rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

So, would you recommend that those people who are distrustful of police purchase guns so that they can protect themselves?

I don't recommend purchasing a gun for protection, but the logic of many of pro-gun folks says yes, people should buy guns to protect themselves from any perceived threat.
    For the life of me... I can't understand how people do not understand that the risk of getting killed or injured by a gun increases dramatically after a gun is introduced to a home.

Home invaders are a threat, but nowhere near the threat the gun itself is.
    So, you think that people should be able to own guns for self defense but those who choose to exercise their right are idiots?
    No. I don't think that.

I'm saying having a gun in your house exponentially increases your odds of a firearm related accident for you or anyone in your house.
    I always found this to be an interesting argument. Having a child in the house increases the odds of a child peeing on the floor. Having drain cleaner in the house increases the odds of someone poisoning themselves with drain cleaner. Having sleeping pills in the house increases the odds of a sleeping pill overdose. How do you decrease the odds? Lock shit up! Do not leave your drain cleaner accessible to children, etc. The only way a gun will harm someone unintentionally is due to negligence, as with the sleeping pills, drain cleaner, etc.
    I would also argue that having a firearm in the house exponentially increases the odds of your own survival if drugged up armed intruders break in while you are there. Or a few teens armed with knives and brass knuckles as in a recent incident.
    Who actually has the capability to secure their guns from children yet still have them quickly accessible for protection from a home invasion.
    NOBODY!
    Bullshit, there are plenty of quickly accessible biometric or quick release combination safe options out there for just this thing.
    https://thegunsafes.net/biometric-gun-safe-reviews/
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

Probably more than 90% of guy owners don't. You know it in your heart even if you won't admit it.
    I have biometric and RFID safes. So does everyone I know who owns guns.

Maybe that sounds like science fiction to you but it's reality.
    Not science fiction, I know what's​ out there, I'm just realistic about how prevalent theses devices are.
    It's realistic to believe they are not prevalent among gang bangers or meth heads, people that are illegally in possession in the first place...but if that's the only place you are getting your world view...you're hangin with the wrong crowd. So, instead of just bitching and moaning, what *realistic approach would you suggest to decrease gun crimes and accidental shootings?
    I live among farmers and the Amish smart ass, your gun club buddies who get a chubby over a list of calibers aren't a representative of the average American gun owner any more than the meth heads and gangbangers you'd like to imagine make up the bulk of irresponsible gun owners.

I'm done with this shit, you cloak your irrational paranoias in a patois of reasonable speech to oppose the most sensible and reasonable measures. It is you who is bitching and moaning "oh poo, they will confiscate my precious if they know i have them"
    "oh poo, if i cant have whatever gun with whatever feature i want then i might as well just crawl in a hole and die"
    "oh poo, if i cant sell my gun to anybody i want without paperwork then I'm dead already anyways"
    And so on and so on.
    I don't know who you are quoting, but it most definitely is not me. One more sign that you are living in imagination land.
    I didn't realise you support a firearm registry, truly universal background checks, and magazine size regulations.
    I was pretty sure you were in the "just enforce the laws we already have".
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    reset the clock
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    CM189191 said:

reset the clock

Say wha?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Alleged murder suicide at a San Bernardino elementary school today. :disappointed:
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    somewhere someone got stabbed at a school too but it didnt make yahoo's front page.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    rssesq said:

somewhere someone got stabbed at a school too but it didnt make yahoo's front page.

Get the fuck out of here.
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    http://www.msnbc.com/

they know how to pick the most exploitive photos over at pinko/msnbc
  • Options
    What's your problem anyways?
    Your posts remind me of a pubescent teen.

Take your trash somewhere else.
  • Options
    rssesq said:

great...now let's take it one step further...
    why do you think there weren't any school stabbings that made the news today?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    rgambs said:

Alleged murder suicide at a San Bernardino elementary school today. :disappointed:

Not too far from me. I'm about 20 miles southwest and a 30 minute drive from there. My city borders the LA/SB county border on the east side. Condolences to those affected by this tragedy.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

So, would you recommend that those people who are distrustful of police purchase guns so that they can protect themselves?

