2017 Pearl Jam Complete Vinyl Box Set

Comments

• lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

Just my theory here.

IF they had full disclosure that the records were colored or booklet signed or whatnot THEN the flippers would have moved in.  That's an easy sell to flip.  The people that bought it unknowing that something would be different end up with a friggin cool surprise.

My guess is to prevent the act of flipping and 10C members had first crack at something.

So c'mon 10c surprise!!!

I like your thought process sir!!!!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    mace1229 said:
    I don't think that the limited box sets are singed. All the 10 records are in the box. And Matt dind't play on the first 5 records
    Box set isn't signed, the booklet/COA is.

Why have a COA?!?

Where did the signed booklet news come from?
    My guess its a rumor started to explain why have a COA.
    But it does bring up a good point, what is the COA for? Why have one just for the records, if they in fact are no different than the others available?
    I was one of the ones who laughed for a few hours thinking they'd never sell. I'll probably be a little frustrated if there was more than described. But what would the point be of not a full disclosure? Allow those with extra money to spend to gamble that there is a difference, and allow time for flippers to get their hands on them?
    Just my theory here.

IF they had full disclosure that the records were colored or booklet signed or whatnot THEN the flippers would have moved in.  That's an easy sell to flip.  The people that bought it unknowing that something would be different end up with a friggin cool surprise.

My guess is to prevent the act of flipping and 10C members had first crack at something.

So c'mon 10c surprise!!!
    Jeez.
    Now I see why they call it dope...
  • I hope the complete box comes with all 10 albums, a box, and a COA, just like the description says.

I bought 2 empty boxes to fill myself and chose NOT spend the extra $100 for a COA.

If there is something different about the 500 than what is in the description, then there should have been more transparency from the beginning.

My two cents, although there are many here hoping for a big surprise. 
  • shecky said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don't think that the limited box sets are singed. All the 10 records are in the box. And Matt dind't play on the first 5 records

Why have a COA?!?

But it does bring up a good point, what is the COA for? Why have one just for the records, if they in fact are no different than the others available?
    I was one of the ones who laughed for a few hours thinking they'd never sell. I'll probably be a little frustrated if there was more than described. But what would the point be of not a full disclosure? Allow those with extra money to spend to gamble that there is a difference, and allow time for flippers to get their hands on them?
    Just my theory here.

So c'mon 10c surprise!!!
    Jeez.
    Now I see why they call it dope...
    It's a theory, you dope...

See what I did there, lol.

I kid, I kid!
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    pdalowsky said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Come now Paul...gotta do sumfin' in between tour announcements.
    The internet is awash with documentaries on plumbing, college dormitories, cheerleaders, and the likes ;)
    Damn right.

#porm
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    Classic movie. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    I think everyone is probably reading too much into this. The COA/booklet is just part of the marketing to say this is an official set sold by 10c and will have a little bit of band info on it. The empty boxes were probably intended for those who have some/all of the records and didn't want to buy the same records again. Is this just not the same as the bootleg boxes.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    mace1229 said:

Why have a COA?!?

To separate these box sets from people that bought empty boxes and filled with same records.
    If so, then what is the point to distinguish the two if the records are the same? If the records turn out to be the same, then who cares if they were bought separately or not?
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    FR181798 said:
    I think everyone is probably reading too much into this. The COA/booklet is just part of the marketing to say this is an official set sold by 10c and will have a little bit of band info on it. The empty boxes were probably intended for those who have some/all of the records and didn't want to buy the same records again. Is this just not the same as the bootleg boxes.
    The only thing against this is that would mean the coa cost an extra $100. 
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
    Horse2345 said:
    FR181798 said:
    The only thing against this is that would mean the coa cost an extra $100. 

Apart from the 4 new reissues, the other six will be getting repressed for this, that means quite a big setup charge and it depends what 10c value the records at (not Amazon prices). That's where the other $100 could go. It actually beats me why they bothered doing the complete box when 60% of it is easily available. They could have just done a made to order empty box.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    FR181798 said:
    Apart from the 4 new reissues, the other six will be getting repressed for this, that means quite a big setup charge and it depends what 10c value the records at (not Amazon prices). That's where the other $100 could go. It actually beats me why they bothered doing the complete box when 60% of it is easily available. They could have just done a made to order empty box.
    Do we know they're getting repressed?  We know they're repressing ten with the original mix/artwork, and we know they're repressing Binaural through Avacado, but it did occur to me that there might be loads of extra stock to cover 500 copies of the other albums?
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Ever want to know where the heart of this board beats? Here, right here. Haha!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • GC31608GC31608 GA Posts: 227
    Ever want to know where the heart of this board beats? Here, right here. Haha!! 

Effin right man, hahaha.  Wow!
    Zod said:
    FR181798 said:
    Do we know they're getting repressed?  We know they're repressing ten with the original mix/artwork, and we know they're repressing Binaural through Avacado, but it did occur to me that there might be loads of extra stock to cover 500 copies of the other albums?
    Although possible I've never heard of anyone putting together a box set with old stock. I imagine there will be a very subtle difference in the box copies. Barcode or copyright or something, runout on the vinyl etc. I can't see them unwrapping the shrink on 3000 records from the past 8 years. Boxsets usually have unsealed records inside with the entire box shrinkwrapped.
  • A lot of energy around "these better not be special" . . .
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    A definitive response/answer from 10C would put an end to a lot of this  fantasy and speculation.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Special?

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Of course those that already have some of the reissues don't want them to be special, I wasnt about to spend what would have been close to $500 to get this to the UK on the off chance they would be something more than advertised.
  • A definitive response/answer from 10C would put an end to a lot of this  fantasy and speculation.
    I'm pretty sure they answered all questions in their item description lol.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited September 2017
    A definitive response/answer from 10C would put an end to a lot of this  fantasy and speculation.
    I meant a response to all of these "fantasy" posts speculating on the what if's of these sets. I honestly believe there will be nothing more than what has already been described about the product.
    I don't care either way really, didn't order one of these, but it certainly is entertaining to read at times.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • A definitive response/answer from 10C would put an end to a lot of this  fantasy and speculation.
    I meant a response to all of these "fantasy" posts speculating on the what if's of these sets. I honestly believe there will be nothing more than what has already been described about the product.
    I don't care either way really, didn't order one of these, but it certainly is entertaining to read at times.

I know. I was just using your post as a platform to toss that little comment of mine out there.

The dreaming is definitely entertaining. Who knows? Maybe some of the theories might be true?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    FR181798 said:
    Zod said:
    FR181798 said:
    Although possible I've never heard of anyone putting together a box set with old stock. I imagine there will be a very subtle difference in the box copies. Barcode or copyright or something, runout on the vinyl etc. I can't see them unwrapping the shrink on 3000 records from the past 8 years. Boxsets usually have unsealed records inside with the entire box shrinkwrapped.
    My first thought was that was exactly what they were doing, old-new stock. We've seen pictures of how many "sold out" posters were in storage, seems reasonable they would have plenty of vinyl left over.
    I didnt assume they would unwrap each one, why couldn't they just shrink wrap them together over the shrink wrap? Doing a run of 500 for each of the other 6 does seem impractical and would explain the price if that is the case. Would explain the COA too if the vinyl was from a small run of 500 and not a larger reissue run.
  • pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306

Quite frankly everything I've ever read about color vinyl is that the sound quality isn't as good as plain old black vinyl.  Now mind you I have color vinyl, member of Jack White's Vault subscription, and no I really can't tell a difference between color vinyl next to same version on black vinyl but seems to me the color vinyl is more a thing of looking at it.

I have all the original PJ albums and will have all the reissues when released and there is no way I'll cry/try to purchase if the boxset is on color vinyl.  Just my two cents.

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • There is not real difference in sound between color and black vinyl (which is actually also colored vinyl). Its when you get into splatter, split, tri color, or quad color (flower pedal) where sound problems start to exist. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Pink Tens
    Orange Vses
    Grey Vitalogies
    Splatter No Codes
    Blue w/cloud swirl Yields
    Black w/etched Hourglass Nebula spinning hologram Binaurals
    Gold Riot Acts
    Blue Pearl Jams
    White Backspacers
    Red Lightning Bolts

You heard it here first...
  • GC31608GC31608 GA Posts: 227
    Pink Tens
    Orange Vses
    Grey Vitalogies
    Splatter No Codes
    Blue w/cloud swirl Yields
    Black w/etched Hourglass Nebula spinning hologram Binaurals
    Gold Riot Acts
    Blue Pearl Jams
    White Backspacers
    Red Lightning Bolts

You heard it here first...

Don't forget the autographed COA too.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    There is not real difference in sound between color and black vinyl (which is actually also colored vinyl). Its when you get into splatter, split, tri color, or quad color (flower pedal) where sound problems start to exist. 

And from what I've read, even then it's really not about it being coloured per se - it's just about production quality. The "fancier" it gets the bigger the risk of it not being pressed as well as it could be gets. It is still perfectly possible for a splatter or whatever to sound just as good as black vinyl... if really done right. But in many cases those offerings are more gimmick than quality (or the job is just a bit too hard for the pressing plant and they just do their best). Also, I've read that coloured vinyl often doesn't have as much durability as black, so over time and many plays, the black vinyl supposedly holds up way better. Whether any of this is actually true I can't say, but I've read the same thing in many different places, so I'm inclined to believe it.
    Obviously picture discs are another story - those always pretty much sound like shit, lol.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • There is not real difference in sound between color and black vinyl (which is actually also colored vinyl). Its when you get into splatter, split, tri color, or quad color (flower pedal) where sound problems start to exist. 
    All my TMR records sound great...
    All my Castleface Records w/splatter, colors from Thee Oh Sees, Fuzz and the like sound great.
    My Cake RSD colored box set sounds great.

That's just a few off the top of my head...

Two records I bought that sounded like shit?  DMB livetrax and Iron Maiden Live after death.  Both on black vinyl, go figure.

It's all in how you cut the record and how the plant presses it.

So, what's with this COA, is it signed or not?
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    The COA is for Vault 1 and 2 bonus LPs added to the box.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23