America's Gun Violence

Comments

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I've said it time after time, most police officers are not firearm experts and are often not very proficiently trained.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/03/robert-farago/chicago-pd-bounces-just-3-of-recruits-could-you-pass-chicago-police-department-shooting-test/
    edited March 2017
    CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...
    "the number of fatal firearms accidents dropped 17 percent from 2014 to 2015 to 489, the lowest total since record-keeping began in 1903. That’s about three-tenths of 1 percent of the 146,571 total accidental deaths from all other listed causes, which are up 8 percent from 2014 to 2015. It should be noted that the decrease, which was the largest percentage decline of any category, came in a year that saw record firearms sales to many millions of Americans."
    http://www.nssfblog.com/unintentional-firearms-fatalities-fall-17-percent/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=bulletpoints&utm_term

So how many preventable deaths is that?
    How is that in relation to other causes; like terrorism, car accidents or overdoses?
    Or compared to other countries?
    What's the standard here? How many preventable deaths are acceptable?

I get skeptical when people talk in percentages, don't provide real numbers, or any perspective. This is cherry picking data.
    Any research that I've seen shows that drug overdoses and car accidents far outweigh unintentional firearm deaths. The point is that unintentional firearm deaths are lower than ever due to proper education. Statistically, more firearms does not correlate with more unintended firearm deaths and more education does correlate with fewer unintended firearm deaths.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...
    "the number of fatal firearms accidents dropped 17 percent from 2014 to 2015 to 489, the lowest total since record-keeping began in 1903. That’s about three-tenths of 1 percent of the 146,571 total accidental deaths from all other listed causes, which are up 8 percent from 2014 to 2015. It should be noted that the decrease, which was the largest percentage decline of any category, came in a year that saw record firearms sales to many millions of Americans."
    http://www.nssfblog.com/unintentional-firearms-fatalities-fall-17-percent/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=bulletpoints&utm_term

How is that in relation to other causes; like terrorism, car accidents or overdoses?

I get skeptical when people talk in percentages, don't provide real numbers, or any perspective. This is cherry picking data.
    Any research that I've seen shows that drug overdoses and car accidents far outweigh unintentional firearm deaths. The point is that unintentional firearm deaths are lower than ever due to proper education. Statistically, more firearms does not correlate with more unintended firearm deaths and more education does correlate with fewer unintended firearm deaths.
    That is completely untrue in the global sense
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited March 2017

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...

Thought it was implied that I am specifically talking about the United States...where education is helping to reduce unintentional firearm deaths according to the most recent statistics. I am being a bit facetious, in all honesty. These statistical interpretations can be skewed and manipulated by either side of the argument to fit their validation needs. I've seen the CDC reaseatch of violence grossly exaggerated and grossly misleading by gun control advocates as well as vise versa. It's hard to address any problems when the research methods are flawed.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...

Who s gonna be first to discredit these numbers?
    I'm all ears.
    I'll discredit the conclusion you're probably drawing. Gun sales increased, but not because more people are buying guns, it's because gun owners are hoarding guns. There's no relationship between the number of guns purchased and the decrease in accidental deaths.
    edited March 2017

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...

I'm all ears.
    I'll discredit the conclusion you're probably drawing. Gun sales increased, but not because more people are buying guns, it's because gun owners are hoarding guns. There's no relationship between the number of guns purchased and the decrease in accidental deaths.
    Yeah, there is no great way of gathering information to support this statement. There have been reports that more and more women are purchasing firearms and getting into hunting/shooting sports, but most surveys of "who owns a gun" is probably going to be inaccurate due the broad hesitation of gun owners divulging such information to the surveyors. For instance, most people have been taught to "just say no" when asked by medical professionals whether or not they own guns and there is no demographic information turned in to anyone from the gun sellers. How is it that you think you can accurately confirm that the most people buying guns are hoarders? From what I've seen and heard, the rate of 1st time gun purchases are on the increase and have been for a while (especially during Obama's presidency) due to the hype/fear/whatever you want to call it.
    My conclusion's based on responses to the question of whether or not there's a gun in the household. This has dropped over time. People lying about it would likely stay constant over time. The paranoia about the government taking your guns has always been around.
    edited March 2017

My conclusion's based on responses to the question of whether or not there's a gun in the household. This has dropped over time. People lying about it would likely stay constant over time. The paranoia about the government taking your guns has always been around.

That would be something interesting to research. I wonder if the statistics relate to trust/distrust in the government or how means of gathering information have changed over time. I, for one, screen any phone numbers that I do not recognize these days due to the abundance of telemarketers/scammers (although I'm on the no call list and this annoys me to no end), but who knows how many surveyor calls I've rejected. Not to mention that people in states that have become more strict on gun control lately would invite a lot more people lying or refusing to answer gun ownership questionnaires accurately. There are plenty of reasons those numbers might be highly questionable based on the gathering methods. I think there are probably a lot more gun owners out there than most imagine.
  • go prego pre Posts: 642
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...

I'm all ears.
    concealed carry permits and gun sales have dropped very little if any at all, most license's and sales are credited to minorities
    lately, I don't have a link to provide but it was something I read just recently.

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...

I'm all ears.
    concealed carry permits and gun sales have dropped very little if any at all, most license's and sales are credited to minorities
    lately, I don't have a link to provide but it was something I read just recently.

Households with guns is the important number if you guys want to make a case.
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I grew up in Alaska around a lot of very responsible gun owners. I went shooting a few times and just couldn't find the fun, but totally support my family and friends rights to legally own them
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    go pre said:
    Suspect taken alive. What's the over/under on their complexion?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • go prego pre Posts: 642
    CM189191 said:

go pre said:
    Hmong
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.

PJPOWER said:

mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...

I'm all ears.

Households with guns is the important number if you guys want to make a case.
    couldn't agree more...but it does rule out the earlier remarks made by train members who stated something to the effect
    "white gun toting yehaa rednecks" but in any case I'm happy to be able to live in a country that still despite the leftist anti-gun nuts
    has the freedom to own and carry a weapon.

go pre said:

CM189191 said:

go pre said:
    Hmong
    Damn, that w/should've been my second guess
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:
    Does this get you revved up? A little armed insurrection gets your blood flowing usually!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203

joseph33 said:

You people are so chicken shit scared of something nobody is even pushing for.

wrong.......pay attention, I don't want to lose the right to buy and own an AR-15 or any model rifle or any semi-automatic weapon including
    semi auto pistols.

Godfather.

You don't have a right to buy military weapons.
    So if the South during the civil war had repeating rifles while the North only had muskets,the result of the war would be a South victory and therefore slavery would have continued. If the United States government ever turned on their own people,I myself would want a level playing field.
    You want civilians to have access to everything the military has?
    Small arms..Yes. Explosive munitions and armored vehicles,obviously no.
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...

The thread was AMERICA's gun violence.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    joseph33 said:

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...

The thread was AMERICA's gun violence.
    Yes, but the claim as it was made is still false.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

PJPOWER said:

CM189191 said:

PJPOWER said:

Interesting...

really ? are you referring to countries in the middle east ? in any case I'd have to disagree with you, besides I'm more
    concerned with US and it's laws and restrictions.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/28/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-suspected-getaway-driver-arrested.html

The would-be burglars had "a short exchange of words" with the homeowner's 23-year-old son before he shot them with a rifle, Wagoner County Deputy Nick Mahoney said. The unnamed shooter has not been charged, and Mahoney said he appeared to be acting in self-defense -- but investigators said more charges could be coming.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/28/oklahoma-home-invasion-shooting-suspected-getaway-driver-arrested.html

The would-be burglars had "a short exchange of words" with the homeowner's 23-year-old son before he shot them with a rifle, Wagoner County Deputy Nick Mahoney said. The unnamed shooter has not been charged, and Mahoney said he appeared to be acting in self-defense -- but investigators said more charges could be coming.

here's the followup godfather:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-getaway-driver-charged-murder-183108050.html
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

here's the followup godfather:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-getaway-driver-charged-murder-183108050.html
    wow ! all get away drivers should be charged as she is.
    thanks for the up date.

edited March 2017

Wait, wait, wait...aren't AR-15s impractical for home defense as stated by the anti-firearms experts around here? Seemed awfully practical in this situation...I find it odd that they didn't use the term "assault rifle" as usual. Where is the "teen uses assault rifle to stop three home intruders" NBC headline?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-man-uses-ar-15-kill-three-teen-home-intruders-n739541
    PJPOWER said:

Wait, wait, wait...aren't AR-15s impractical for home defense as stated by the anti-firearms experts around here? Seemed awfully practical in this situation...I find it odd that they didn't use the term "assault rifle" as usual. Where is the "teen uses assault rifle to stop three home intruders"?
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oklahoma-man-uses-ar-15-kill-three-teen-home-intruders-n739541
    hahahhaha !!!! yea
    as this story points out there 3 intruders and a driver outside, an AR 15 is well within practical defense (very nice weapon)

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    PJPOWER said:

Wait, wait, wait...aren't AR-15s impractical for home defense as stated by the anti-firearms experts around here? Seemed awfully practical in this situation...I find it odd that they didn't use the term "assault rifle" as usual. Where is the "teen uses assault rifle to stop three home intruders" NBC headline?
    That doesn't fit the narrative of the radical lefty anti-gunner.
    PJPOWER said:

Now you've got your logics crossed. People defend AR-15s because they say they're little more than a dressed up hunting rifle. Which of course, it is. Dressed up to be a military grade weapon, for military purposes, not civilian use.

"The decision marks the fifth time that a federal appeals court has upheld a state assault weapons law, but it goes further than those previous decisions. It is the first to exclude AR-15s and other similar guns from Second Amendment protection on the grounds that they are virtually indistinguishable from weapons of war. The court found that such designation overrides considerations of the common usage or suitability for home self-defense of a gun like the AR-15."

A tank would probably be pretty useful for home defense, too. But you don't see one of those parked my front yard.
This discussion has been closed.