Options

Favorite Chris Cornell memory?

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    edited May 2017

Soundgarden- Lollapalooza 1996 New Orleans

Chris and Ben making fun of all the drunk chicks that were flashing their tits. "Mailman" was so fucking heavy that I could feel the air in my lungs moving with the beat.

Chris Cornell- Atlanta 1999

awesome solo show with the band Eleven backing Chris. got to hear Seasons and Sunshower. amazing even though we spent a hour after the show changing a blown tire and riding back 3 1/2 hours on a spare donut.

Audioslave- Lollapalooza 2003 Atlanta

not a fave of mine, but I remember Tom Morello having issues with his guitar. Chris breaks out his acoustic and plays a Syd Barrett cover.

Chris Cornell- Asheville 2011

My first time hearing my favorite TOTD song live- "call me a dog" and his wonderful cover of "Imagine". He made fun of a fan in a SG t-shirt that requested "Billy Jean" and "MIND RIOT" was fucking amazing.

Temple of the Dog- PJ20 2011  NIGHTS 1 & 2

I can't add anything that hasn't already been said. Night 2 we were on the 2nd row to see the historic reunion. I remember being so pissed off about people complaining on the message boards. YOU COMPLAINERs HAVE NO IDEA HOW AWESOME AND HISTORIC this was!!!!! go read up on your PJ history!!

Temple of the Dog- Philly 2016 NIGHT 1

I am a lucky one to see this most historic of shows. I never set down the whole show. you can see my ugly face rocking out on the front row of the balcony. one of the best times I have ever had at a concert. Met Chris, Mike and Stone outside after the show. got their autographs. Chris just waded out in the street with no security and was surrounded by the fans. so fucking cool to autograph everyone's poster.

Thanks to @Empty Glass for the heads up on the ticket presale.

Soundgarden- Tuscaloosa 2017

4 rows back in the pit right between Chris and Ben. Such a wonderful setlist. My friend drove 7 1/2 hours to met up with us and then turned around and drove back without any sleep. He is the biggest SG fan. We all remarked on how Chris was more talkative than usual and joking with the crowd. Chris said they had never been to Alabama before but they would definitely be coming back.........

just never saw this coming............

Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,784

saw SG at city gardens Trenton NJ back in late 80's--also caught them at the Ritz NYC.  it was in this order Faith No More & Soundgarden both supporting Voi Vod.  Sure some of you guys caught that tour. CC screamed his lungs out...I was like damn that dude has a unique way of singing. During one song, at city gardens, he climbed on the ceiling and slammed his Doc's into it. fiberglass and drop ceiling everywhere. never really followed them from there, but was in awe of the passion within that band.

Went to PJ twenty movie screening in Toronto. A few rows behind us Chris Cornell was sitting there. I had to go talk to him about that show, he said he remembered that and was kind enough to genuinely appreciate and listen to my story. I really did not want to bother him too long, but as I was retreating back to my seat he reached his hand out to me.  We shook hands and I went back to my seat, thrilled to have that moment in my mind.

Best to everyone

• Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 945
    Posted this on Facebook:

I saw Chris Cornell at the Royal Albert Hall last year. Half way through he was talking and mentioned what an honour it was to play for his musical hero. Then the spotlight went directly on me and i was surprised I had such an impact on his life. Then it turned out Jimmy Page was sitting in the seat directly behind me. That made more sense.

This is the first celebrity death that has hit me hard.

Hopefully with more and more social media these days it can give people an opportunity to express themselves maybe to strangers when they cant do it to those closest to them. If anything is on your mind, share it, dont bottle it up. Whether its loved ones or strangers, people care

RIP CC

• Options
    PJ20 Night 1: Buzz in the crowd around Alpine and in our section that Cornell had tweeted he was in Chicago and something to the effect, "now what?" I'll always remember the joy on the faces of the guys in the band and the roar the crowd let out when he came out. Dude could wear a hoodie and still look like the definition of what a rockstar should look like ... even though he acted nothing like a rockstar. On the shuttle bus ride home, woman in her 50s behind me keeps repeating, loudly for everyone to hear: "I loved what I was SEEING! I loved what I was SEEING! I mean, Chris CORNELL!!" 

