Options

Of the Girl

NoWayNoWay St. Louis Posts: 347
I'd like to learn this on my acoustic. Anyone have a good tab or tips? I saw some online but didn't seem quite right.
St. Louis - 7/27/92, 4/22/03, 10/5/04, 5/4/10, 7/1/11 (EV), 10/3/14
Chicago - 5/17/06, 8/21/08 (EV), 8/23/09, 7/19/13, 8/20/16
Champaign - 4/23/03
East Troy - 9/3/11, 9/4/11
Kansas City - 5/3/10
Las Vegas - 6/6/03
Memphis - 6/20/09 (EV)
Moline - 10/17/14
Oklahoma City - 11/16/13

Comments

• Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    It's more of a "full band" song, playing it solo on acoustic doesn't really sound complete, but I will try to tab out the riffs for you....also more of a studio experiment type song with layers and layers of guitars, which is why the band doesn't play it live much, if doesn't live up to the studio recording in my opinion
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    e---------------------------- |-------------------
    B--------------0----1-------|--------1---0------
    G---2---2---------------2--|---2-------------2
    D-----------------------------------------------
    A------------------------------------------------
    E------------------------------------------------

next part (repeat several times)

e-----------------------------
    B----------------------------
    G-----2---2---0-----------
    D---------------------3----0
    A----------------------------
    E----------------------------

next part (one time, leads into chorus)

e-----------------------0-----------------
    B----3---3---3---1-------1----0----1---
    G-----------------------------------------
    D----------------------------------------
    A------------------------------------------
    E-----------------------------------------

Chorus = F chord, Am chord

Play with that, and let me know how it sounds
    Post edited by StuffnJunk on
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    i seem to remember the record being flat when i did it for the full album cover.

Plus I'm pretty sure I alternated strings with open d and the notes above
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    Yeah i tabbed the most basic parts. There a LOT more going on in the recording
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Unless my ears deceive me, I only hear Mike and Stone guitar-wise. Stone's part isn't all that intricate, Mike riffing as usual. How many recorded guitar based parts are you all hearing?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    You don't hear any difference between the studio version and a live version?

Maybe its just an acoustic 12 string and the "binaural" recording techniques, but the album version sounds massive and live versions sound so empty
    Post edited by StuffnJunk on
  • Options
    Yeah, I think you're hearing the Binaural 360 degree sound production on this one. It makes it sound like you are sitting in the center of the sound - not that there couldn't be a 3rd part in there, and yes, I've listened to the live version (even seen it played 3x live in person). There's no way they can re-create the space the studio song does. Maybe a ton of reverb and having Ed play a bit or two. Hmmm.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    NoWayNoWay St. Louis Posts: 347
    You guys are awesome Now off to pick up the guitar
    St. Louis - 7/27/92, 4/22/03, 10/5/04, 5/4/10, 7/1/11 (EV), 10/3/14
    Chicago - 5/17/06, 8/21/08 (EV), 8/23/09, 7/19/13, 8/20/16
    Champaign - 4/23/03
    East Troy - 9/3/11, 9/4/11
    Kansas City - 5/3/10
    Las Vegas - 6/6/03
    Memphis - 6/20/09 (EV)
    Moline - 10/17/14
    Oklahoma City - 11/16/13
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    I agree, the song doesn't sound complete with just one guitar plus is missing the lead stuff from Mike's parts. But I suppose that it will be a nice jam for 2 acoustic guitars.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    I drop D, and let that drone.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Don't discount Jeff in there. He's pretty melodic, and in a sparse arrangement like "Of the Girl," the bass is totally carrying the song.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378

Don't discount Jeff in there. He's pretty melodic, and in a sparse arrangement like "Of the Girl," the bass is totally carrying the song.

Yup
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options

Ah, you beat me to it! I was thinking the same thing.
    www.cluthelee.com