RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Howard Stern is playing the Superunknown concert from NYC tomorrow as well as the interviews he did with Chris which I believe there were only 2, from 2007 & 2011.  Stern obviously had some really nice things to say about Chris on Monday.  They were great interviews as Howard usually does though I'm uncertain if I'm ready.  https://www.howardstern.com/show/2017/5/22/howard-remembers-chris-cornell-and-his-most-memorable-stern-show-performances/
  • groovyfgroovyf Posts: 173
    edited May 2017
    I wrote the following piece for Red Mosquito and wanted to share it here as well.

Like most (white) American men of a certain age, grunge was my formative musical experience, and the music resonated with incredible power. Even my lesser lights in the big 6 grunge bands (I always included STP and the Pumpkins alongside the Seattle groups-it feels right spiritually, if not geographically) were still tremendous talents, and it seemed impossible that this much amazing music could come out of one brief moment in time (one I assumed would extend on into forever). 1991-1996 saw Ten, Nevermind, Gish, Badmotorfinger, Core, Dirt, Vs, Siamese Dream, In Utero, Jar of Flies, Vitalogy, Purple, Mellon Collie…, No Code, Tiny Music…, Alice in Chains, Down on the Upside. 6 bands. 5 years. 17 classic albums. Four genre-defining singers coming out of the same god damned town.

You've nailed all the stuff I listened to at that time! (still do, come to think of it)
    Post edited by groovyf on
    :: Caesaria - Israel 1995, Wembley 1996, Manchester 2000, Leeds 2006, Manchester 2009, Manchester 2012, Manchester 2012 (EV), Leeds 2014, London 2018 ::
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Noload said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Daily Mail credibility = ZERO. Worse than TMZ. 
    I would hesitate to start spreading this stuff until multiple confirmatory articles have been released. 
    TMZ is reporting it too - Daily Mail simply picked it up from them. And actually, TMZ is very rarely wrong (and if they are, they retract/correct. Whatever other issues people have with them, they are actually very careful about accuracy. There is no actual reason to assume TMZ is reporting garbage, aside from the fact that they focus on celebrity news). Anyway, yeah, they're just citing a source close to the investigation, so there is still some wait and see about it, as with all breaking stories. In any case, the truth is the truth. The truth is not offensive and it does not set out to hurt anybody. The truth will set you free, or so they say.
    I agree.  For me IF this turns out to be verified, doesnt change the sadness of it for all involved but as humans its our nature to look till things make sense.  The original facts didnt make sense.  Again, a terrible loss for his family.
    Exactly....I think most of us read through the lines anyway.  It really doesn't make sense unless a setback was involved.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    Flutter girl on the Singles bonus disc is awesome. Thanks Chris for one more great song 
  • vzouzalvzouzal Posts: 202
    i cant recall ever seeing so much grey when it comes to the Porch and posts. I for one can admit to feeling anger and sadness and apologize if I offended anyone with my posts which have been taken down.
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203
    Grief comes in various forms. Not all forms people are comfortable with,or can even understand what's behind the thought process. Everyone is dealing with this tradgedy their own way. Whatever way that might be,let's respect that individuals process.
  • Fixer13Fixer13 Posts: 192
    I've been wanting to post my thoughts for a while but find it hard to put into words.  My first memory of Chris' music goes back to Temple of the Dog, back when I was in college.  That album just blew the doors off my music collection back then.  I also remember getting into Soundgarden as they released album after album over the years.  Despite how much I liked/listed to SG, I didn't get to see them live until 2013 at a show in Boston.  He was so talented and gave the world so much over the years.  It's sad that he is gone and feels a little different listening to his music now...sort of like looking at a photo of lost family or friend.  Despite the loss that I, and may fans feel, I know it cannot come close to the loss his family and close friends are feeling. I wish them the best in the coming days/months and just want to thank Chris for everything he gave and shared.   
    "How do afford your rock 'n roll lifestyle?"- Cake
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    Chris, thanks for so much music.

To all his friends and family, in the off chance they should see this, my condolences, and understand that his music meant so much to so many.

To the Pearl Jam family, including the band, the crew, the 10C, and all the fans....hug each other and take care of each other. Nobody wants another story like this. Reach out if you need help, reach out if you think someone else does.

Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810

My apologies - I was driving when I took this video. Not sure I can post the video, haven't tried before. I then realized I was blaring Deep - had just listened to HTI Third Man Record version - sing that song to my son every night he can't sleep. So I took a snap shot of the bridge from the video. 

I drive under this bridge twice a day every day I go to work or south of Flint. I always look at it wondering if there's any relation. I always saluted that sign in a way. Has new meaning now.

I once before did pull over and take a pic, then tweeted it to Chris a long time ago. After a while I did feel silly and deleted it, wondering if he thought, "yikes another one" ha.

CC is not equivalent to the attachment I have to PJ. But his sudden tragedy - leaves me heartbroken for those suffering and miserable as i dont need another reason to think of my cousin I lost (July is 1 year). He was involved in a hit and run accident and I can't stop thinking about him and his kids and I cry a lot mostly because I try to hurry up and dry up the tears.

Makes me think. 

I think about CC. That room. Being alone. Loops.

Makes me think.

