Pearl Jam POP UP Questionnaire!

I was on the home site, When all of a sudden a pop up came on from Pearl Jam, asking me to take a simple questionnaire. It said that I could get 50.00 for my participation. Thinking that it was legit, I answered the questions,Then was shown several things I could get for free. Thinking that this must be wrong, I exited the poll. Now my computer is running really slow. "To The Admin." Should I be afraid that my information has been compromised?" "Is my membership / payment info safe?" 

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    donnaruhl said:
    I was on the home site, When all of a sudden a pop up came on from Pearl Jam, asking me to take a simple questionnaire. It said that I could get 50.00 for my participation. Thinking that it was legit, I answered the questions,Then was shown several things I could get for free. Thinking that this must be wrong, I exited the poll. Now my computer is running really slow. "To The Admin." Should I be afraid that my information has been compromised?" "Is my membership / payment info safe?" 

That pop-up likely had nothing to do with PJ or this site. Your browser was likely already infected with malware. You'll want to run some anti-malware and anti-virus apps to get cleaned up. Start with Malware Bytes. It is free, and effective: http://www.malwarebytes.com

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Yes, you should run whatever security software you use to check your computer. jeffbr gave good advice. Also time to change your passwords for safety. It wasn't from Pearl Jam.
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    jeffbr said:
    donnaruhl said:

That pop-up likely had nothing to do with PJ or this site. Your browser was likely already infected with malware. You'll want to run some anti-malware and anti-virus apps to get cleaned up. Start with Malware Bytes. It is free, and effective: http://www.malwarebytes.com

Yes!  <Malwarebytes is great.  Has saved me much grief (so has ignoring pop ups, not opening emails from unknown senders.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited May 2017
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    donnaruhl said:

Yes!  <Malwarebytes is great.  Has saved me much grief (so has ignoring pop ups, not opening emails from unknown senders.
    Agreed, Malwarebytes is the best free anti-malware software around. It's been recommended to me by several professional IT experts.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    donnaruhl said:

• donnaruhldonnaruhl Posts: 2,157
    I do have anti virus on my computer,And the techs want a pretty penny for repairs,and virus checks once or twice a month. I also checked out Malwarebites, and they want money also. I'll change my password here, LOL. And hope to hell I can remember it. :)

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    edited May 2017
    donnaruhl said:
    I do have anti virus on my computer,And the techs want a pretty penny for repairs,and virus checks once or twice a month. I also checked out Malwarebites, and they want money also. I'll change my password here, LOL. And hope to hell I can remember it. :)

Malwarebytes only wants money for the advanced version and they do, of course, keep trying to get you to upgrade. The free version works just fine, and there is no need to upgrade for your purposes. It is recommended to use this or something equivalent on top of your antivirus.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata