espn, you suck

Comments

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    I turned away from ESPN after multiple summers of them camping out on Brett Favre’s lawn for the annual ‘un-retirement’ watch. I had never seen such ball washing of a professional athlete before that, and it was embarrassing. I stopped watching ESPN from that point on.

Based on what I saw written about LeBron’s ‘decision’ I think I made the right call several years ago.

& also, the NHL playoffs are the best tournament in professional sports, hands down.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    ESPN just hasnt been able to adapt to formidable competition out there in Fox, CBS, and Comcast Sports Networks. Also, factor in that MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL have their own high quality networks as well as mobile apps and streaming. Add in NCAA Power Conferences to that too. ESPN used to be the 1-stop place to watch all the highlights in loop, Baseball Tonight, NHL 2Nite, NFL Gameday, NFL Primetime, etc. ESPN tried to adapt by getting 'trendier', throwing up all the overlays of topics and such, focusing on superstars and drama... but it doesnt really captivate this day and age.

They still are unmatched in their presentation of Live Sports though. Those are getting chipped away from them too as the other Networks get larger.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Any sports fan that watches this channel for anything other than live sports and the 30 for 30's I find odd.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited April 2017
    I keep seeing people talk about how great the live sports on ESPN are the best and so much better than other channels, but I don't understand what the hell theyre talking about. I have to wonder what low rate half assed sports channels they're watching. Their broadcasts have the same type of douche personalities and other bullshit that bogs down their other programming. Granted, other channels have some dumbasses, but virtually entire crews blow ass with one bright spot and other channels the tolerable/douche ratio is opposite.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    College Football and MLB in particular. I'm not an NBA fan, but in the blue moon that I tune in, it is done very well.

NHL on NBC for example has always been a circus, and their in-studio panel is embarrassing (although it seems to have finally improved this year).
    JK_Livin said:

Any sports fan that watches this channel for anything other than live sports and the 30 for 30's I find odd.

+1
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    JK_Livin said:

agree 100%. the 30 for 30s are great though. the one on Calipari was really good. Cool to see the old UMass clips. those were fun teams to watch. Lou Roe and Will Herndon were my favorite A10 opponents ever.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416

I turned away from ESPN after multiple summers of them camping out on Brett Favre’s lawn for the annual ‘un-retirement’ watch. I had never seen such ball washing of a professional athlete before that, and it was embarrassing. I stopped watching ESPN from that point on.

Based on what I saw written about LeBron’s ‘decision’ I think I made the right call several years ago.

& also, the NHL playoffs are the best tournament in professional sports, hands down.

THANK YOU!!! The Annual Favre-A-Thons were what did me in, as well! As soon as I saw a "Favre" ticker at the bottom of the screen I was like, fuck it, I'm out.
    edited April 2017
    DewieCox said:

I keep seeing people talk about how great the live sports on ESPN are the best and so much better than other channels, but I don't understand what the hell theyre talking about. I have to wonder what low rate half assed sports channels they're watching. Their broadcasts have the same type of douche personalities and other bullshit that bogs down their other programming. Granted, other channels have some dumbasses, but virtually entire crews blow ass with one bright spot and other channels the tolerable/douche ratio is opposite.

Agreed. Unless Sean McDonough is calling a game, their live sports presentations are no better (often a lot worse) than anyone else.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    JK_Livin said:

I'll add College Gameday to that list. That's the only "studio" type of show I can handle on ESPN.
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

JK_Livin said:

I'll add College Gameday to that list. That's the only "studio" type of show I can handle on ESPN.
    i can't even watch Gameday anymore. 3 hours of BS and stories on what Saban had for breakfast. Sam Ponder is no longer on it too so definitely no reason to watch it anymore.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • DewieCox said:

Good news that they're cutting people, but bad news with some of the names. The firing of Trent Dilfer is the most I've enjoyed ESPN in years.

Danny Kannell for me.
    I'm through with screaming
  • JK_Livin said:

That's all I watch it for these days. I don't even watch College Football Gameday any more because it just got so ridiculous.
  • KC138045 said:

JK_Livin said:

i can't even watch Gameday anymore. 3 hours of BS and stories on what Saban had for breakfast. Sam Ponder is no longer on it too so definitely no reason to watch it anymore.
    They lost me when they had Katy Perry on as guest picker.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    I remember a time when sports center was nothing more than a highlights show. Those were the days. Now its a bunch of bozos talking and fake yelling at each other to stir up some stupid controversy that will net them higher ratings. Why do people like that stuff?

And it's not just espn. Fs1 obviously hired that dope skip bayless and I think they cancelled their highlights show all together, if I'm not mistaken.

Even the local comcast sports net is now doing mostly talk/yelling shows instead of highlights. Their highlight show isn't even a half hour anymore. The trimmed from an hour to half hour to now just 15 fucking minutes. It's so weird tuning in at around 10 past the hour and it's already almost over.
    chinese-happy.jpg

I remember a time when sports center was nothing more than a highlights show. Those were the days. Now its a bunch of bozos talking and fake yelling at each other to stir up some stupid controversy that will net them higher ratings. Why do people like that stuff?

