Options

Soundgarden Tour

Comments

• Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,807
    edited May 2017
    AO253126 said:
    Thanks for everyone's feedback on the shows. I absolutely loved Badmotorfinger and Down On The Upside when they were initially released, but I was never able to get to see them, so this will be my first time. I'm definitely looking forward to it, but I've lowered my expectations based on what I'm hearing here.

The poster looks cool, and while I wish they had city-specific merch, it makes sense why they don't. For those that have already been to a show, is it safe to assume that the "merch scene" is not nearly as crazy as it is for PJ? It'd be nice to be able to walk in to a show
    Good move lowering your expectations. When I saw them back in the day it was hit or miss, mostly miss. I was 1 for 4 getting a decent sounding show. But saw them in 2014 and they sounded great. Better than 15 years ago
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,958
    I've seen them three times and they tend to have sound issues at every show...not sure why.  I think Ben has kicked over his amp every show I have seen.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2017
    My gf saw them a few years ago at the tower in philly... says it was the loudest and worst sounding show she has ever seen
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    They've omitted JCP from their recent setlists. I wonder why?
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    The sound was good in the balcony of The Fox. 
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    They were fantastic last night at Carolina Rebellion. Blow Up The Outside World and Incessant Mace were the highlights for me. 
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 said:
    They were fantastic last night at Carolina Rebellion. Blow Up The Outside World and Incessant Mace were the highlights for me. 
    Nice!

Don't let us negative Nellies rain on your parade.

The Day I Tried to Live stood out to me in my 'good' show. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    eyecanwalkeyecanwalk Posts: 707
    crazy thing about the fox in Atl is 2 nights before the SG show Col. Bruce Hampton died on stage & the last show prince did was at the fox so it would have been pretty weird to play on a stage where someone just died at. glad they made it to to the next show, to break the  curse.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    The show tonight in Tuscaloosa was killer! Loved the venue and the band was tight and sounded great. 
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    ultrapigultrapig South Dakota Posts: 143
    They sounded awesome in Kansas City tonight! Couldn't have asked for nicer weather either. 
  • Options
    BrainOfJHABrainOfJHA KC Posts: 695
    ultrapig said:
    They sounded awesome in Kansas City tonight! Couldn't have asked for nicer weather either. 
    Agreed! Great show and Chris was definitely on last night!!
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    I thoroughly enjoyed their May 7 show in Memphis.
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005
    crazy thing about the fox in Atl is 2 nights before the SG show Col. Bruce Hampton died on stage & the last show prince did was at the fox so it would have been pretty weird to play on a stage where someone just died at. glad they made it to to the next show, to break the  curse.
    RIP Col. Bruce Hampton
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    jeff2040jeff2040 Des Moines, IA Posts: 1,588
    edited May 2017
    rummy said:
    They've omitted JCP from their recent setlists. I wonder why?
    They played it last Friday which was a highlight for me. It was a greatest hits set but still very entertaining!
    Post edited by jeff2040 on
    Sometimes you find yourself
    Having to put all your faith
    In no faith
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    This may not be a popular post, but I saw them in WI on Saturday and Chris Cornell was awful! Forgotten lyrics and missed cues, and the words he did sing on time were slow and out of tune. Ever see Drunk Trump on Kimmel? Reminded me of that.

Tons of people were leaving while they were playing, some as early as the second song.

I saw some videos the next night from Kansas City and he sounded a lot better, so maybe just an off night? If it wasn't a festival I would've been pissed. 
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    This may not be a popular post, but I saw them in WI on Saturday and Chris Cornell was awful! Forgotten lyrics and missed cues, and the words he did sing on time were slow and out of tune. Ever see Drunk Trump on Kimmel? Reminded me of that.

Tons of people were leaving while they were playing, some as early as the second song.

I saw some videos the next night from Kansas City and he sounded a lot better, so maybe just an off night? If it wasn't a festival I would've been pissed. 

He ripped it up in B'ham. was totally on.  even stood there for 5 minutes after Slaves and Bulldozers letting his guitar feedback. also he was really interacting with the crowd. sorry you got a less than stellar performance.

when I saw him with Audioslave a while ago, it was a pretty sorry performance.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218

I was at the same show and had a great time! First time seeing Soundgarden, so can't really say how Chris did compared to normal and I didn't notice the words/cues he missed either. Did notice lots of people leaving, but I figured that was because of the change from Godsmack to Soundgarden... a bit of a different following I'd say..
  • Options
    The people had 30 minutes between Godsmack and Soundgarden to leave, but they were leaving during Soundgarden, which I found weird.

I am glad that you had a good time though! :) I've seen him a few times, the latest during the Higher Truth tour and he was amazing. I think Bush stole day 1 running through the pit and up the lawn. Crazy Gavin...
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    Sometimes people hang out to see if the next band is any good.   So they hang around, listen to a few songs and leave if it's not something they like.

I've seen this phenomenon twice:

1)  Groundwork 2001 (Seattle) - It was a charity concert.   Pearl Jam/REM were the headliners.   Apparently Pearl Jam had too much respect to play after REM, so REM closed it out.    Pearl Jam kicked serious ass for 50 minute and the crowd all vibed at once "that's it?".   1/3rd of crowd left before REM started playing.   Once REM start playing, another 1/3rd left in droves.   By the time they hit the end of there set the arena was only a 1/3rd full.  I've never seen anything like it.

2)  Counting Crows/Rob Thomas - Chicago - 2 days after Wrigley.   I've never seen the Counting Crows before and I love the first two albums.  They were playing in Chicago while I was still in town after PJ.   Rob Thomas was the opener.    Same thing as above.   Some die hard Rob Thomas fan's left between the sets, but once the Counting Crows were a few songs in, alot of people left.  I don't blame them.   It wasn't a very good show.  It might actually be the worse show I've ever seen, but I went to see Counting Crows, so I stuck it out for the whole 90 minute set.   Not to mention a 90 minute counting crows set feels 10x longer than a 3 hour PJ set.   It was so bad.   My buddy and I make fun of it all the time now.   Definiately a studio band.  Awful live :(
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,132
    Saw them at the ATL show at the Fox as well.  I thought the sound was incredible.  Cornell's vocals were not overshadowed by the rest of the instruments and I thought everybody else sounded great!  Would have liked a few more songs on the set list (Tabernacle show was up to 28!), but otherwise a solid show with 5 pre-Badmotorfinger songs.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,032
    Detroit tonight, can't wait!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options

http://www.al.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/05/soundgarden_to_crowd_during_fi.html

great review with pictures.    Chris was in a great mood.  RIP Mr. Cornell

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    pearljamdude420pearljamdude420 Posts: 1,380
    people at the show last night saw the last show ever not knowing it :(
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,032
    Yes and it hurts, big time!!!! I'm still in shock!  The show was awesome.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    Yes and it hurts, big time!!!! I'm still in shock!  The show was awesome.
    +1
    Show ended at about 11:15 pm. Reports say the 911 call was around midnight. I just can't wrap my head around the fact that as I was driving home, talking to my friend about the awesome show we had just witnessed, Chris' life was ending.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Yikes 
  • Options
    Here is the Minneapolis show from the Higher Truth tour that I taped:

https://we.tl/iVswuBZmRe

Also, did anyone pick up an extra poster this tour? They weren't selling them on Saturday.
  • Options
    Here is the Minneapolis show from the Higher Truth tour that I taped:

https://we.tl/iVswuBZmRe

Also, did anyone pick up an extra poster this tour? They weren't selling them on Saturday.

I have an extra tour shirt size L- the one with the Monkeys

I will check to see if my gf bought an extra poster.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I also bought the monkey shirt. They had 5 or so different designs I think? But no poster. Thanks for checking! 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Oh my god. :fearful:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata