Options

So I'm Moving to Connecticut...

Hello all! I'll start by saying that I've been visiting these boards for years but I don't really post much. With that said, I know that this is a good place to come for good advice and honest feedback.

My fiance, her daughter, and I currently live in Atlanta. My fiance works in retail and was recently offered a District Manager position in Connecticut, which we accepted. This move will get us closer to our families, and it is a step in the right direction for her career. Right now the plan is for us to move towards the end of November.

Aside from driving through Connecticut a couple of times neither one of us are very familiar with the state. I'm hoping some of you may be able to recommend a good area to live in? Based on the location of her stores, we're thinking somewhere towards the middle of the state may be best. We're looking for an area with the obvious - affordable housing, good schools, low crime, etc. etc. I'll also be looking for a job, so any advice on that front would be helpful too! I have over 10 years of security management experience, primarily in a retail and hospitality setting, but am open to trying something new. If any of you are hiring let me know! I'm on LinkedIn and can PM you a link to my profile. If nothing else it would be nice to meet some fellow Pearl Jam fans in the area.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments

• Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,039
    I hope that you get some good info on here...New Hampshire is the closest that I have been, so I am no help...
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    edited August 2016
    Edit, wrong thread
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I lived in CT for a stretch. Was not for me. Good luck.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    My wife's family lives in Glastonbury. I know that it has good schools, and it seems to be nice enough when we visit -- for Connecticut, that is.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    Worst drivers in the northeast
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

Tied with Pennsylvania.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    dankind said:

Tied with Pennsylvania.
    No
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

dankind said:

Tied with Pennsylvania.
    No
    You're in denial.

New Jersey and Massachusetts are tied for second.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,873
    @Grandmas Jam - help him out grandma
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

@Grandmas Jam - help him out grandma

where the fuck have you been?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options

Hopefully 2 years in Atlanta and 6 years in Florida have me prepared for this...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    I used to travel there a lot. Hartford sucks and Danbury/Ridgefield area sucks. I'm sure it all doesn't suck though...
  • Options
    Southington is a real nice area about 25 minutes south of Hartford.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    dankind said:

Tied with Pennsylvania.
    Try Colorado Springs, Co! ( I know it's not the north east.. But good God above.... These people can NOT drive!! Lol)
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    P.s. Good luck with your move!
  • Options
    Where is your wife's job mainly going to be located? As district manager, I understand that she'll likely need to drive around a bit from time to time to check on different stores under her watch, but will she have a main store/office where she'll spend most of her days?

Connecticut is small, but as folks have mentioned (including yours truly), due to the awful drivers in the Constitution State, commuting there can be a nightmare. So you might want to make the drive as short and stress-free as possible for her.

(BTW: I'm originally from Florida. Connecticut drivers are much worse.)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Where is your wife's job mainly going to be located? As district manager, I understand that she'll likely need to drive around a bit from time to time to check on different stores under her watch, but will she have a main store/office where she'll spend most of her days?

Connecticut is small, but as folks have mentioned (including yours truly), due to the awful drivers in the Constitution State, commuting there can be a nightmare. So you might want to make the drive as short and stress-free as possible for her.

The person she's replacing uses a store in Meriden as her home store, so she's thinking she may do the same (she'll have some say in what store she chooses). She'll also have stores in Holyoke MA, Enfield, Manchester, Waterbury, Milford, Mashantucket, Trumbull, Stamford, and Danbury. We've been told that the person she's replacing does spend a lot of time on the road in traffic, so we're thinking central CT would be best. We have basically ruled out Hartford due to some feedback from her family and some research we've done online. I didn't think drivers could get much worse than in Florida until I moved to Atlanta, then I thought nope this is the worst. Sounds like that won't be the case! Thanks for your feedback!
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Stay away from the 95 area.....worst traffic ever. Oh and be prepared to pay out the ass for gas if you do.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    dankind said:

Having now lived in the north east and Florida... Florida wins.
    Florida... King of the awful drivers.. Not even close... Get your license at 16 and never lose it... Grandma and Grandpa scare the bejeebus out of me.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    lol, I was trying to be nice, but looking at the other posts, I guess I can unload.

Connecticut sucks balls. It is the worst state in the country.

Worst, as mentioned is the traffic and the drivers. I have lived in New Jersey, NY, Pennsylvania, and driven amongst Massholes a lot... Nobody compares with the shittiness of CT driver. They are clueless and dangerous. To further compound the issue, the roadway system design is completely fucked. For a Northeast State/climate, nobody has a clue how to drive in winter weather. One time a dusting started coming down when I was on 95 and almost instantly, 3 cars spun out around me like a cartoon. They also seem to think they can take their time and "salt" roads with sand which gets all over everything. You get wealthy housewives driving $80K SUVs who think they are indestructible.

Everything is humorously expensive in Connecticut. Go out to eat, get gas, groceries, you name it. It will be taken out of your ass. Cost of living is awful. Stop and Shop sucks too.

People are awful (most, I did meet good folks). They either 'think' they are from NYC or Boston, yet are in some sort of purgatory in Connecticut nobody seems to escape from. Most people are extremely materialistic to a point where I started to find humor in all my interactions. I notices circles of friends seem to be created and dissolved all the time, as elsewhere I have lived, there are 'lifetime' friends.

Then right around Christmas every year, you get a nice "bill" in the mail from the State, asking you for hundreds of dollars for tax for your vehicle(s). That is if you can manage to register in CT. It took me (no lie) 14 long and frustrating trips to the DMV (including 1 ejection) to change over.

I was going to walk away from my job to go somewhere else with nothing (but then an opportunity arose).
  • Options

dankind said:

The person she's replacing uses a store in Meriden as her home store, so she's thinking she may do the same (she'll have some say in what store she chooses). She'll also have stores in Holyoke MA, Enfield, Manchester, Waterbury, Milford, Mashantucket, Trumbull, Stamford, and Danbury. We've been told that the person she's replacing does spend a lot of time on the road in traffic, so we're thinking central CT would be best. We have basically ruled out Hartford due to some feedback from her family and some research we've done online. I didn't think drivers could get much worse than in Florida until I moved to Atlanta, then I thought nope this is the worst. Sounds like that won't be the case! Thanks for your feedback!
    If she chose Manchester as her home store, my recommendation for Glastonbury would work well. Again, great schools and nice little town. If she chooses Meriden, however, I'd back SmallestOceans' recommendation of Southington, which also has good schools.

Any town with good schools is going to be a little pricier than those without, so you might not get to pick your first choice of town based on affordability and fun activities once you research the schools. This happened to me constantly when I was moving from Brooklyn to Massachusetts. I'd see a really nice and affordable house in a walkable town with awesome restaurants, bars and shops and then check out the schools and be back to square one. Damn kids run everything! :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    The middle "c" is silent
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Connecticut is f'n awesome!!
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I grew up in West Hartford and it was a great place to grow up.
    Close to NYC and Boston. Reasonable drive to Vermont, reasonable drive to the shore.
    And a LOT of good shows come to Hartford.
    Connecticut will seem expensive compared to Atlanta. You will get a lot less for your money. But it is not as bad as parts of New York or New Jersey.
    In the Hartford area, you will want to consider West Hartford, Avon, Simsbury, and Glastonbury. All of those towns have good schools.
    These are also the most expensive towns. Avoid downstate, especially farfield county $$$$$.
    There are plenty of nice towns with decent schools-just do a little homework.
    Yes the traffic can be crazy during rush hour and 84 (west of Chesire), 91 and 95 seem to always be busy, but it is nowhere near as bad as Boston, New York or New Jersey. And I would guess it will seem much better than Atlanta.
    Most important-your wife will need an all wheel drive vehicle if she plans on getting around November through February. It snows in CT. Some winters it snows a LOT.
    And sorry, but the worst drivers can be found in New Jersey. On the garden state parkway, route 46, and the turnpike.
    Good luck!