And it's not just espn. Fs1 obviously hired that dope skip bayless and I think they cancelled their highlights show all together, if I'm not mistaken.

Even the local comcast sports net is now doing mostly talk/yelling shows instead of highlights. Their highlight show isn't even a half hour anymore. The trimmed from an hour to half hour to now just 15 fucking minutes. It's so weird tuning in at around 10 past the hour and it's already almost over.

For the most part, the Leagues' own networks seem to have the best/straightest content
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    MayDay10 said:

For the most part, the Leagues' own networks seem to have the best/straightest content
    Oh I know.....kinda just miss where you can get them all in one place without putting up with a buncha nonsense.
    chinese-happy.jpg

I don't understand it either. It's like the Kardashians & Honey Boo Boo have infected the sports world.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    JK_Livin said:

I used to watch it for Baseball Tonight...but don't watch that anymore because Karl Ravech puts me to sleep.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

CSN Chicago is doing the same thing...it's so bad. I can't believe people watch that nonsense on any channel.
    I will say that I highly enjoy many of the 30 for 30 films. The one on Vlade Divac & Drazen Petrovic might be my favorite basketball movie ever. My god that Yugoslavian team was incredible!!
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    JK_Livin said:

I do enjoy PTI and Around the Horn... As long as Pablo isn't on them...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

I will say that I highly enjoy many of the 30 for 30 films. The one on Vlade Divac & Drazen Petrovic might be my favorite basketball movie ever. My god that Yugoslavian team was incredible!!

that was an awesome one but sad as well. that was and would have been the best non-US team of all time. they were stacked.

JK_Livin said:

I used to love PTI back in the day. I'll still watch it occasionally, but feels like Wilbon has turned into a real crusty old fuck who just drops names of famous people he is friends with and plays golf with. We get it Mike, you're friends with Magic Johnson.

JK_Livin said:

I used to love PTI back in the day. I'll still watch it occasionally, but feels like Wilbon has turned into a real crusty old fuck who just drops names of famous people he is friends with and plays golf with. We get it Mike, you're friends with Magic Johnson.
    I really think he does it because he wants the new generation to know what Old School really is? Am I reaching too far? Too deep and he's just a tool?
    pjhawks said:

that was an awesome one but sad as well. that was and would have been the best non-US team of all time. they were stacked.
    Really, really sad looking back on it because I never really paid much attention to the politics of it then. That's one of the things that really struck me watching the film. We had an exchange student from Croatia my junior year in high school. (This was close to the end of the war for Independence.) He HAAAAAAAATED Vlade because of the flag incident. Good kid, funny as hell. I hated the Lakers and I really liked Petrovic, so I was in his good graces. But like I said I didn't really understand what was going on then. Wish I would've talked to him more. (And looking back, I understand what Vlade's intent was, it was just very poor execution.)
    Little side story to that: The family he lived with lived in one of these small towns where the fire dept would sound the horn every night at 7pm. His first night here, coming from a war-torn home where the only thing that sound means is to take shelter and fear for your life. He's thinking he's in a safe place and he hears the horns sounding first night. I felt so bad for the kid!!

pjhawks said:

Really, really sad looking back on it because I never really paid much attention to the politics of it then. That's one of the things that really struck me watching the film. We had an exchange student from Croatia my junior year in high school. (This was close to the end of the war for Independence.) He HAAAAAAAATED Vlade because of the flag incident. Good kid, funny as hell. I hated the Lakers and I really liked Petrovic, so I was in his good graces. But like I said I didn't really understand what was going on then. Wish I would've talked to him more. (And looking back, I understand what Vlade's intent was, it was just very poor execution.)
    Little side story to that: The family he lived with lived in one of these small towns where the fire dept would sound the horn every night at 7pm. His first night here, coming from a war-torn home where the only thing that sound means is to take shelter and fear for your life. He's thinking he's in a safe place and he hears the horns sounding first night. I felt so bad for the kid!!
    That is a good story!
    edited April 2017

CSN Chicago is doing the same thing...it's so bad. I can't believe people watch that nonsense on any channel.
    Same for CSN New England and they are a friggin joke, as are the two sports talk radio stations in Boston. It's all opinion driven horseshit spewing nothing but negativity & cynicism. Their new spring time programs are focused on combing "hot takes & opinion."

The worst part is, it's infecting the fan bases. People think these guys know what they're talking about and start parroting the nonsense. I haven't listened to sports talk in 1-1/2 years, and am definitely less in tune to what's going on w/ my teams.

But my commutes are a lot nicer listening to music or the news.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380

JK_Livin said:

me, too......but pablo s. torre is awesome.

the other day, ATH had someone from harvard, yale, cornell........and cowlishaw.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16