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    I listened to Light Years today and thought of Chris. I saw Chris solo every tour since 1999 in Amsterdam (9 times) and Soundgarden 2 times. Although I didn't know him, it feels like I lost a loved one and there is a huge loss of a creative energy in the world.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I listened to Light Years today and thought of Chris. I saw Chris solo every tour since 1999 in Amsterdam (9 times) and Soundgarden 2 times. Although I didn't know him, it feels like I lost a loved one and there is a huge loss of a creative energy in the world.
    I've seen him solo, Audioslave, and Soundgarden so many times as well.  I first saw SG way back August 19, 1990 here at the Trocadero here in Philly, they were opening for Danzig which is why I was primarily at the show for.  I didn't know much about them however they blew me and Danzig away.  I even think Glenn was a bit pissed at the time.  I have been such a huge fan of everything they did and Chris's voice ever since that amazing performance.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    marcos said:
    Howard Stern is playing the Superunknown concert from NYC tomorrow as well as the interviews he did with Chris which I believe there were only 2, from 2007 & 2011.  Stern obviously had some really nice things to say about Chris on Monday.  They were great interviews as Howard usually does though I'm uncertain if I'm ready.  https://www.howardstern.com/show/2017/5/22/howard-remembers-chris-cornell-and-his-most-memorable-stern-show-performances/
    2 interviews in the studio and one "phone in" I heard Stern and Robin say.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    Fixer13 said:
    I've been wanting to post my thoughts for a while but find it hard to put into words.  My first memory of Chris' music goes back to Temple of the Dog, back when I was in college.  That album just blew the doors off my music collection back then.  I also remember getting into Soundgarden as they released album after album over the years.  Despite how much I liked/listed to SG, I didn't get to see them live until 2013 at a show in Boston.  He was so talented and gave the world so much over the years.  It's sad that he is gone and feels a little different listening to his music now...sort of like looking at a photo of lost family or friend.  Despite the loss that I, and may fans feel, I know it cannot come close to the loss his family and close friends are feeling. I wish them the best in the coming days/months and just want to thank Chris for everything he gave and shared.   

Was that the Orpheum show they played on the night of Pats / Ravens AFCCG? 

If so, that was a great show, and my first SG concert too. I took some pretty nice pictures that night, i would be happy to share if you're interested; shoot me a PM. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    The internet can be a horrible place. Social media is even worse. 
    It's better not to read most of it. 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    I am worried about Ed - he must feel so lonely. Being the only singer left...it must feel overwhelming. I hope he has people around him that love him.
    the media are the only ones that think Ed is the only one left. he has loads of contemporaries, peers, and friends in the business, he is not limited to the "big four". 
    Exactly. Why would he feel alone? He has plenty of musician and non-musician friends. Thank god he stays out of the media as much as he can. It's the only way to live a real life.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    It was a rainy day yesterday so I tossed on the Audioslave debut album, which I had never listened to in entirety. As a teen, I was never really into Chris' slow, melodic vocals and songs. But on that rainy day I realized it was perfect for the mood. Thanks for the music Chris. Say hello to heaven.
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Listening to Superunknown at the moment - maybe the album of the 90s for me. Been so upset for the last week since the news broke.Thoughts and love to everyone out there affected by this. Stay strong everyone.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Is anyone else heading over to the Hollywood Cemetery this afternoon for the public viewing?
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • failedpersephonefailedpersephone Posts: 3,424
    PSUS2H said:
    Is anyone else heading over to the Hollywood Cemetery this afternoon for the public viewing?
    I don't think I want to be involved in that circus. It's the  Karayiannis show.  Im going to listen to Chris Cornell (as I have for the past week and change) and talk about his musical legacy. 
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    We may venture over the Hollywood Forever sometime this weekend.   There is a very cool Johhny Ramone statue to check out there.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PSUS2H said:
    I don't think I want to be involved in that circus. It's the  Karayiannis show.  Im going to listen to Chris Cornell (as I have for the past week and change) and talk about his musical legacy. 
    Bless you for this (as I am now listening to "Be Yourself" live - holy fuck, he was a beautiful soul).  The cemetery is a few miles from us from here in W. Hollywood, but...I choose to honor the man from here, from home, in his music and that energy he gave off.

Can't imagine what his wife and children are feeling today.  I hope, much love, from 'round this world.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Thinking about Chris Cornell right now.  PJ was my favorite 20 some years ago but Cornell was always the coolest of the frontmen. 

Would love for Eddie to open with Long Road tomorrow
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    Great way to stArt the show would be , Immortality, Come back, hold on, nothingman, release, man of the hour, without you, needle and the damage done, angel, sunshower, can't keep, the end
  • sk8drchiksk8drchik Posts: 213
    I saw this....sad day. :bawling: Jeff and Matt were there. I know Eddie is about to start his tour. I also saw Chris Cornell's mother in law not happy with Eddie for not showing up. I'm and sure he is dealing with this his own way and torn up about it all. I can't even imagine what he's going through. 
    Li
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Great interviews and music on 22. Wish my kids would let me listen.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    I was lucky to see them from many early Badmoterfinger club shows, to the show at The Vic.That  show was so special for me & very lucky to have been there. all the way to  the 2 nights at the tabernacle in Atlanta or the Fox show there just weeks ago, where Prince played his last show, then the monday before the Sondgarden show Colonel Bruce Hampton died on that stage.

I even told two of the crew to do a smudge stick on them, they kind of had a weird laugh.....+ being at all all the '92 Lollapalooza shows will  never be forgotten for so many ways, still can't listen to any Soundgarden & that might last a long time
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    What's 22?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Jeff went too?  I know Matt went. Wasnt sure if Ben Shepherd went.  Even if Ed is taking this badly i hope he has had some contact.  
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    What's 22?

Am guessing Sirius 22 - it's the PJ station.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf