Options

Nintendo releases NES mini

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603

JK_Livin said:

I was at Best Buy on Monday night for something else and just asked about the NES. They told me tickets would be passed out at 7am but they're were already people waiting in their cars. Not worth it. I'll wait.

Yep. I'll wait too.

Talking to a young man in GameStop, he tells me that "Nintendo is a smart company and they know what they're doing"...

Yes, they are. They are manipulating the market so they can sell them for more with those stupid add ons.
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,138

JK_Livin said:

I was at Best Buy on Monday night for something else and just asked about the NES. They told me tickets would be passed out at 7am but they're were already people waiting in their cars. Not worth it. I'll wait.

Yep. I'll wait too.

Talking to a young man in GameStop, he tells me that "Nintendo is a smart company and they know what they're doing"...

Yes, they are. They are manipulating the market so they can sell them for more with those stupid add ons.
    But Gamestop is adding the addons, not nintendo. So Gamestop is smart but I don't know what Nintendo is doing.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Jed said:

JK_Livin said:

Yep. I'll wait too.

But Gamestop is adding the addons, not nintendo. So Gamestop is smart but I don't know what Nintendo is doing.
    Oh. I didn't realize that. Well then forget me. Still, screw Nintendo.
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    There are far more people who still want one than people who are getting pissed and saying they won't buy one. I for one will not be buying one, but by limiting the amount available to the open market, they keep the demand high which equals instant sales each time they release more. The only reason this would make sense however is if they're stunting production between these "releases", limiting the amount of unsold units they could end up with.
  • Options

JK_Livin said:

Yep. I'll wait too.

Nintendo released the Virtual Boy.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I'm still quietly waiting for one. I built one of those Raspberry Pi things and it works well, with much more capability than the NES Mini. As a result, there is no urgency. I can play any of the 30 titles that are featured and much, much more.

I will still get one of these. I am a sucker/collector of retro gaming stuff. I still own all my old stuff. Still play ROMs on my cell phone.

I just wont stress out about it, wait in lines, etc. If it takes awhile and they are stacked on shelves in May, then I will buy one.

• Options
    i still got Super Mario: Color Splash and Pikmin 3 to play through.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,855

JK_Livin said:

Yep. I'll wait too.

Nintendo released the Virtual Boy.
    I had that thing lol. My eyes and head would hurt after 15 minutes of play. I remember Mario Tennis being really fun.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    edited December 2016
    Where can I get just the controller?

Buying the console from a scalper after work.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Where can I get just the controller?

Buying the console from a scalper after work.

Controllers are even harder to find. But, you can use a Wii Classic controller, which will run you about $10.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574

youngster said:

You know, I would have bought one of these things had Nintendo not been fucking around with the supply of inventory. Now that I have had a chance to think it over and read about it, I'm not even interested in it anymore. Even when these things are stacked up all over every store in May of next year, I don't think I'd even give it a second thought. My guess is the people standing in line overnight are just looking to flip it on eBay while they still are demanding 4x the original price. So thanks Nintendo for not giving me buyers remorse and saving me $60 that I can spend on my kids for xmas.

Yeah, man. I played these games enough back on the day and I don't have enough nostalgia to care that much for this fuckinf thing. Fuck them and I'm not giving a cent to a bunch of fucks that run a business this way.
    Funny thing is I still have my original NES (doesn't work) that I got for xmas in 1987. I have 15 games, the joystick, the gun for duck hunt, power glove, power pad, and a stack of Nintendo Power magazines that I subscribed to in the early 90's. I should jump on this train and eBay the shit out of these. I think they all work with the exception of the console which blinks from purple to black when you turn it on. Must be something easy to fix. Maybe I'll hand out tickets and let people sleep outside my house overnight for a chance to purchase it.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    youngster said:

youngster said:

You know, I would have bought one of these things had Nintendo not been fucking around with the supply of inventory. Now that I have had a chance to think it over and read about it, I'm not even interested in it anymore. Even when these things are stacked up all over every store in May of next year, I don't think I'd even give it a second thought. My guess is the people standing in line overnight are just looking to flip it on eBay while they still are demanding 4x the original price. So thanks Nintendo for not giving me buyers remorse and saving me $60 that I can spend on my kids for xmas.

Yeah, man. I played these games enough back on the day and I don't have enough nostalgia to care that much for this fuckinf thing. Fuck them and I'm not giving a cent to a bunch of fucks that run a business this way.
    Maybe I'll hand out tickets and let people sleep outside my house overnight for a chance to purchase it.
    Will the Mrs. be handing out hot chocolate? If so, I'm in.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Boom. Played a little Tecmo and Punch Out after the Birds game last night.

Good times.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I'll be looking after Christmas I guess...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    youngster said:

youngster said:

Funny thing is I still have my original NES (doesn't work) that I got for xmas in 1987. I have 15 games, the joystick, the gun for duck hunt, power glove, power pad, and a stack of Nintendo Power magazines that I subscribed to in the early 90's. I should jump on this train and eBay the shit out of these. I think they all work with the exception of the console which blinks from purple to black when you turn it on. Must be something easy to fix. Maybe I'll hand out tickets and let people sleep outside my house overnight for a chance to purchase it.
    If those Nintendo Power mags are in great shape, some of them can go for pretty big bucks. I remember taking all mine & dumping them in a magazine recycling bin a number of years ago. I had some high dollar issues, too! Whoops.
  • Options
    Just scored one on Gamestop. Actually 2 on accident
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I'm headed there now to find another controller actually
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I did it online. Checked nowinstock at the perfect time. The links were active for awhile though so we will see if they oversold.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

youngster said:

youngster said:

Maybe I'll hand out tickets and let people sleep outside my house overnight for a chance to purchase it.
    Will the Mrs. be handing out hot chocolate? If so, I'm in.
    That can be arranged for sure!

• Options

youngster said:

youngster said:

If those Nintendo Power mags are in great shape, some of them can go for pretty big bucks. I remember taking all mine & dumping them in a magazine recycling bin a number of years ago. I had some high dollar issues, too! Whoops.
    Oh ma, I didn't even know that. I'm sure there not in collectors edition or anything but they are all intact. I should do some research and see what I have

• Options
    I played it last night.

Was decent. Was slightly disappointed with the interface. I was hoping maybe it would store the high scores, or number of plays, something like that. Not a big deal. Easy enough to use. Kind of weird that you need to hit the reset button to get back to the main screen/menu.

Games were fun. I played a few minutes of Ninja Gaiden, SMB, and Balloon Fight. Had fun. Games looked great and smooth. I have a 3rd party wireless controller. It worked well with a couple minor hiccups.

Overall, though, the Raspberry Pi is much better. This is a must buy for me because I am a retro game fan... The Pi too can require more TLC too as the NES Classic just plugs in and plays out of the box.
  • Options
    its available at gamestop at the moment FYI
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I played it last night.

Was decent. Was slightly disappointed with the interface. I was hoping maybe it would store the high scores, or number of plays, something like that. Not a big deal. Easy enough to use. Kind of weird that you need to hit the reset button to get back to the main screen/menu.

Games were fun. I played a few minutes of Ninja Gaiden, SMB, and Balloon Fight. Had fun. Games looked great and smooth. I have a 3rd party wireless controller. It worked well with a couple minor hiccups.

Overall, though, the Raspberry Pi is much better. This is a must buy for me because I am a retro game fan... The Pi too can require more TLC too as the NES Classic just plugs in and plays out of the box.

It does store high scores. You just have to save it when done playing.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

its available at gamestop at the moment FYI

Lies...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Funny, my brother bought me a PS4 for Christmas. So fucking difficult to learn all of the controls. I prefer the NES with 2 buttons,
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,255
    MayDay10 said:

Hook a brother up?
  • Options
  • Options
    mca47 said:

MayDay10 said:

Hook a brother up?
    Sorry, sent it right away to my friend in colorado. It was the bundle with the guide for like 120 anyways
  • Options
    Has anyone located these after Christmas yet?