I'm wondering what he is like live, regardless of his current musical output? Tickets for the one night are $134 CDN. Father John Misty is playing the Friday night, and Broken Social Scene on the Sunday. It's $240 for the weekend. But that's a bit steep for me. 

Is Beck worth $134 for a casual fan?
Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Comments

• ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    I would say he is if there are some others on the bill.  I'm somewhere between a casual fan and a hardcore and have always enjoyed his shows.  That said I've never paid quite that much for one of his shows.  Will it be full band or more of an acoustic setting?  Both are good just quite different vibes.
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    He is coming to Winnipeg with a festival known as the Interstellar Rodeo in August. I'm just curious, of course I was a fan in the 90's when he was at the height of his popularity, but I'm wondering what he is like live, regardless of his current musical output? Tickets for the one night are $134 CDN. Father John Misty is playing the Friday night, and Broken Social Scene on the Sunday. It's $240 for the weekend. But that's a bit steep for me. 

This is a tough one. I was a slightly more than casual fan, and spent $100 plus to see him, and was not disappointed. You should check out his appearance on From The Basement... seeing his band perform on that show helped me decide to go to the show. He's not going to wow you with an intense stage presence, but he and the band play some tight grooves.

• pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,786
    edited May 2017

I would say no. Instead enjoy father John Misty and go home and play Pure Comedy. I saw beck a few years ago and I'm a casual fan as well. It was fun, good but not worth $134
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Beck has announced some new shows! Including one in Vancouver! .... Problem: there are two presales. I just discovered that I wasn't signed up for the Beck mailing list, so that presale is out - bummer, because I try to be on all those mailing lists, but I obviously forgot about this one. There is also a Spotify presale... and I don't think I've listened to Beck enough on Spotify to qualify for that code either. At least, I haven't received the email for it yet. I usually listen to Beck on vinyl, so not too much Spotify listening happening for him. Anyway, if anyone is willing to share the Spotify or website presale code with me via PM, I would really appreciate it! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2017
    Thanks to those who messaged me! :) I got a couple of good singles, since a row 3 popped up after I got row 14. I tried for a pair, but nothing really good came up. Seems I've become a bit of a seat snob - I find it difficult to settle for mediocre ones at this point in my life, lol. I guess I won't have issues finding someone to take the second ticket. Pretty stoked! Never seen Beck before! :)
    I did end up getting the Spotify code AND the Beck maillist code emailed to me, but 5 minutes and 20 minutes after the sale started, respectively, so that is better than nothing, but they sure do need to work on their timing! I've never seen an artist maillist send a presale code after the sale started. Wtf? Good to know for the future.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    I really loved Morning phase and I love much of his other music.  I was very underwhelmed when I saw him on his last tour in houston.  He plays more uptempo music and was a very annoying performer in my opinion.  I felt like I was at a shitty club in south beach.  Dude is a fantastic musician and songwriter, my issue was purely on his setlist and delivery.  
    My two cents.  
    dr122931 said:
    I really loved Morning phase and I love much of his other music.  I was very underwhelmed when I saw him on his last tour in houston.  He plays more uptempo music and was a very annoying performer in my opinion.  I felt like I was at a shitty club in south beach.  Dude is a fantastic musician and songwriter, my issue was purely on his setlist and delivery.  
    My two cents.  
    Well that sucks, lol.
  • CridderCridder Posts: 165
    edited May 2017
    I saw him in 95-95 during the odelay tour Pavement and Soul Coughing opened for him it was awesome
    Cridder said:
    I saw him in 95-95 during the odelay tour Pavement and Soul Coughing opened for him it was awesome
    That is indeed awesome. I'd really love to see that line up.
    edited October 2017
    Yeah... well the author seems to hate Beck through and through. :lol: While I disagree with his evaluation of Morning Phase (and the Beyonce album that lost to it), I'm not finding the review of Colours hard to believe - the singles released for it pretty much suck. I have extremely low expectations.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    S/t Beyoncé is light years better than Morning Phase.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I think Up All Nights and Dreams are awesome
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    edited October 2017
    New album is great so far (only four tracks). It’s interesting how Beck is wearing his influences on his sleeves on it... I get such distinctive inspiration from Elliott Smith, k-os, Taylor Swift, some MGMT. Am I crazy?
    Post edited by benjs on
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8I1B4n_8Cto

my daughter loves making slime, our interests converge. ;)