Options

The Avett Brothers-True Sadness

philzonereddyphilzonereddy NH, NY Posts: 117
Sorry if this has been discussed before...I'm new to this forum, but long in my PJ Tooth...

If you have not heard this album, I have to say it's a well done masterpiece...

The Avetts can write tunes...that's for damn sure and they don't miss a beat with this gem...

Anyhow, if you've got Spotify or iTunes...give it a whirl...
Rochester, NY>The Haunt...Ithaca>Syracuse>Troy, NY

Upstate '91 Tour Alumni...the rest is history...

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I haven't been able to get into the new one for some reason.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Really? It took me about 4-5 listens and then I was hooked...

Might be a sleeper for some folks...

• Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Going to see the Avetts Friday night....only heard two of the new songs and like one of them...I'm more a fan of their older stuff but they are terrific live
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I love the Avetts, but for some reason haven't given the album a full listen through. Will have to do that before I see them on Saturday at Coney Island. Super pumped! Saw them in Feb. at MSG. They never disappoint! One of the best live shows out there.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    Yea, the first time I saw them at Mtn Jam a few years back and my immediate reaction was "who the F are these guys?" Just recently saw them in a small theatre in Syracuse NY. It was outstanding.

Give the new album a run, hit repeat and guaranteed it'll grow on you...

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996

I haven't been able to get into the new one for some reason.

I'll buy that vinyl off of you, Chris if you don't it. I'm loving the new album.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options

Yea, the first time I saw them at Mtn Jam a few years back and my immediate reaction was "who the F are these guys?" Just recently saw them in a small theatre in Syracuse NY. It was outstanding.

That's funny, Mountain Jam is where I got into them too. 2011, I think. I only knew a song or two, but was absolutely mind blown by how good their live show was. Been in love with them ever since!
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I dont believe the vinyl release is out yet. September?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    samjam said:

That's funny, Mountain Jam is where I got into them too. 2011, I think. I only knew a song or two, but was absolutely mind blown by how good their live show was. Been in love with them ever since!
    Yup 2011...they just stormed the stage and I didn't know a tune...but couldn't look away...talented fellas for sure...

• Options
    Been a fan for years and seen them live around 20 times but I just can't get into the last couple of albums. I've listened to parts of True Sadness but that's it. Two years ago in Vegas they opened the show with a live version of Satan Pulls the Strings and it was fantastic. So raw. Sounds nothing like that on the new album. Very disappointing. Oh well, I'll still listen to Four Thieves Gone and Mignonette and still go see them live because they are amazing live. Seeing them next in Greenville in October.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    clayton12clayton12 Athens, GA Posts: 322
    The vinyl is out. I have seen it at a store here in Athens. I think it came out last week.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    clayton12 said:

The vinyl is out. I have seen it at a store here in Athens. I think it came out last week.

I wonder why they didn't release it when they released the CD/mp3
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Show last night was so much fun! Crowd was incredible, and for some reason wasn't expecting that, so it was a nice surprise. Good mix of songs from True Sadness and some older tunes. Already can't wait for the next show.
    ~not a dude~
  • Options
    GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
    Went to the show Friday night in Portsmouth...Was the fourth time I've seen them and I just can't get into the new sound with the addition of the drums. They are much louder and you can't hear them singing as clearly. The highlight for me was Shame and I Killed Sallys Lover. I understand every band evolves and doesn't want to keep making the same music but their newer songs just don't do much for me.
  • Options
    GB281198 said:

Went to the show Friday night in Portsmouth...Was the fourth time I've seen them and I just can't get into the new sound with the addition of the drums. They are much louder and you can't hear them singing as clearly. The highlight for me was Shame and I Killed Sallys Lover. I understand every band evolves and doesn't want to keep making the same music but their newer songs just don't do much for me.

Same here. First time I saw them it was just Scott, Seth, Bob and Joe. I kind of miss that. I do like the addition of the fiddle but not a huge fan of Tania's voice at all. I'll still see them in October but hasn't been the same for a few years.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    I throughly enjoyed the Syracuse show...but fully understand to each their own...

I saw them last summer at ommegang brewery and wasn't slightly interested after about an hour...big venue, ran into a lot of old friends...brews, shared forgotten stories dominated the night while the band played on.

They were still great, just not awe inspiring.

• Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    Big fan! I started listening to these guys when it was only the 3 of them. Adding the other musicians definitely changes the dynamics. Most of their songs come across really strong live! SPTS is a good example. I still think that they are one of the better live acts around right now. I always feel like I get my money's worth when I see them. Just like PJ!
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg