The Official UFC/MMA Thread

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Profession Fighters Association launches today, basically a union for MMA athletes.

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/8/11/12439012/professional-fighters-association-pfa-launches-today-to-represent

Good for them. I hope all the fighters band together and make this a real thing.....these guys get fucked over big time by UFC.
    totally. the fertita brothers are probably happy this happened now that they sold the company. Dana White is in for some HEADACHES.
    Good. White is such an asshole. Fighters get treated like complete garbage unless they are the top tier guys. Hopefully they all go on strike until the UFC recognizes this union. They probably should have done this leading up to UFC200....would have gotten a ton of press leading up to what they claimed was their biggest event ever.
    he is. I can't for the life of me understand how any owner can stomach how he speaks to/in the media, swearing at them, admonishing them; that wouldn't be tolerated in any other sports organization. he's a dick. how he was fat shaming and follower shaming people on twitter last year. it was disgusting.
    Yeah. And not to mention that trainwreck appearance he made at the RNC....still not even sure what that was supposed to be. Very classy for the president of a billion dollar organization to be getting into Twitter wars....such a dope.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

Profession Fighters Association launches today, basically a union for MMA athletes.

http://www.mmamania.com/2016/8/11/12439012/professional-fighters-association-pfa-launches-today-to-represent

Good for them. I hope all the fighters band together and make this a real thing.....these guys get fucked over big time by UFC.
    totally. the fertita brothers are probably happy this happened now that they sold the company. Dana White is in for some HEADACHES.
    Good. White is such an asshole. Fighters get treated like complete garbage unless they are the top tier guys. Hopefully they all go on strike until the UFC recognizes this union. They probably should have done this leading up to UFC200....would have gotten a ton of press leading up to what they claimed was their biggest event ever.
    he is. I can't for the life of me understand how any owner can stomach how he speaks to/in the media, swearing at them, admonishing them; that wouldn't be tolerated in any other sports organization. he's a dick. how he was fat shaming and follower shaming people on twitter last year. it was disgusting.
    Yeah. And not to mention that trainwreck appearance he made at the RNC....still not even sure what that was supposed to be. Very classy for the president of a billion dollar organization to be getting into Twitter wars....such a dope.
    it was actually a pretty bad speech. I mean, he basically admitted that he was only there, not because of Trump's policies, but because Trump did him business favours in the early days of the UFC. I don't recall White mentioning anything about Trump's policies at all.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

good lord that press conference was like watching bratty school children. and they are supposed to be professionals. not to mention one is a champion. :confounded:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    CM Punk's first match is tomorrow night!

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

I can't decide if it's worth ordering. I think Punk is most likely going to get destroyed.....not sure if seeing that is worth the $60.

I can't decide if it's worth ordering. I think Punk is most likely going to get destroyed.....not sure if seeing that is worth the $60.
    I heard he's suppose to win :wink:
    http://www.kayfabenews.com/leaked-script-reveals-punk-go-ufc-debut/
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    My guess is punk gets destroyed. Watching the evolution of punk he couldnt even hang with guys on the independent circuit. Duke rufus was even obviously saying he sucked while training him.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    That was fast
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

That was fast

that's what she said.

everyone knew he was gonna get his ass kicked.

could have been worse, this could have happened :lol:
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/elevator-mishap-injures-c-b-dollaway-and-forces-him-out-of-ufc-203-013435416.html
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My hometown (population <5,000) guy, Cody "No Love" Garbrandt is getting a title shot against Cruz! Dec 6th I think.
    Would love to see another knockout. He shot up the rankings like a rocket and I really have been impressed. He has a ton to learn yet, but his last few fights have shown he has what it takes to beat Cruz, who has been one of the most underwhelming long-time champs the MMA has ever seen.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    never was a fan of cruz. also think he's overrated. hope cody wins.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    good to see France has banned this bullshit "sport."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    how is mixed martial arts a bullshit sport? martial arts are competed at the olympics for crying out loud. ronda rousey is an olympic medallist. have you ever watched it, or just the highlights of knockouts and bleeding noses sensationalizing the violence? it's way more than that, i assure you. a lot of matches are strictly wrestling and submission. some knockouts, yes. but for the most part, it's respectful competition between two incredible athletes.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

it's a brutal bloodfest fought between dudes and ladies with no better options. are they "fit"? hell yes. but a human being might aspire to something better.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

it's a brutal bloodfest fought between dudes and ladies with no better options. are they "fit"? hell yes. but a human being might aspire to something better.

Bodily struggles and fights are the most fundamental sport possible, along with footraces, fighting dates back to far beyond our current designation as homo sapians. It's the only sport that has any real world practicality. It's the only sport I watch because it's the only one that makes any freaking sense at all! Hit a ball and run in a circle? Throw a ball through a hoop 10 feet off the ground? Skate around and smack a puck into a net? Throw and carry a ball across a field? Those are all silly endeavors, but going toe to toe is real life. That shit happens.

Can you defend yourself? If you were attacked what would you do, aspire to something better?
    it's all good, guys.

I have a lot of respect for hugh from comments I've seen for years on other topics. gambs, you make a decent point.

you guys like it. I'm not a fan. carry on.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    can't wait for saturday. I liked McGregor in the beginning, when it seemed the hype was real. Now I find he's just an annoying loudmouth that has proven about 3% of what he claims. He has been featherweight champ for a year after getting lucky with a single punch on aldo. since then he's gone 1-1, with his loss being brutal, and his win was questionable.

I think (hope) Alvarez humbles him. After he loses I'd like to see a rematch with Aldo, but I doubt that will happen now that Aldo has been beaten down and disrespected by Dana White over the past year. Brutal.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited November 2016
    I have made my disdain for UFC known, but my wife and all of her/our friends grew up with Alvarez. He is a couple years younger than her, but from the same general neighborhood. He is from a bit of a rougher area, but still knew everyone in Fishtown. Apparently he went to North where pretty much everyone from Fishtown went. Everyone always talked about a UFC fighter who is a big deal. I thought they were just blowing smoke up everyone's ass and I had no clue and didn't care who it was since I don't follow the sport a lick. Apparently he is kinda a big deal...

Would be cool for him to win on such a big stage. He have a chance?

Jon Jones is also from where I grew up. One of his accidents happened directly outside the girls we were really good friends with apartment, years later obviously...Wish I liked this sport.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    maybe it's just my bias, but i think alvarez has more than a chance. i think his chances are great. he beat dos anjos for the belt, and everyone thought he was unbeatable. he made his legs go spaghetti. he doesn't seem to be getting beat by mcgregor's mental game, which is weakening i think. he's verbally attacking everyone on the card. it's weird. it's like he doesn't know how to turn it off.

i was a fan of mcgregor about a year ago. i was in vegas when he won the belt. irish fans stopping traffic everywhere after he won. now he's a pompous ass who doesn't know when to shut his mouth. he got his ass handed to him by diaz, a second rate fighter, and then their second fight mcgregor squeaked out a decision win, many people thought that diaz actually won it.

i think mcgregor's bubble gets busted tonight. at least i hope so.

i got many beers and taquitos and chips and dip and ganja riding on it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• UFC 205 was kind of a letdown. I really wanted to see Cerrone/Gastelum, but Kelvin missed weight for the, what seems like, 5th or 6th time. Rashad/Kennedy gets pulled from the card too. Welterweight title fight ends in a fucking draw, which should have been a Wonderboy win. Tate gets dominated and then retires. Romero was very impressive. I didn't want him to win but thought he would. He will kill Bisping. I hate Conor at this point too but you have to hand it to that guy. He backs up all the shit-talking. He belongs in the conversation for GOAT. I'm not saying he is yet but he definitely deserves a mention. When he calls it a career he may well be the Michael Jordan of MMA/UFC. Congrats to him. But I think he'll have his hands full when he fights Khabib.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
    I thought it was a great ppv. Romero needs to get in shit for his cheating between rounds. Before that fight, i was telling my buddy how he was losing a fight badly, and took extra time between rounds; his corner guys weren't leaving the cage, he wouldnt get off his stool, the ref is yelling at all of them to get out and for yoel to stand up. Wouldn't ya know, the fucker does it again.

Soldier of god. Cheater.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• WTF!! SO UNDER A RoCK...LOVE MOHAMED AND ALL BUT DIDNT SEE THE BURKA COMING OFF QUITE LIKE THIS! HOLY HILL BILLY!Didnt know i was in demdar hills.. and me without a sattelite feed and sketchy radio..
  • Hugh, I agree with you on the Romero thing. Once is an accident...twice is a budding trend. But his skills can't be denied.
    Bythelake, did I miss something? Not sure what your post means.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *

UFC 205 was kind of a letdown. I really wanted to see Cerrone/Gastelum, but Kelvin missed weight for the, what seems like, 5th or 6th time. Rashad/Kennedy gets pulled from the card too. Welterweight title fight ends in a fucking draw, which should have been a Wonderboy win. Tate gets dominated and then retires. Romero was very impressive. I didn't want him to win but thought he would. He will kill Bisping. I hate Conor at this point too but you have to hand it to that guy. He backs up all the shit-talking. He belongs in the conversation for GOAT. I'm not saying he is yet but he definitely deserves a mention. When he calls it a career he may well be the Michael Jordan of MMA/UFC. Congrats to him. But I think he'll have his hands full when he fights Khabib.