PJ20 Night 2: Older couple, closer to my parents' ages than mine, sitting in the lawn next to us lose their shit when I tell them Cornell performed the night before. They had driven from Iowa. He had once lived in Seattle and said he'd delivered a pizza to the guys from Soundgarden once. "I doubt they remember me," he joked. They were thrilled, stood for the entire show with everyone else. 

Collingswood, NJ, 2013: Kicked myself for missing his last solo tour. I couldn't convince my wife to go on a work night. Found tickets on ticketmaster the night before, buy a single even though money was tight and figure I just need to do this. Then I sliced my leg open BAD when the groceries I was carrying inside busted through a bag and a glass bottle busted on my shit. Happens about two hours before I was gonna leave. Trip to the ER. Stitches. I prop my head up during stitches and ask, I can still drive three hours after your done, right? I could. He sang "Footsteps" ... laughed at someone for requesting "Hotel California" because it was cold and November. Joked how he let his kids pick where they wanted to live and they chose the Northeast, where it's cold. He singled out a young fan with a sign, saying it was nice his dad took him to shows since his dad never did anything like that. He rode out on a tricked out bike a childhood fan had made before the second half of the show. He apologized for his facial expressions in hitting the notes on one song, and joked he didn't have the Botox treatments that Jon Bon Jovi did since Jon's face doesn't even move anymore. (Some fans groaned as the guy from Philly next to me noted, "Does he realize he's in Jersey?") Some fan screamed out "Trouble," and Cornell looked at them and said, "The Cat Stevens 'Trouble'? Weird, but OK." And he played it, perfect. He sang a song accompanied by the vinyl pressing of a pianist (Natasha Schneider) who had died in 2008 from cancer. It was the only way he liked to sing it. Every song, even if he said he made ugly faces, looked effortless. And he explained why and how he mashed up U2's music for "One" with Metallica's lyrics from their song of the same name. I was a super fan for life at that point. Checking every tour, buying up albums.

York, PA 2015: Always struck by how much Eddie's solo sets shows reminded me of Cornell's and if Eddie made a decision to fashion them after Cornell's style. We got there early. Wife came with me. Usher walks by tells coworker Chris Cornell wants Faggee yogurt backstage, and he pronounces it like my 75-year-old father would butcher it. Think Chris introduced "Rusty Cage" as a cover tune or "Johnny Cash song" which cracked me up. His cellist was amazing. Someone from the crowd screamed out, "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE HERE!" And I couldn't either. I usually have to drive to Philly or DC for shows. He laughed and said something to the effect, "If you can get a job seeing, do it!" So odd, because I heard Eddie say almost the same thing at the Hampton, Va. concert a few months later. Then remarked how loud the room was, and how cool the venue. Wife and I drove home, and she was won over just like I had been two years later. We agreed to see him the next time his solo tour came around. 

May 17, 2017: Driving home from work listening to Cornell and regretting the fact I never heard him perform my favorite song, "Scar upon the sky" at one of his solo shows. But didn't worry too much about it, in the words of the guy sitting next to me at my first Cornell solo show, "He ALWAYS tours." Woke up the next day to my wife telling me the awful news, and shaken by how sad it made me feel when I had never met him or interacted with him personally. Such a great loss. So much pure joy everyone missed out on by not having him in this world anymore. 
    "I'm not the paper, I'm more like the fold ..."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    PJ20 Night 1: Buzz in the crowd around Alpine and in our section that Cornell had tweeted he was in Chicago and something to the effect, "now what?" I'll always remember the joy on the faces of the guys in the band and the roar the crowd let out when he came out. Dude could wear a hoodie and still look like the definition of what a rockstar should look like ... even though he acted nothing like a rockstar. On the shuttle bus ride home, woman in her 50s behind me keeps repeating, loudly for everyone to hear: "I loved what I was SEEING! I loved what I was SEEING! I mean, Chris CORNELL!!" 

PJ20 Night 2: Older couple, closer to my parents' ages than mine, sitting in the lawn next to us lose their shit when I tell them Cornell performed the night before. They had driven from Iowa. He had once lived in Seattle and said he'd delivered a pizza to the guys from Soundgarden once. "I doubt they remember me," he joked. They were thrilled, stood for the entire show with everyone else. 

Collingswood, NJ, 2013: Kicked myself for missing his last solo tour. I couldn't convince my wife to go on a work night. Found tickets on ticketmaster the night before, buy a single even though money was tight and figure I just need to do this. Then I sliced my leg open BAD when the groceries I was carrying inside busted through a bag and a glass bottle busted on my shit. Happens about two hours before I was gonna leave. Trip to the ER. Stitches. I prop my head up during stitches and ask, I can still drive three hours after your done, right? I could. He sang "Footsteps" ... laughed at someone for requesting "Hotel California" because it was cold and November. Joked how he let his kids pick where they wanted to live and they chose the Northeast, where it's cold. He singled out a young fan with a sign, saying it was nice his dad took him to shows since his dad never did anything like that. He rode out on a tricked out bike a childhood fan had made before the second half of the show. He apologized for his facial expressions in hitting the notes on one song, and joked he didn't have the Botox treatments that Jon Bon Jovi did since Jon's face doesn't even move anymore. (Some fans groaned as the guy from Philly next to me noted, "Does he realize he's in Jersey?") Some fan screamed out "Trouble," and Cornell looked at them and said, "The Cat Stevens 'Trouble'? Weird, but OK." And he played it, perfect. He sang a song accompanied by the vinyl pressing of a pianist (Natasha Schneider) who had died in 2008 from cancer. It was the only way he liked to sing it. Every song, even if he said he made ugly faces, looked effortless. And he explained why and how he mashed up U2's music for "One" with Metallica's lyrics from their song of the same name. I was a super fan for life at that point. Checking every tour, buying up albums.

York, PA 2015: Always struck by how much Eddie's solo sets shows reminded me of Cornell's and if Eddie made a decision to fashion them after Cornell's style. We got there early. Wife came with me. Usher walks by tells coworker Chris Cornell wants Faggee yogurt backstage, and he pronounces it like my 75-year-old father would butcher it. Think Chris introduced "Rusty Cage" as a cover tune or "Johnny Cash song" which cracked me up. His cellist was amazing. Someone from the crowd screamed out, "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU ARE HERE!" And I couldn't either. I usually have to drive to Philly or DC for shows. He laughed and said something to the effect, "If you can get a job seeing, do it!" So odd, because I heard Eddie say almost the same thing at the Hampton, Va. concert a few months later. Then remarked how loud the room was, and how cool the venue. Wife and I drove home, and she was won over just like I had been two years later. We agreed to see him the next time his solo tour came around. 

May 17, 2017: Driving home from work listening to Cornell and regretting the fact I never heard him perform my favorite song, "Scar upon the sky" at one of his solo shows. But didn't worry too much about it, in the words of the guy sitting next to me at my first Cornell solo show, "He ALWAYS tours." Woke up the next day to my wife telling me the awful news, and shaken by how sad it made me feel when I had never met him or interacted with him personally. Such a great loss. So much pure joy everyone missed out on by not having him in this world anymore. 
    love love love these memories. thanks for sharing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benbomb3benbomb3 Posts: 71
    In 2008 Chris was touring with Linkin Park on the Projekt Revlolution Tour.  I scored some tickets for the Alpine Valley stop and snuck my way into the meet and greet.  I shook his hand and asked 'when is the Temple of the Dog reunion?' to which he laughed and looked up at me and said 'probably never!'.  Little did I know that 3 years later, about 100 yards from where we were standing, that reunion would take place.  It was very surreal for me to see him walk out night 1 and remembering our interaction.

I was also fortunate to see him solo at the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee in 2011.  I have never had my jaw drop so many times during a performance.  His vocals were otherworldly.

Thanks for the music and the memories, Chris.  You will be sorely missed.
  • Options
    theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    Seeing them open for Guns N Roses at the Worcester Centrum in 1991. He had on cargo shorts, boots, no shirt, crazy long hair, and just BELTED out the tunes. They played my favorite BMF tune Drawing Flies, ended with Jesus Christ Pose which was ear splitting. A year later at Lolla 92 in Mansfield they covered Cop Killer. I missed seeing them numerous times over the years, kind of pissed about that now. 
    The latest news report quotes his wife, sounds like this was an accidental suicide, if that makes sense. So tragic for his wife and kids, and his friends. 
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • Options
    RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    edited May 2017
    goldrush said:
    I was lucky enough to see Chris solo at Sydney Opera house a few years ago as well. I can't put that show into words right now, it's just too emotional to think about.

Sorry if this turns into a bit of a ramble, it's taking a while to write this and I'm just trying to get words out. I saw Soundgarden at the Reading Festival in 95. I've posted about this show a few times over the years but I still say that it was one of the all-time greatest festival line ups for me. So many of my favourite bands at the time in one place. Soundgarden were the penultimate band on the Sunday night - they played after Mudhoney and Pavement, and right before Neil Young and Pearl Jam (the last of the Mirrorball shows)

There was a power failure during Pavement's set. Some of the band took to jousting with drumsticks to keep us/themselves entertained while we waited for SG and then NeilJam. To be honest, it wasn't the best SG show. I remember it starting with Searching With My Good Eye Closed, then everyone going fucking mental when "Let Me Drown" was followed by Spoonman so early in the set. After that it was kind of flat; there was little energy from the crowd after Spoonman and I think the band could feel that. It was strange, almost like they didn't want to be there at times. This was also the first (and I think only?) time they ever played Kristi live. Of course we didn't know that at the time (it was only years later when I got hold of a bootleg that I realised that the song nobody had heard before was a one off) but it was a bit of a set killer at a festival.

But... this still counts as one of my favourite Chris Cornell memories because he was part of one of the greatest weekends of my life and nothing can ever change that. 18 years old, just finished school, with a bunch of friends at a festival far from home. 5 or 6 tents in a circle around a camp fire, with 24 packs of beer for seats, drinking and singing until the sun came back up. We were completely free, at a turning point in our lives. Some of them went to university a month or so later, there are 1 or 2 that I haven't seen since because life just got in the way. Sadly one is no longer with us - a good friend that died alone in the same way that Chris just did.

There were so many great frontmen/women at that festival to soundtrack this time of our lives. Shannon Hoon, Neil Young, Beck, Billy Corgan, a fairly nervous Dave Grohl at an early Foos show, even Courtney Love at her messiest was entertaining. And Chris Cornell was like a fucking god to me in 95. Even though I was a bit disappointed in the set, it was still an experience I'll always have. It was hard to take your eyes off him; he just had something else, even amongst all of the other singers on that bill that weekend. 

Rest in peace Chris.

Lovely story man thanks for sharing. My word we get cheated with line ups nowadays, what a fricking line up wow.
    Post edited by RideTheWave93 on
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    I saw Soundgarden on the NIN co-tour 3 years ago (without Matt Cameron) and it was good but short. I hate co-headlining tours. Only time I got to see them.

Even better than that was when I saw Chris Cornell solo but with a band at the Pearl in Vegas November 2007. AWESOME SHOW. Shortly after Audioslave called it quits. He had this band of young guys with cool haircuts covering all the instruments and sounding like any era of his career. I joked that it was almost like a Grunge-Rock-Revue Show. He covered it all. Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog, and solo songs. It was awesome. 2 1/2 hours. The band was great and Chris sounded great. One of my favorite shows I've seen. 
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380

Had the extreme pleasure of seeing Chris solo at Merriam Theater in Philly 10/15/2015. My husband and I had never witnessed him perform before - we were utterly stunned, from note one. He was effortless and mesmerizing - we were literally on the edge of our seats- we just could not believe what we were hearing\seeing. Neither of us had followed his solo work and we were almost breathless over his abilities. Our point of reference was all of the 90s Soundgarden material and some Audioslave (which is fantastic and I love it, however seeing him solo was something all together different). We were blown away, just incredible (getting chills typing this now!). After the show, my husband and I were discussing the fluidity of his voice- the way it just poured out of him - such talent. We marveled over that and determined we would see him again as soon as we could.

That opportunity presented itself two months later, on 12/17/2015 at a local (Philly) radio station's charity holiday gala. We were in a room of maybe 300 people and about 15 feet away from the stage. Again- the same stunning vocal performance- I was so entranced in that small, intimate room, I nearly forgot anyone else was there but me, my husband and Chris- what an experience!!

Then finally at the Tower Theater on 11/5/2016 for the TOTD reunion tour- what an amazing night. To see the members of PJ (who I have loved since 1992) and Chris (who in my book, possessed an unparalleled voice) I was transported back to my youth - this was amazing...

Each of those experiences was unique and is utterly treasured. I think my most favorite was the very first time at Merriam Theater- we had no idea what we would experience that night, and I am so glad we didn't know how fantastic he really was before we took our seats- it was one of the great surprises of my adult life and I was thrilled to experience it without pretense. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning, just wowed to behold it all.

My husband and I feel so, so fortunate to have these experiences - Chris Cornell was such an amazingly talented man, and while I didn't know him personally, he radiated the warmth of a person who is comfortable in their own skin, someone who was a caring soul and a deep thinker. You could get the feeling after listening to him perform, that he was an old friend, someone treasured that you just don't get to enjoy the company of often enough. At least that's what it felt like to me.  

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    When he came out and did Stardog Champion.

Or when on his solo tour he came to the front row and picked me and my friend out and took a photo that he posted to his twitter of us!
  • Options
    RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    edited May 2017
    Apologies for this ramble but thought this is the only place that feels right if I were to say it. Thought I'd mention my trip to states last year, this was a show I'm so privileged to be a part of, it was truly awesome and something I'll never forget, the whole trip was a great memory. I travelled from UK to San Francisco for the Temple show (night 2). I remember finishing work the night I set off, I work for a music retailer, was supposed to go see the Australian Pink Floyd that evening, realised I had no time went straight to the airport for my 12 hour flight with a stop off in Amsterdam. Finally I landed in San Francisco for my first time on American soil fairly late the next night. I woke up that morning to disgruntled locals and the realisation hit when I noticed Donald Trump's face covering newspaper front pages, loitering the streets. He'd just won the presidency vote. Man what a moment. Days up to the show, were just full of protest walks and people demonstrating. Remember seeing a dude with the tour top on who went to night 1 and got talking before he almost spoilt the set list! When the show finally came it was awesome. I remember walking to the Bill Civic and talked to a couple who had gone to the previous night only to be turned away stating there tickets were valid for tonight's show! Inside talked to some great people from Canada here for there anniversary and a massive thanks to those two guys who got me drinks as well! After the show I had a flight straight to Seattle. It was strange seeing the city and visiting all the great old venues like Crocodile and Moore it was really surreal. Went to Easy Street to see the MLB mural and remember the re issues of TOTD and MLB were out recently and flocking everywhere, remember buying Off! from the BBC on vinyl, visiting the needle, being offered weed and mushrooms from locals among others, and then missed my flight back, for which I was supposed to see a PJ tribute band when I got back the next day!! Damn what a bummer! Anyway, I was so glad to have made that trip, something that'll live with me forever. Thanks for making that happen Chris.

Saw him solo twice most recently at Royal Albert Hall last year when jimmy page was there and Chris did Thank you. He really did give his all into the shows. What a guy. Thanks for the memories.
    Post edited by RideTheWave93 on
  • Options
    Smarter_Than_USmarter_Than_U Posts: 515
    edited May 2017

Some of my favorite memories of Chris:

* Hearing him sing Beth from backstage at the first NYC Armory show in 1994. Was so surprising and sweet.

* Seeing Audioslave in Philly at the Electric Factory; he seemed so healthy and it was great seeing him with a second wind career wise.

* Seeing Temple of the Dog show in Philly last year. We were lucky to get really close (3rd row) thanks to the 10C. I remember him looking at me and averting my eyes. He was so intense.

"Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,036
    I've seen Chris live once by himself and twice with Soundgarden.
    The last time was just a week ago and I thought that they put on a great performance.

It is hard to mention just one memory because both Pearl Jam and Soundgarden/Chris have been in my life for my entire adult life.
    This is such a horrible tragedy and there will forever be a little void in my heart.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I have all sorts of amazing memories of seeing him in various bands over the years, but the most fun one that still raises a smile was when he came nose to nose, forehead to forehead with me and screamed "muthafucker!!!" at an Audioslave show at Brixton Academy!

This was the second of three nights they played in Brixton.  I had tickets along with a big group of friends to see them on the opening night, and when we were waining in the queue, a couple of guys in front offered us tickets to the second night for face value.  My nextdoor neighbour and I thought fuck it since we had booked the day after off anyway.

Anyway, second show, the band were doing a cover of Killing In The Name, and towards the end Chris had jumped down to the barrier and was shaking hands with people.  He made his way along most of the barrier, then turned back towards the stage right before he got to us.  We all let out a bit of a moan, then suddenly he turned around walked straight up to me, and before I know it he was right in my face, then screamed the "muthafucker" part at the end of the song!  Totally surreal, yet funny moment.
  • Options
    NE18466NE18466 Chicago, IL Posts: 14
    edited May 2017
    Saw Chris Cornell in 1999 at the Riviera in Chicago.  He closed with Steel Rain.  He looped his vocals the same way Vedder would do for Arc.  I remember my buddy and I both thinking "This is the most amazing thing I've ever heard".  He walked off the stage to a chorus of Chris Cornells singing in damn near every octave surrounded by feedback.

I found a similar version from another show in 2000, but it doesn't do it justice because it's from the soundboard so you can't hear the PA as well.
    https://youtu.be/CCx9S2wGbWs  

Post edited by NE18466 on
    1995: Chicago 7/11 1998: East Troy 6/27 Chicago 6/29
    2000: Noblesville 8/18 East Troy 10/08 Chicago 10/9
    2001: Mountain View 10/20-21 2002: Chicago 9/23
    2003: St. Louis 4/22 Champaign 4/23 Chicago 6/18 Mountain View 10/25-26
    2004: Toledo 10/02 Grand Rapids 10/03 St. Louis 10/05
    2006: Chicago 5/16-17 Milwaukee 6/30
    2007: Chicago 8/5 2009: Chicago 8/23-24
    2010: St. Louis 5/4 2011: East Troy 9/3-4
    2013: Santiago 4/6 Chicago 7/19 Oklahoma City 11/16
    2014: St Louis 10/3 2016: New Orleans 4/23 Chicago 8/20-822 
    2017: New York 4/7 2018: Chicago 8/18-8/20
    2019: St. Louis 9/19 2023:  St. Paul 9/2 Chicago 9/5-9/7

EV: 6/13/1999, 8/21-22/2008, 6/28-29/2011, 7/1/2011, 5/14/2015, 6/17/2016, 2/9-10/2022
  • Options
    I got to see Soundgarden, Audioslave and both nights of PJ20 and I will never forget any of them. All blew my mind. My heart is broke. Love to his family and friends. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,872

Some of my favorite memories of Chris:

* Hearing him sing Beth from backstage at the first NYC Armory show in 1994. Was so surprising and sweet.

* Seeing Audioslave in Philly at the Electric Factory; he seemed so healthy and it was great seeing him with a second wind career wise.

* Seeing Temple of the Dog show in Philly last year. We were lucky to get really close (3rd row) thanks to the 10C. I remember him looking at me and averting my eyes. He was so intense.

which electric factory show?  the first one in '03 or the other one in '05?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    MRMACPHISTO75MRMACPHISTO75 Posts: 383
    Saw Soundgarden twice (92 supporting G n' R) and 2013. But my greatest memory is having front row tickets with my Dad for his solo show last year in Manchester. He sang "say hello to heaven" right in front of me!! an amazing night that I will never forget!
    4784495 - Thomas 9
  • Options
    MRMACPHISTO75MRMACPHISTO75 Posts: 383
    edited May 2017
    Not the best quality, but not too bad!
    Post edited by MRMACPHISTO75 on
    4784495 - Thomas 9
  • Options
    SR91748SR91748 Posts: 138
    Singing with his friends at the Mad Season/TOTD show at Benaroya. A very special night for all.
  • Options
    rattzeyrattzey Posts: 875
    Chris solo 2013 Calgary,my wife and I were front row dead center. He sang Thank you which was one of our wedding songs. He was one of our favourite artists and my wife is Greek so she always had that kinship.He knelt over my wife looked at her in the eyes and sang almost half the song right to my wife, I had always laughed and wanted to say thank you Chris for doing the legwork tonight...lol for those of you that are married you know what I'm talking about. He has always been an inspiration to me growing up and he will be truly missed, ahhhh crying writing this
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    Posted this on Facebook:

I saw Chris Cornell at the Royal Albert Hall last year. Half way through he was talking and mentioned what an honour it was to play for his musical hero. Then the spotlight went directly on me and i was surprised I had such an impact on his life. Then it turned out Jimmy Page was sitting in the seat directly behind me. That made more sense.

My favorite thing I have read in this very difficult time! Thanks
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    steved said:
    Posted this on Facebook:

My favorite thing I have read in this very difficult time! Thanks
    Agreed!  That story really put a smile on my face. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rattzeyrattzey Posts: 875
    So many more stories but this was the one
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
  • Options
    redm0squito22redm0squito22 Long Island, NY Posts: 7
    edited May 2017
    After reading all these posts, and seeing how Chris' spirit and voice touched so many as deeply as it has me, I feel a little better. Still though, such an empty feeling.  I read the Ativan stuff from today, and though like the rest of us, I know I'll never really know what was going on in his head, I'd like to believe this was a horrible accident and not the result of a deliberate plan he followed through on.  I guess it doesn't matter now though, because his spirit has moved on.  I am eternally grateful for what he has left behind though, a hauntingly beautiful voice and a seemingly endless supply of recordings of him, in any and everything he was a part of, whether Soundgarden, TOTD, Audioslave, solo, or wherever he lent his wonderful voice and talent.  I hope you've found peace, Chris, and like millions of others through your music you've left a permanent spot on my heart.  Rest in Peace.

I'm ashamed/saddened that I only saw Chris twice, as part of the TOTD reunion at the PJ20 shows. Bought my brother tickets to Soundgarden's show at Jones Beach on 8/1/14. My brother locked his keys in the car and I had to drive him out a spare set; he took someone else, I don't remember who but not important - at least not then, anyway.  Anyway, I remember hearing all or parts of Blow Up The Outside World, Fell on Black Days and SuperUnknown.  And wishing that I had gone to that show or just stayed in the parking lot for the rest of the show.  They sounded great, Chris' voice always, even from the outside the stadium and even further back from the parking lot. Missed the TOTD show last November at MSG, an equally large regret now.  Was dealing with a non life threatening medical condition that would've made it somewhat uncomfortable during the show, so when I struck out on the Ten Club raffle I didn't do what I normally would - find a ticket on the secondary market and go.  In hindsight now after losing him yesterday, I see I took for granted that there'd be future opportunities to see them, or him, in some capacity. 

If you've never heard his tribute cover of Nothing Compares 2 U, and I'm sure most if not all of you have, go check it out immediately.  A beautiful rendition that I loved when he released it, really shows off his incredible voice and range, and which has sadly taken on a deeper meaning with his untimely passing.  You could literally feel the emotion when Chris sang. Eddie has that same quality, one that you can't teach or duplicate.

"All the flowers that you planted mama, in your backyard, all died when you went away..."  Thank you so much, Chris, for the indelible mark your music, your voice, your soul has made on my life.  Prayers to your family, friends, loved ones and fans during this difficult time.  And thank you guys and Ten Club for giving me a place to share and unburden myself a bit. 
    Post edited by redm0squito22 on
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,431
    I will keep my memory short.

His solo show in Edmonton last summer was so good, but I loved how chill he was.  He would talk in between songs about what they meant, where they came from, then he made the mistake of taking a request right in the middle of the set.  After every song people would bark out requests, and he played them, except Cochise cause he said he didn't have a banjo.  It was a great night, I think he even brought a kid (to me) who was singing and dancing all night on stage at the end...
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 753
    - Seeing Soundgarden for the first time in July 1996, I was 15 years old. Chris played Black Hole Sun solo as the sun set over the Green Mountains. I'll never forget that. 

-In 2011 I was fortunate enough to sit front row for one of Chris's solo shows. At one point I kicked back and put my feet up on the barricade. It was like the rest of the crowd wasn't there and I was watching him play a show in my living room. Such a powerful night.

9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    My 3 times seeing Chris perform were twice at PJ20, and a Chicago solo show in 2013.

Hearing the crowd erupt, when EV introduced him, is something I'll never forget. I also never thought I'd see a Temple reunion. "Stardog Champion", and the 5 different Temple songs were otherworldly for me. 

I was excited to see Chris play solo, and I definitely wasn't disappointed. Lots of great tunes and stories. Someone requested "Spoonman", and Chris complied with a somewhat giggly version. Hard to pick favorite moments from that night, but I will say the "Blow Up The Outside World" closer was phenomenal. He looped his voice, guitars, and effects to make a really magnificent racket. I remember he smiled broadly while waving goodnight, and walking off the stage. It's little things that make these memories so vibrant.

I also remember thinking I was anxious to see him perform again. Unfortunately, it never happened. Although I've been sad for the past 48 hours, I also feel very glad and lucky. Thank you, Chris.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,979
    I think my favorite moment was Audioslave in 2005. Foo FIghters and Audioslave played back to back at Roskilde and some random girl kissed me.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"