*** Eddie Vedder Ohana Festival Fanviews Here 9/8/17 ***

2»

Comments

• DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 235
    Eddie and Jack played Constellations, then was part of the finale "I Shall Be Released" with Jack, Glen, Kelly Slater and others.
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157

I didn't get a ton of pics as I try to stay in the moment, but here's one of the better ones. Great time, as was last year. My brother and I weren't any of the above mentioned old guys passed out drunk, but we definitely tied one on. So I am sorry to anyone if I may have bumped into you while dancing. Met many cool people from all over the world at the surfer hostel we stayed in. Highlights of the weekend for me besides Ed, were Glen Hansard and getting to spend some quality time with my little brother. Hope to see you all there next year!
    You were just in front of me, and maybe a little to the left.
    OOP'S I meant for that to be on the comment line. Right behind you in the floppy hat.
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    DoDaFoo said:
    Ohana Fest was amazing. The highlight of the sets for me was probably Eddie coming out during Glen's set for "Present Tense". Ray's set wasn't bad by any means, but killed the crowd. We were pretty close and by the half way point he'd lost everyone around us. Glen should have played right before Eddie. Overall, we had a blast. A lot of great music in a pretty small venue.

Honestly, I took a nap during his set. I'm not familiar with his music -- I didn't dislike it, but at that point in the evening I needed something with more energy. I wish Glen had played later in the day, maybe in that slot; he always brings a lot of energy and passion.

We arrived in time to see Conner Youngblood's set. I'm showing my age when I say it, but, to channel my grandmother, what a charming young man he is. I liked his music enough to take a closer look/ listen at it online.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 798
    The venue was absolutely incredible - beautiful beach, only two stages (small compared to the other festivals I've been to - Outside Lands, Austin City Limits, Made In America, etc. ) and absolutely perfect weather. Eddie summed up well during his set what I had been feeling all day - with all of the acknowledgment that times are bad these days, and frequent hypersensitivity we have to the bad vs. the good in life, it is important to ask yourself - "If this isn't nice, then what is?". And this certainly was an incredibly nice day!

However, as others have alluded to, the crowd was filled with many overly drunken, middle aged men pontificating as if they discovered Pearl Jam and telling their significant others the history of the band and Eddie as they saw it in their mind. These and other belligerent types were also were yelling out every time Eddie stopped to address the crowd, booing ideologies ignorantly, and talking during the other artists' sets. It really is a shame that the more festivals I attend, the more these types of attendees, along with the ever present phone & camera recorders, continue to flood their grounds and take away from what should be a wholly beautiful shared experience, devoid of the uneducated hatred and narcissistic technology usage flooding our society these days. Definitely didn't ruin the day but certainly detracted from the day's enjoyability. 

As for the music: Glen's set was incredible as always (fourth time seeing him) and definitely deserved to have more time/play later in the day. Present Tense was incredible and the crowd was filled with enough PJ die hards to join in with Ed during the choruses.  

Fiona Apple blew me away, as I expected her to. I loved getting to hear her masterfully nail some of my favorites of hers -  "On The Bound" and "Not About Love" stood out in particular - in addition to the newer material and covers with a tight band. Her voice is so powerful and her tunes are thoughtfully composed. And in reference to what kmac1976 said:
     Ed spoke briefly about her during his set and called her a 'machine'.  
    Minor point but I felt worth mentioning that Ed's full quote was something along the lines of "She really is an extraordinary machine" - in reference to the title of her '05 album. 

Next up I headed to the side stage to catch Liam Finn - the first time I'd seen him since opening for Ed in '08. Was awesome to hear some of his older material I was familiar with, and it was a treat to have him summon Ed to the stage for Habit. He is a great performer and puts on a unique show; it is a shame he isn't more widely appreciated.

Ray LaMontagne was one of the biggest disappointments being effectively slotted as the opener for Ed. I certainly respect his songwriting ability and smooth voice but thought his performance was lifeless, homogenous, and dragged on at least 20 minutes too long. Glen or Fiona should have been in this time slot (or simply Glen's set time should have been extended).

Eddie's set was fantastic. The new song sounded great and it was awesome getting the rarer Fugazi/Pink Floyd/George Harrison covers I hadn't had the chance to see Ed do live yet as big fans of all. Other highlights for me were the awesome versions of Immortality and Can't Keep. Eddie's quick story about Glen telling Eddie, as a testament to their friendship, (with Eddie impersonating Glen's Irish accent) "If you told me you'd murdered a man, I'd go grab me shovel" was also awesome. 

All in all, Saturday was an awesome day with great music, (mostly) great people, and great vibes!
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK.
    09 -Spectrum II,III,IV.
    10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo)
    12- Made in America Festival
    13- Oakland
    14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    17- eV Ohana
    18- Seattle I, II
    21- SHN
    22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden 

• I did see some microphones in the audience. If possible, send me an audio link? 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    The venue was absolutely incredible - beautiful beach, only two stages (small compared to the other festivals I've been to - Outside Lands, Austin City Limits, Made In America, etc. ) and absolutely perfect weather. Eddie summed up well during his set what I had been feeling all day - with all of the acknowledgment that times are bad these days, and frequent hypersensitivity we have to the bad vs. the good in life, it is important to ask yourself - "If this isn't nice, then what is?". And this certainly was an incredibly nice day!

However, as others have alluded to, the crowd was filled with many overly drunken, middle aged men pontificating as if they discovered Pearl Jam and telling their significant others the history of the band and Eddie as they saw it in their mind. These and other belligerent types were also were yelling out every time Eddie stopped to address the crowd, booing ideologies ignorantly, and talking during the other artists' sets. It really is a shame that the more festivals I attend, the more these types of attendees, along with the ever present phone & camera recorders, continue to flood their grounds and take away from what should be a wholly beautiful shared experience, devoid of the uneducated hatred and narcissistic technology usage flooding our society these days. Definitely didn't ruin the day but certainly detracted from the day's enjoyability.

Ah, yes, LOL, there was a certain amount of PJ mansplaining happening; it was amusing, but I took it as a manifestation of the guys' excitement to see Ed. I guess I saw it as more geeky than obnoxious. The "shut up and play" guys were just rude. Also, I've never seen so many "It doesn't get Eddie Vedder than this" shirts in one place. ;-)

I'm not sure what to think of the talking during sets thing. We were sitting on the bleachers for Glen's set, and half a dozen women sat down directly behind us and talked and laughed and paid no attention to the music. They were so loud it was hard to hear Glen at times. So, on one hand, it was an outdoor festival, people are hanging out and enjoying the day, music is more of a backgorund thing for them, perhaps? On the other hand, if they were not interested in the music, they could have chosen to sit on the grass by the food vendors or walked around for a while. I don't know....
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    DoDaFoo said:
    Ohana Fest was amazing. The highlight of the sets for me was probably Eddie coming out during Glen's set for "Present Tense". Ray's set wasn't bad by any means, but killed the crowd. We were pretty close and by the half way point he'd lost everyone around us. Glen should have played right before Eddie. Overall, we had a blast. A lot of great music in a pretty small venue.

Honestly, I took a nap during his set. I'm not familiar with his music -- I didn't dislike it, but at that point in the evening I needed something with more energy. I wish Glen had played later in the day, maybe in that slot; he always brings a lot of energy and passion.

We arrived in time to see Conner Youngblood's set. I'm showing my age when I say it, but, to channel my grandmother, what a charming young man he is. I liked his music enough to take a closer look/ listen at it online.

I thought it was very rude that someone yelled out Eddie during Ray's performance. When you purchase a ticket, You purchase it for the experience. I had not seen any of the other performers before. Just because I wasn't familiar with their music, Made it more enlightening. Broaden your horizons.
  • chiefnjkchiefnjk Posts: 301
    edited September 2017
    On the whole, Ohana was great and I would encourage people to check out this festival in the future. Especially loved performances by Fiona, Social D, Glen and Liam. My girlfriend loved the Pixies set the best. Seeing Ed play with Glen and Liam, as well as Simon, was a lot of fun. And while I've never gotten into Ray LaMontagne, I will say I was appalled by some of the behavior in the audience during his set (e.g. people talking loudly/not paying attention, yelling out "Eddie," one person yelling out "play something I give a shit about!"). We did not attend the fest on Sunday.

Ed's performance itself was amazing (loved the organ songs at the outset), but as others have mentioned, was kind of marred by some of the overly served patrons either yelling things out or leaving. Saturday was much more crowded than Friday (probably both because of Ed and also because it was Saturday and not a work day for most) and given how tight people were standing together, it was frustrating to see so many people constantly coming and going during Ed's set. It was an announced 90 minute set in a beautiful and intimate venue, but even with the limited time people still felt the need to constantly push through the crowd to make their way out (to presumably get alcohol, but I'm not sure). So that took away a bit from the chill vibe of Ed's set.

Given that this is Ed's festival, and he has now played the first two editions, does anyone else see this fest as an opportunity for a PJ show next year or in the future? Of course, it may lend itself better to a 10c only type of PJ show given it's a small fest. Probably not, but still fun to think about.
    Post edited by chiefnjk on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    chiefnjk said:
    On the whole, Ohana was great and I would encourage people to check out this festival in the future. Especially loved performances by Fiona, Social D, Glen and Liam. My girlfriend loved the Pixies set the best. Seeing Ed play with Glen and Liam, as well as Simon, was a lot of fun. And while I've never gotten into Ray LaMontagne, I will say I was appalled by some of the behavior in the audience during his set (e.g. people talking loudly/not paying attention, yelling out "Eddie," one person yelling out "play something I give a shit about!"). We did not attend the fest on Sunday.

Ed's performance itself was amazing (loved the organ songs at the outset), but as others have mentioned, was kind of marred by some of the overly served patrons either yelling things out or leaving. Saturday was much more crowded than Friday (probably both because of Ed and also because it was Saturday and not a work day for most) and given how tight people were standing together, it was frustrating to see so many people constantly coming and going during Ed's set. It was an announced 90 minute set in a beautiful and intimate venue, but even with the limited time people still felt the need to constantly push through the crowd to make their way out (to presumably get alcohol, but I'm not sure). So that took away a bit from the chill vibe of Ed's set.

Given that this is Ed's festival, and he has now played the first two editions, does anyone else see this fest as an opportunity for a PJ show next year or in the future? Of course, it may lend itself better to a 10c only type of PJ show given it's a small fest. Probably not, but still fun to think about.
    Not with that curfew unless they started a lot earlier. 
  • Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,488
    PJNB said:
    chiefnjk said:

Way too small for a PJ show I would think. Then again anyone go to both Telluride and Ohana? They did seem similar in size. 
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    PJNB said:
    chiefnjk said:

Way too small for a PJ show I would think. Then again anyone go to both Telluride and Ohana? They did seem similar in size. 
    I was at both festivals the last two years and I agree, very similar capacity.
  • marcPJfan said:
    Wow!  Great Pics.  Thanks so much for sharing.  My wife and I went to the show on Saturday and because we sat right behind a couple that brought their two kids, we felt slightly guilty for leaving ours behind!   Saturday was an all around perfect day.  The weather was amazing and spending a day listening to live music with the ocean in the background is not a bad way to spend a weekend.  I was blown away by how courteous everyone was -- but then again we decided putting down a blanket near the back of the grassy area was good enough seating -- didn't have to fight for a spot up close.  I didn't attend last year but decided after this year that Ohana will be an annual get-away-from the first month of school trip for me.  Excellent day.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • chitownp76chitownp76 Posts: 1,430
    marcPJfan said:
    Great pics
    2014: Moline, IL
    2015: EV Solo (Metro Chicago)
    2016: Philadelphia PA 1, Philadelphia PA 2, New York City NY- MSG 1, EV Solo (Metro Chicago), Boston MA Fenway 1, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: EV Ohana Fest (Dana Point, CA), EV/Pete Townshend Quadrophenia Rosemont, IL
    2018: Seattle WA 1, Seattle WA 2, Missoula MT, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, Boston MA Fenway 1, Boston MA Fenway 2
    2019: EV Tempe, AZ
    2020: PPD
    2022: EV & Earthlings Chicago 1 & 2, Phoenix AZ, Camden NJ, Nashville TN, St. Louis MO
    2023: EV Tempe, AZ, St Paul, MN 2, Chicago 1 & 2
    2024: Noblesville, IN, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2