I don't recommend purchasing a gun for protection, but the logic of many of pro-gun folks says yes, people should buy guns to protect themselves from any perceived threat.
    For the life of me... I can't understand how people do not understand that the risk of getting killed or injured by a gun increases dramatically after a gun is introduced to a home.

So, you think that people should be able to own guns for self defense but those who choose to exercise their right are idiots?
    No. I don't think that.

I'm saying having a gun in your house exponentially increases your odds of a firearm related accident for you or anyone in your house.
    I always found this to be an interesting argument. Having a child in the house increases the odds of a child peeing on the floor. Having drain cleaner in the house increases the odds of someone poisoning themselves with drain cleaner. Having sleeping pills in the house increases the odds of a sleeping pill overdose. How do you decrease the odds? Lock shit up! Do not leave your drain cleaner accessible to children, etc. The only way a gun will harm someone unintentionally is due to negligence, as with the sleeping pills, drain cleaner, etc.
    I would also argue that having a firearm in the house exponentially increases the odds of your own survival if drugged up armed intruders break in while you are there. Or a few teens armed with knives and brass knuckles as in a recent incident.
    Who actually has the capability to secure their guns from children yet still have them quickly accessible for protection from a home invasion.
    NOBODY!
    Bullshit, there are plenty of quickly accessible biometric or quick release combination safe options out there for just this thing.
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

Probably more than 90% of guy owners don't. You know it in your heart even if you won't admit it.

Not science fiction, I know what's​ out there, I'm just realistic about how prevalent theses devices are.
    It's realistic to believe they are not prevalent among gang bangers or meth heads, people that are illegally in possession in the first place...but if that's the only place you are getting your world view...you're hangin with the wrong crowd. So, instead of just bitching and moaning, what *realistic approach would you suggest to decrease gun crimes and accidental shootings?
    I live among farmers and the Amish smart ass, your gun club buddies who get a chubby over a list of calibers aren't a representative of the average American gun owner any more than the meth heads and gangbangers you'd like to imagine make up the bulk of irresponsible gun owners.

I'm done with this shit, you cloak your irrational paranoias in a patois of reasonable speech to oppose the most sensible and reasonable measures. It is you who is bitching and moaning "oh poo, they will confiscate my precious if they know i have them"
    "oh poo, if i cant have whatever gun with whatever feature i want then i might as well just crawl in a hole and die"
    "oh poo, if i cant sell my gun to anybody i want without paperwork then I'm dead already anyways"
    And so on and so on.
    I don't know who you are quoting, but it most definitely is not me. One more sign that you are living in imagination land.
    I didn't realise you support a firearm registry, truly universal background checks, and magazine size regulations.
    This thought process reminds me of someone who has four dogs that are completely neglected, starved and denied veterinary care but the owner swears that a new puppy is a great idea.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

dudeman said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

And so on and so on.
    This thought process reminds me of someone who has four dogs that are completely neglected, starved and denied veterinary care but the owner swears that a new puppy is a great idea.
    Yeah, that's just stupid. The inadequacies of the laws have been pointed out again and again, you deflect and dodge and wiggle and squirm and it is embarrassing.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    It's tiresome.
    I point out that I can sell a gun to a criminal without paperwork.
    You say I still broke the law.
    I point out that there is no way to prove I did or punish me for it.
    I lose track of what obfuscation follows because it is like beating my head off a wall.

It's the same with every control aspect, just beating my head off a wall that conceals it's extremist opinions in measured language.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

It's tiresome.
    I lose track of what obfuscation follows because it is like beating my head off a wall.

It's the same with every control aspect, just beating my head off a wall that conceals it's extremist opinions in measured language.

The fact that there is no way to prove that someone broke the law is exactly the problem. The law is there but no one is enforcing it.

I don't know why that is so difficult for you to understand.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

rgambs said:

It's tiresome.

The fact that there is no way to prove that someone broke the law is exactly the problem. The law is there but no one is enforcing it.

I don't know why that is so difficult for you to understand.
    Me understand? How do you not understand that you can't enforce a law that is designed to be unenforceable. You can't charge someone with a crime that it is impossible to prove they committed. Duh.
  • Options
    The law needs changed so that it can be enforced. Duh.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

It's tiresome.

Logic loophole: why can't we prove you sold the gun to a criminal?
  • Options
    CM189191 said:

rgambs said:

It's tiresome.

You can't prove I knew he was a criminal. I'm not required to check.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Side note. They sold small biometric safes at my local Sams club couple years ago. Bought one for me, my brother, and my dad (Christmas presents). They are readily available at stores such as Bass Pro Shop, Field and Stream, Cabelas, etc. Pretty sure you could get one on Amazon too.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Side note. They sold small biometric safes at my local Sams club couple years ago. Bought one for me, my brother, and my dad (Christmas presents). They are readily available at stores such as Bass Pro Shop, Field and Stream, Cabelas, etc. Pretty sure you could get one on Amazon too.

Were 300 million sold?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

PP193448 said:

Were 300 million sold?
    There are plenty of other ways of securing a firearm other than one of these safes. This particular safe was only mentioned due to a previous poster saying there is no way of securing a firearm for quick access. The function and availability of these proves otherwise.
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

They are great. If for nothing else, they are easy to pack into a suitcase for storing other valuables while traveling. They usually come with an anti-theft wire attached to secure to a bed frame, bottom of car seat, etc.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

PJPOWER said:

dudeman said:

dudeman said:

No. I don't think that.

NOBODY!
    Yeah, there are.
    Too bad NOBODY has one.
    Maybe you do. Maybe.

You are completely full of shit! Most people I know that have children have something similar. You are totally uneducated on the subject. Go back to a topic you have a glimmer of intelligence on...seriously. I have actually received and given these mini-vaults many times as Christmas presents...I'm from Texas and I know a hell of a lot of gun owners that use these, if for nothing else so they do not get their firearms stolen.
    Bullshit. I don't know a single gun owner who has anything but a plain old gun safe.
    You want everyone to believe a fantasy, people aren't gonna buy it.
    So says the person spouting the gun control fallacies.
    What fallacies?
    I live in the middle where common sense shows it's face, not some fantasy land where there are tens of millions of biometric safes in use and kids don't kill themselves every week with their parents' guns.
    There are always going to be responsible and irresponsible people out there, whether they are doing drugs, playing with guns, joy riding in cars, etc. That does not discount the fact that there are also a ton of responsible people out there that should not have there right to protect themselves (from the irresponsible) with a firearm trampled on.
    So can we have as many rules with guns as we do with cars?
    No, no, no, because, um, the Constitution.
    You mean the second amendment, which calls for a "well regulated Militia."
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

The farmers and Amish don't have them though so it's unrealistic that any else does.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

PP193448 said:

The farmers and Amish don't have them though so it's unrealistic that any else does.
    I can see how it might be easy to lose touch with the rest of society living in Amish country...even if you are not Amish yourself.
  • Options
    No, you guys are right. Biometric safes fly off the shelves so fast that is becoming one of the largest industries in America!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    rgambs said:

No, you guys are right. Biometric safes fly off the shelves so fast that is becoming one of the largest industries in America!

Sarcasm is funny :). Safe companies definitely do not seem to be hurting right now...I may be wrong. Besides, not every gun owner needs a biometric type quick access safe. There are plenty of other options out there and everyone's house is built differently. They are smart options when staying in hotels and traveling though.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    rgambs said:

CM189191 said:

rgambs said:

It's tiresome.

You can't prove I knew he was a criminal. I'm not required to check.
    There are things going on now to address state governments that pass legislation that contradicts or undermines federal law. I'll post links when I can.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:

rgambs said:

Sarcasm is funny :). Safe companies definitely do not seem to be hurting right now...I may be wrong. Besides, not every gun owner needs a biometric type quick access safe. There are plenty of other options out there and everyone's house is built differently. They are smart options when staying in hotels and traveling though.
    Key word there is smart. It seems like the standards to be in the militia are pretty low. Lot's of dumbasses out there with guns.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    rgambs said:

I am not too concerned about gun owners safety in their homes. I hope the are very safe, no pun intended, especially if kids are around. But inevitably the home is the owners responsibility.

Regarding gun owners transportation of firearms on public transportation and highways - Why there are virtually no checks that "existing gun laws" are being followed, especially in the liberal "no carry" states, is infuriating.
This discussion has been closed.