Options

AXS TV ‘Rock Legends’ To Premiere Grateful Dead, Santana, Pearl Jam & Other New Episodes

demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,836
https://www.jambase.com/article/axs-tv-rock-legends-premiere-grateful-dead-santana-pearl-jam-new-episodes

Feb 18, 2017 11:15 am PST By Andy Kahn

AXS TV will begin premiering new episodes of its Rock Legends series on Sunday, March 5. The slate of new episodes includes features on the Grateful Dead, Santana, Pearl Jam and many more iconic musicians.

Each Sunday AXS TV will air back-to-back new episodes of Rock Legends beginning with U2 and Red Hot Chili Peppers on March 5. The following week Pearl Jam and Johnny Cash episodes will be shown. Billy Joel and Bon Jovi will be the focus of Rock Legends on March 19 and Phil Collins and Radiohead will be profiled on March 26.

On April 2 AXS TV will premiere episodes on the Beastie Boys and Green Day and the following week it will air Dusty Springfield and Genesis episodes. On April 16 Rock Legends will center on Jefferson Airplane and Santana and the current run of new episodes will conclude on April 23 with the Grateful Dead and Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Each 30-minute episode of Rock Legends relies on interviews, archival footage and live performances to detail the cultural impact of the artist being presented. Previous episodes have examined David Bowie, Janis Joplin, The Velvet Underground, Stevie Wonder, Jimi Hendrix and several others.

Comments

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Bout time!!
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Someone will record and share in HD, I hope
  • Options
    Thanks for the news.
  • Options

Someone will record and share in HD, I hope

Me too. We don't get AXS TV here on the coast. Not sure if available West of Montreal.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Big Johnny Cash fan. Too bad the boys never collaborated anything with him.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    ^
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    To watch AXS TV .. Via Comcast .. http://www.axs.tv/subscribe/ .

Hope someone is able to capture the broadcast this Sunday.
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    This Sunday!
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    demetrios said:

Hope someone is able to capture the broadcast this Sunday.

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Judging by the Eric Clapton episode this is gonna be pretty underwhelming. They do pay to license the actual music, but it's pretty soft content wise and even used a few kinda tall tale/legend type stories as fact.
  • Options
    Stars in 20 minutes.
  • Options
    offhegoes32offhegoes32 Posts: 407
    DewieCox said:

Judging by the Eric Clapton episode this is gonna be pretty underwhelming. They do pay to license the actual music, but it's pretty soft content wise and even used a few kinda tall tale/legend type stories as fact.

Agree, just watched last week's U2 and RHCP episodes. If PJ is the same, guessing there's almost no footage or tales that are new to anyone here. At least cool that there is a network running stuff like this though. I remember watching VH1 Legends when I was younger and loved seeing footage of old bands before my time, maybe this series can do the same for younger fans.
    No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    This PJ one isn't new, it's the old one from VH1 Classics. The one one tonight first aired on 9/23/14.
  • Options

• Options
    that guy got the Temple of the Dog story wrong.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

This PJ one isn't new, it's the old one from VH1 Classics. The one one tonight first aired on 9/23/14.

Don't remember Rock Legends on VH1 Classics. And it would've been mentioned many times at the time.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    release00release00 Posts: 342
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

To say the least.

11 minutes in and still haven't moved on from Ten
    "So much it dont show"
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

EM194007 said:

Don't remember Rock Legends on VH1 Classics. And it would've been mentioned many times at the time.
    It was Rock Icons, not Legends. And that PJ show tonight sure wasn't something new, or nothing great at all, sadly.
  • Options
    EM194007 said:

igotid88 said:

EM194007 said:

It was Rock Icons, not Legends. And that PJ show tonight sure wasn't something new, or nothing great at all, sadly.
    I don't remember a Rock Icons Pearl Jam show. I know there a show on Ovation but I think that was during Backspacer.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    edited March 2017
    igotid88 said:

Yeah, facts were wrong, but some of their opinions on why they did things didn't jive either. Of course nobody is getting anything past us.

Also, we all have heard the story to No Code to death. (I am almost sick of it:) ). At least they went to other albums and eras.

Not a word about their live shows though? Or footage? That was a joke.

All in all not real in depth or new or interesting or well done. bleh
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    it's a half hour show. There's not much you can fit in.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    igotid88 said:

it's a half hour show. There's not much you can fit in.

This...... how much can you expect to see in 22 minutes of actual content? It would be fine for someone who knows nothing about the band, but if you have any idea of their history, or have seen PJ20 then you're good.

DewieCox nailed it, this was underwhelming at best.

The Johnny Cash episode however wasn't half bad. I'm looking forward to the Radiohead & Genesis episodes.
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    edited March 2017
    It would be nearly impossible to please us. We know too much! So...no, I didn't enjoy it. It was too superficial.
    But I only know a little about U2, Sting and RHCP, so I did enjoy those episodes. Seeing the errors in the PJ show, I wonder what the other episodes got wrong.

Wish someone would do a deep dive into the music -- the chords, the melodies, the production, etc. -- the way Spike Lee did with his "Off the Wall" Michael Jackson documentary. He had producers and musicians getting technical about the music. I'd pay money to see that.
  • Options

It would be nearly impossible to please us. We know too much! So...no, I didn't enjoy it. It was too superficial.
    But I only know a little about U2, Sting and RHCP, so I did enjoy those episodes. Seeing the errors in the PJ show, I wonder what the other episodes got wrong.

Wish someone would do a deep dive into the music -- the chords, the melodies, the production, etc. -- the way Spike Lee did with his "Off the Wall" Michael Jackson documentary. He had producers and musicians getting technical about the music. I'd pay money to see that.

That would be pretty great, or even if they did an episode on VH1's Classic Albums. Like how they always have the producers and sound guys telling the back story.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    That show sucked
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,476
    That classic cut from Riot Act called Save. heh
    Backspacer is the ultimate Pearl Jam album! heh
  • Options
    evedder23evedder23 Posts: 38
    It was very disappointing...bunch of info we already knew...kept showing the same clips over and over
    I am a doughnut - E.V.