Whoa whoa, you are getting way ahead of yourself there. He is still literally years from entering that field!
    How can you put him in with GSP, Silva, Cotoure, Liddel, or even Jones when he has so few fights still.
    He won't be in that conversation for years yet.
    rgambs said:

UFC 205 was kind of a letdown. I really wanted to see Cerrone/Gastelum, but Kelvin missed weight for the, what seems like, 5th or 6th time. Rashad/Kennedy gets pulled from the card too. Welterweight title fight ends in a fucking draw, which should have been a Wonderboy win. Tate gets dominated and then retires. Romero was very impressive. I didn't want him to win but thought he would. He will kill Bisping. I hate Conor at this point too but you have to hand it to that guy. He backs up all the shit-talking. He belongs in the conversation for GOAT. I'm not saying he is yet but he definitely deserves a mention. When he calls it a career he may well be the Michael Jordan of MMA/UFC. Congrats to him. But I think he'll have his hands full when he fights Khabib.

Whoa whoa, you are getting way ahead of yourself there. He is still literally years from entering that field!
    How can you put him in with GSP, Silva, Cotoure, Liddel, or even Jones when he has so few fights still.
    In 23 years no one has ever held two belts simultaneously, and he is now one of only 3 fighters to win belts in two weight classes. Thise two points alone will most likely be enough.

I was a fan a while back, but when he kept on with his wwe style rants even after losing turned me off. I thought alvarez was actually going to beat him. Connor manhandled him. It was incredibly impressive.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambs said:

Conor is 28 years old right now. His record is 21-3 with 18 KOs
    Randy Couture ended his career 19-11 with 11 finishes (7 KOs)
    Anderson Silva is 33-8 with 20 KOs (also tested positive for PEDs)
    GSP is 25-2 with 13 finishes
    Chuck Liddell was 21-8 with 13 KOs
    Jon Jones has tainted his legacy way too much for me to consider him up there. It is like Barry Bonds at this point.
    I'm not sure how you can't put him in the conversation. Just on record alone he has bested some of your list and that is before even talking about winning 2 titles at the same time, his impact on MMA as a whole or his selling power (PPV). I don't like him personally, but there is no denying that he belongs in the conversation.
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *

rgambs said:

Conor is 28 years old right now. His record is 21-3 with 18 KOs
    Randy Couture ended his career 19-11 with 11 finishes (7 KOs)
    Anderson Silva is 33-8 with 20 KOs (also tested positive for PEDs)
    GSP is 25-2 with 13 finishes
    Chuck Liddell was 21-8 with 13 KOs
    Jon Jones has tainted his legacy way too much for me to consider him up there. It is like Barry Bonds at this point.
    I'm not sure how you can't put him in the conversation. Just on record alone he has bested some of your list and that is before even talking about winning 2 titles at the same time, his impact on MMA as a whole or his selling power (PPV). I don't like him personally, but there is no denying that he belongs in the conversation.
    I didn't know he had that many KO's, I guess he must have busted alot of scrubs. I think he's been lucky in his career, he hasn't had to face the competition that some of the greats have.
  • He knocked out Eddie Alvarez (never KOd before in 33 fights), Aldo, Chad Mendes, Dennis Siver, Dustin Poirier & Diego Brandao. All of which are competitive UFC fighters. Aldo was considered the greatest featherweight of all time prior to that fight. Mendes has challenged for the title. Dustin Poirier made a strong run at the lightweight title recently.
    Notable KOs for Anderson Silva are Rich Franklin (twice), Forrest Griffin, Yushin Okami & Vitor Belfort. One of the knocks on Silva that I have heard people talk about in the past was that the caliber of the middleweight division wasn't great when he was ruling it. He's a great fighter, don't get me wrong. I just think that McGregor is absolutely building his legacy and if this continues there is no denying his place. I did state that he wasn't there yet but well on his way.
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Anybody catch UFC 206? Holy shit, what a card. The final 4 fights were so good. Cub Swanson vs Dooho Choi was fight of the year for sure. Cowboy Cerrone with another fantastic performance. Can't wait to see Holloway fight Aldo. Couldn't believe that Tim Kennedy got dominated that badly...didn't see that coming at all.
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
    going to watch it when it shows up on fight pass. heard it was amazing too.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD