"G", the theatre teacher that Ed dedicated The Long Road to in Virginia, has passed away.

My name is Emily, and I was "G's" (Steve Glendenning), the award winning teacher's, wife. I know that the concert in Virginia, where he got to meet Ed, was one of the best moments of his life and validated his work as a teacher. But sadly, because of the stress of his job and some other minor issues, he committed suicide on June 8. He was at the concert in April with two students, one of whom got him a backstage pass, where he got to meet Ed. It was truly one of the highlights of his too short life. When Ed unexpectedly dedicated the The Long Road to him and introduced him at the concert as "G", by the name that the students called him, he told me his knees got week and he ended up on the floor, crying through the rest of the concert because he was so moved. Steve was a very dedicated theatre teacher with 20 years under his belt. Through all of those years, student after student came to him for help with personal problems and he never turned any of them away. The normal boundaries between the student/teacher relationship did not exist for him because he wanted to help them all. One of those students whom he had helped met backstage with Ed, telling him about how "G" had changed her life, prompting Ed to recognize him at the concert for his dedication to his work. Unfortunately, the stress of saving the students played a big part in his decision to take his life. He was exhausted from it, and he committed suicide in the theatre of the high school where he taught. I was told he was playing Pearl Jam through the sound system as he took his life.He talked fondly of his fellow fans, particularly those of you he met at Wrigley field. He called you his Jamily. He has left behind me and his ten year old daughter, whom he called "his best girl" and was truly the light of his life. I will never completely understand why he thought ending his life was the best way to deal with his stress, and I will never understand how he could leave his daughter. It has been a horrific experience. That's why I've waited so long to tell all of you. Just know that he loved you all and that Pearl Jam's music spoke to him more deeply than any book or story or religion. He often quoted Ed, saying that he hit the nail on the head when he said that the only commandment we really need in this life is, "Don't be an asshole." I have to agree. Steve was a wonderful person, teacher, husband and father. The space he has left us with can never be filled, but we will try to go on, as I know he would want us to do.We'll always love him.

Comments

• link93link93 Posts: 403
    Thanks for sharing. Thoughts go out to you and your daughter.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited August 2016
    So sorry for you, & your daughter's lost.

Try your best to take care of yourself & your daughter.
    Post edited by cutz on
  • gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    With the help of family, we are trying. Thank you.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    So sorry for your tragic loss. My heart goes out to you and your daughter. Your husband must have been a special person and a special teacher.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,340
    edited August 2016
    Thank you for sharing, I was friends with him on facebook for a while and knew him a bit from here too. He was definitely a nice guy. My heart aches for you.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I am so very sorry for your loss.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    im so sorry for your loss
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    omg,,i just realise who is your husband....we were friends and we talked in the past,,we took photos together at wrigley..im so terrible sorry
    what a sweet man he was..i cant believe it.,,im so sorry
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • NHidingNHiding Posts: 1,899
    truly heartbreaking to hear this. my thoughts go out to you and your daughter. i know i had some communication with G over the years. my deepest condolences.
  • gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    Thank you very much.
  • I am SO sorry to hear this. I wondered often why I had not heard from him for a while. My husband and I met him at Wrigley. It was my first show and he was so great to us and I bought him posters since they were sold our on the side of Wrigley that he was on and we met up and to exchange merch and got some great pics together. My heart just aches for you and your daughter. I wish there were something I could do.