Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,735
    Did a quick search and may have something to do with this tweet. 
    https://twitter.com/Paul9James/status/675440259145035776

• Options
    I'm pretty sure BBall season ticket holders get first crack at their own seats for events, and a lot of the luxury-box tickets also come with floor access. Probably can't get the arena to make 10C ticketing work. It's a shame--PJ hasn't been to Louisville in 23 years. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    Spoony C said:
    I'm pretty sure BBall season ticket holders get first crack at their own seats for events, and a lot of the luxury-box tickets also come with floor access. Probably can't get the arena to make 10C ticketing work. It's a shame--PJ hasn't been to Louisville in 23 years. 
    Probably more than just a season ticket holder issue
    I've been to many PJ shows where clearly the  venue VIPS and season ticket holders had the better seats.
    Might be all that plus an issue with promoter and or scheduling
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    Spoony C said:
    Is Freedom Hall still an option?  I know PJ played there in 2003 but wasn't sure if the arena was still viable once the UL went to the Yum Center.  I'd love to see a show in Louisville sometime. Was in town for a hoops tourney one weekend like 10 years ago and had an blast. great town.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited September 2017
    Remember the uproar by VIP's and Season Pass holders when they got shut out of the Lincoln show in 2014?

I totally think this is legit... I also LOVE that PJ doesn't do any of the bullshit credit card presales which allow bots and scalpers to clean up

If a venue wants to bring in PJ and sell the venue out, then they have to agree to PJ's demands. I personally love it
  • Options
    Ticketing would have only been a small part of the problem. When Jeff commented, "too much hoops", he was referring to the ridiculous lease agreement that the university of louisville has with the yum center. In it, they were allowed to keep events from playing in the arena the day before ,day of, and day after any men's or women's basketball game. It kept many events out of the arena. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    if Louisville hoops gets the death penalty with these federal corruption charges does it make it more likely PJ plays the Yum Center?
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    if Louisville hoops gets the death penalty with these federal corruption charges does it make it more likely PJ plays the Yum Center?
    I would think Pearl Jam is in a much better position to play there now than yesterday.  Yum Center will be begging for revenue going forward. Any way they can get it.  
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
    pjhawks said:
    I would think Pearl Jam is in a much better position to play there now than yesterday.  Yum Center will be begging for revenue going forward. Any way they can get it.  
    How many games a year does L-Ville play ther?
  • Options

I'm still not sure the games rules (no events day before or after) are the root of the problem. Both of the last two tours to come through this area (fall 2014, when nearby Cincinnati was around the first of October, and spring 2016, when Lexington was chosen for a late-April date) were outside of basketball season. So I still think the season-ticket/luxury box advantages (and maybe unbreakable agreements with other presale entities like the credit-card companies) are the worst of the "hoops" that need to be jumped through, though it is a nice pun.

As to the "begging for revenue" element, that is likely to be true, especially if the school gets the dreaded "death penalty" (a season or two of not being allowed to play AT ALL), but worse, the arena was about to renegotiate its debt and bond issue, and without confidence in basketball revenue, worst-case, it could default and not even have the budget to host many (or any) events in the coming years. So who knows? (As a fan of both the Cards and the increased live-music activity in Louisville since the arena opened, I'm not a happy camper right now.)

• Options
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    It includes men's and women's basketball. Just quick estimate, 20 homes games per year per team.  40 Games.  That's 120 Total Days that the arena is unavailable which is crazy.  Now, I think that may have been slightly adjusted, but it's still super restrictive to make money during the late fall and winter.  
    "That's part of the curse: If you're gonna play the song, you better play it. I've tried to phone in "Jeremy" a few times, and it's tough. It doesn't work."

EV
  • Options
    dcp3ydcp3y Louisville KY Posts: 777
    I believe in miracles!  PJ play the Yum Center some day and on their band/fan friendly terms. 
  • Options
    The lease with UL was recently changed. This is seen as a stopgap until further changes can be implemented to help the Yum Center increase revenue, as it does't look like they'll be able to make their bond payments once they increase in 2020. The Yum Center is going to HAVE to make changes to increase the number of events at the arena if they want to avoid bankruptcy. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,421
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    It includes men's and women's basketball. Just quick estimate, 20 homes games per year per team.  40 Games.  That's 120 Total Days that the arena is unavailable which is crazy.  Now, I think that may have been slightly adjusted, but it's still super restrictive to make money during the late fall and winter.  
    A 120 days is a lot of days, just for basketball.  I forgot the women play ther too.