Options

Celebration Rock Podcast

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited March 2017
    Listened to them both last night. Very entertaining.

Kind of interesting that the host stated that Vitalogy is the probably most revered album of long time fans. Although we all love it, I feel like there are two camps around here: Ten/Vs and No Code/Yield. I know I am overgeneralizing to a certain (high?) degree but it seems that the "extra" stuff on Vitalogy drops is down a peg or two in terms of one's rankings.

Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,918
    rummy said:

Listened to them both last night. Very entertaining.

Kind of interesting that the host stated that Vitalogy is the probably most revered album of long time fans. Although we all love it, I feel like there are two camps around here: Ten/Vs and No Code/Yield. I know I am overgeneralizing to a certain (high?) degree but it seems that they "extra" stuff on Vitalogy drops is down a peg or two in terms of one's rankings.

Ten, Vs and Yield are their three best, IMO. And you are correct, the filler on Vitalogy does knock it down.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Ok I have to be honest. I listened to the Ten podcast. I found it to be repetitive and annoying. It's like they were making the same points over and over. The Jeremy video director came off as a bit pretentious and he kept yawning and breathing heavy. Weird. I learned nothing new except that the video definitely doesn't define that song for me anymore even though back then maybe it did. Hope the next one is better.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394

Ok I have to be honest. I listened to the Ten podcast. I found it to be repetitive and annoying. It's like they were making the same points over and over. The Jeremy video director came off as a bit pretentious and he kept yawning and breathing heavy. Weird. I learned nothing new except that the video definitely doesn't define that song for me anymore even though back then maybe it did. Hope the next one is better.

he sounds like that in every interview I've heard or seen him. I just think that's how he talks. I liked the podcast. But do wish there was more
    I miss igotid88
  • Options

The Ten one was indeed disappointing. I mean, hey, I don't mind listening to people talk about Pearl Jam but the Ten show was a bit of a let down. I enjoyed the next two more. HOWEVER, it amazes me that the Vitalogy guest wasn't sure of the Vitalogy-NoCode-Yield release sequence. Come on!
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,846
    Just found this and looking forward to listening! Getting pumped for the rock hall ceremony!
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    BRWillyBRWilly DC Posts: 70
    Happy for any and all things where folks write about/talk about how great Pearl Jam is. These podcasts are a little weird in that I feel like most of us here know more about the band/albums than the people on this podcast (listened to Ten and Vs. so far). Especially weird that the host questions whether or not he is getting basic facts correct. But, like I said, I will absorb and generally enjoy anything that is further exploring PJ and its members.
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    Boston 5/17/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philadelphia 4/29/16 (TEN)
    Fenway Park 8/5/16
    Fenway Park 9/4/18
    St. Paul 9/2/23

Ev Solo Providence 6/15/11
  • Options
    gregoryieldgregoryield Posts: 274
    I've made it through all three, and Klosterman is the best guest (by far) so far. There's an abstraction and depth to how he talks about what Pearl Jam and Vitalogy means/meant, v. how everyone else seems to talk about what the band and/or album is/was. I've found all the interviews entertaining, but Klosterman's is the most interesting. I will be curious how they approach the rest of the catalog...
    PJx69
    EVx11
  • Options

I've made it through all three, and Klosterman is the best guest (by far) so far. There's an abstraction and depth to how he talks about what Pearl Jam and Vitalogy means/meant, v. how everyone else seems to talk about what the band and/or album is/was. I've found all the interviews entertaining, but Klosterman's is the most interesting. I will be curious how they approach the rest of the catalog...

I just don't think any of the previous guests would be worthy enough to discuss the next four albums.
    Are any of you involved in writing, public speaking, or media? If so, you might have been worthy guests!
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Half way through Vs. Got all tingly when Animal came in strong during the intro.
  • Options
    So far it doesn't feel like a celebration
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    igotid88 said:

I suppose you have a good point. The guests could be a little more enthusiastic...They need more fan boys (and girls) celebrating every song by stating what's so great about them.
    Seriously.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

Agreed. not the best title for his podcast. but the content is decent
    He is one of the better defenders of rock music.
    I lost taste for RollingStone long ago.
  • Options
    Let's talk about my favorite PJ album that I haven't listened to in over 20 years and know nothing about
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Listened to the Vitalogy one today. Was a really enjoyable hour. I'm a big Chuck Klosterman fan, too, so added bonus.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    good grief. wtf happened half way through Vs. did they forget they were "celebrating" the album?
    igotid88 said:

Let's talk about my favorite PJ album that I haven't listened to in over 20 years and know nothing about

^^ Totally ^^
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    You all are not psyching me up to listening to the next podcast. I often wish to listen to people talk about pj. I guess that's why I spend so much time here! I just hope future guests will be more hardcore fans or at least sound interested and have fun stories. I have an idea... next time there's a tour, let's just record our conversations with each other and make our own podcast.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    Jbarker said:

good grief. wtf happened half way through Vs. did they forget they were "celebrating" the album?

igotid88 said:

^^ Totally ^^
    Yep. If you're going to do a podcast about an album, at least know what the hell you're talking about. They talked about Vs. and didn't even mention Rearviewmirror, Blood or Indifference. Come on!
  • Options

You all are not psyching me up to listening to the next podcast. I often wish to listen to people talk about pj. I guess that's why I spend so much time here! I just hope future guests will be more hardcore fans or at least sound interested and have fun stories. I have an idea... next time there's a tour, let's just record our conversations with each other and make our own podcast.

There's a podcast called "The Great Albums" podcast that you might want to check out. One of the hosts is a fan, and they have covered Ten, Vitalogy, and Yield, so far, and have stated that they will most likely cover the whole catalog. They are musicians too, so they bring that perspective to the table. They do a "Bonus Song" episode for each album and one of those covered Pigeon by Stone Gossard. There are people that know more about Pearl Jam than these guys, but I found them fairly knowledgeable, and they clearly love the music.
  • Options
    The thing is many/most/all of us know more about Pearl Jam than these guys. I'm enjoying these for what they are so far but at the same time trying to remember I'm probably not their target audience. For those less familiar with these catalog and history these podcasts may be more informative. Still, these are interesting enough to have on in the background.

Agreed though..."celebration" is a strong term.

• Options
    BRWillyBRWilly DC Posts: 70

There's a podcast called "The Great Albums" podcast that you might want to check out. One of the hosts is a fan, and they have covered Ten, Vitalogy, and Yield, so far, and have stated that they will most likely cover the whole catalog. They are musicians too, so they bring that perspective to the table. They do a "Bonus Song" episode for each album and one of those covered Pigeon by Stone Gossard. There are people that know more about Pearl Jam than these guys, but I found them fairly knowledgeable, and they clearly love the music.
    Definitely want to recommend The Great Albums. Definitely have enjoyed it more than Celebration Rock so far, simply because they at least go into each song on the album. Celebration Rock left so much out. Also feels a lot more like fans talking about PJ.
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    Boston 5/17/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philadelphia 4/29/16 (TEN)
    Fenway Park 8/5/16
    Fenway Park 9/4/18
    St. Paul 9/2/23

Ev Solo Providence 6/15/11
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    Both albums in one podcast? What happened... did a bunch a fans email and complain, and as a jab, they grouped the two greatest together just to piss us off ?!
  • Options
    Jbarker said:

demetrios said:
    Both albums in one podcast? What happened... did a bunch a fans email and complain, and as a jab, they grouped the two greatest together just to piss us off ?!
    It will be two episodes dropped on the same day like Vs and Vitalogy were.

• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    looking at the charts for the podcasts. The last 3 were in the 13-26th place range. This one right now is at 46. Hope more people listen to it. Just so they can listen to No Code
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

looking at the charts for the podcasts. The last 3 were in the 13-26th place range. This one right now is at 46. Hope more people listen to it. Just so they can listen to No Code

Hope so too. Would be a nice reminder for the casual fan base.
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Thoughts on this so far... I'm enjoying it as a time killer at work and on the commute, but as others have stated, I wish it went a little more in depth. I guess it is geared toward the more casual fan who hasn't spent the last 25 years loving this band.
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I've only listened to the Vitalogy one but the Klosterman guy kind of sounded embarrassed that he was a fan at one point.
    as stated earlier, not much of a celebration. Lets get John Mayer or Adam Levine on this frigin thing. ha
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    laa1025laa1025 Posts: 128
    The one with Jessica Letkemann will be the best one. But, it is interesting to hear casual fans discuss their points of view. I found PJ in college, so it was interesting to me to think about people finding PJ in middle school. I hadn't thought about that before.