Options

Roxy Music

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
edited November 2012 in Other Music
What a great band.......anyone also dig them?

Bryan Ferry is the most well known member...Brian Eno was in the band for a few years in the very beginning.

They were "new wave" 7 years before the term was invented!

Great mellow songs as well as some real rockers

Some of their best songs

Virginia Plain
Dance Away
Love is the Drug
More Than This
Do The Strand
Angel Eyes
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    saw the avalon tour back in the early eighties. great show great band. have seen bryan ferry solo a number of times. very underated . back in maui in 98 at the pearl jam show mud honey was laughing how they were going to do a roxy music cover that no one would know what they were playing.
  • Options
    curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    For some reason, (especially since I'm such a huge glam rock fan in general) I never got much into Roxy Music. I do own The Best of Roxy Music, and it is fairly enjoyable, but the only song I've ever really loved is still Love is the Drug. GREAT song.
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Yes! I dig them.
    Avalon is such a great album.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I'm a fan of the crooners. I'd fit Brian Ferry in that category. What songs I've heard from him solo and Roxy Music I've really enjoyed. Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbup:
  • Options
    gabers wrote:
    I'm a fan of the crooners. I'd fit Brian Ferry in that category. What songs I've heard from him solo and Roxy Music I've really enjoyed. Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbup:

He is one of the few "rock" crooners......I suppose Morrissey, and the singer from the Smoking Popes would also fall into that category.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Well known for some racy (for the times) covers.....that Ferry has a silky smooth voice...
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,248
    Resurrecting this thread, 4+ years later, after Jeff's HOF shirt and speech.
    Roxy Music was such an influential band. I saw Bryan Ferry's show last summer -- seeing "In Every Dream Home a Heartache" live was a bucket list kind of event for me. :-)
    Early Roxy Music is a very different animal from "Avalon"-era Roxy Music (or solo Bryan Ferry). I'm a fan of all of their incarnations, but they were FAR stranger when Brian Eno was in the band.

In Every Dream Home a Heartache (a love song to an inflatable doll) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G56DaSAeZfM
    Ladytron (with oboe solo) -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCXe4ApkUq8
    Just Another High, one of the saddest songs I've ever heard --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQfyeLh17eI
    Both Ends Burning (live) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO7cXKULXyo
    My Only Love -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlPJYXVvimQ
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    I looooooove Roxy Music! Seems like so few people have even heard of them, but I find that when I play some for those people, they are immediately into it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Great band! I've been a fan for decades. I agree that they don't get nearly the recognition they deserve and thought it was cool that Jeff included them (both Brian Eno and Roxy Music) on his shirt.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I absolutely love them, have done for decades. Will see Bryan Ferry solo again this summer, can't wait.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    Seeing Bryan Ferry with an orchestra at the Hollywood Bowl this summer.
  • Options
    Perry NeumPerry Neum Vienna, Austria Posts: 856
    Salzburg, Austria 06-18-2000
    Vienna, Austria 09-25-2006
    Vienna, Austria 06-16-2007
    Berlin, Germany 08-15-2009
    Berlin, Germany 06-30-2010
    Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-26-2012
    Amsterdam, Netherlands 06-27-2012
    Praha, Czech Republic 07-02-2012
    Trieste, Italy 06-22-2014
    Vienna, Austria 06-25-2014
  • Options
    The intro to More Than This strikes awesome memory chords.

I used to listen to these guys a ton and seeing this thread reminds me to reconfigure my devices so I can listen to these guys again.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Cool to see Roxy Music here! Bryan Ferry, Brian Eno, Phil Manzanera, Andy Mackay, Eddie Jobson, John Gustafson- man, what a band!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    nigelnigel Posts: 267
    Love Roxy!!! Stranded is my fav album. A dear old friend who has now sadly passed got me into them years ago.

Bizarrely I met Bryan Ferry on my wedding day - he was staying at the hotel where we got married and was sitting listening to an old guy play the piano in the lounge bar - with a very attractive young lady next to him. Me and my best man went to chat to him a little worse for wear in our full morning suits - at the end of the evening - and he was totally charming.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    saw him recently in nola at the nicest theatre i have ever been in(saenger)
    slick show. 10 piece band. the dude is over 70 and he's still got it
    his version of like a hurricane was mind blowing
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,248
    After far too long, Roxy Music is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They were such a big influence on so many bands, it's about time!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    After far too long, Roxy Music is being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

They were such a big influence on so many bands, it's about time!
    Fantastic!  I'm not a huge RRHOF fan but this is one to celebrate.  Bryan Ferry, Phil Manzanera, Brian Eno, Eddie Jobson, Paul Thompson, Andy MacKay.  Damn, what a band!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.