What song/Band made you want to play?

2»

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,151

i was lucky enough to have cool mom. she got me into elvis, the beatles, the beach boys, old motown like the supremes. i remember being a 5 year old and trying to mimic guitar strumming that i had seen on the dukes of hazard opening sequence. i used to listen to my mom's records all the time. even the little 45s. i remember playing jailhouse rock for ours on end, back to back to back. my mom would say "FOR FUCKS SAKES, WILL YOU PLEEEEEASE TURN OVER THAT RECORD AND LISTEN TO SOMETHING ELSE?!?!?!?!

fast forward to 1992. i first heard smells like teen spirit on a "smash or trash" segment on local radio. it was like 10 pm so i was listening on my headphones. i was not sure of what i had just heard, all i knew is i wanted to play the guitar like i heard in that song. not too long after that i heard alive at a friend's house. it was then i knew i was going to be a guitar player. i bought my first guitar 8 months later.

Cool to see another person from St.Louis on here!
    we have been on these boards for how many years and did not realize that? cool, there aren't too many of us on here. gotta represent :)
    It's true! Hey, by the way, I"m a big fan of what you do on guitar!
    thanks man. i am a a fan of yours too. i think i talked to you are the pj20 preparty. did not know you were from st louis :fp:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,140
    I have been living in Columbia for almost 20 years now, but yeah, I grew up in St.Peters so my big city affiliation has always been STL!
    www.cluthelee.com

It's true! Hey, by the way, I"m a big fan of what you do on guitar!

thanks man. i am a a fan of yours too. i think i talked to you are the pj20 preparty. did not know you were from st louis :fp:

Aw, no way! Man, that night is a big of a blurry memory. I remember talking with a few folks here and there.
    www.cluthelee.com

I have been living in Columbia for almost 20 years now, but yeah, I grew up in St.Peters so my big city affiliation has always been STL!

St. Peters is just a few minutes away from here. I live in Bridgeton. Just moved here a few months ago. If you haven't been back to St. Peters in awhile you probably would not even recognize it. It has really blown up and expanded the last few years. and yeah. that night was a pretty blurry night, haha...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

St. Peters is just a few minutes away from here. I live in Bridgeton. Just moved here a few months ago. If you haven't been back to St. Peters in awhile you probably would not even recognize it. It has really blown up and expanded the last few years. and yeah. that night was a pretty blurry night, haha...
    I grew up in St.Peters from 1980-1997. I remember when Mexico Rd was 2 lanes, farm land everywhere. Wentzville was where we went to do bad things because it was the middle of nowhere when I was a teenager. My folks now live in St.Charles and we do visit pretty often and I don't hardly recognize any of it anymore. It feels so cramped!
    www.cluthelee.com
    i don't really recognize it anymore either. ever since they opened up the page extension i get lost over there, haha.

• halloweenhead95halloweenhead95 Croatia Posts: 240
    edited December 2015
    I started playing music in 2007. Our primary school music teacher told us that he play bass and that he can gave us lessons if we want... I just thought that it would be interesting to learn to play some instrument, and that's probably the main reason why I started playing music! :)
    Since then I went to music school (theory & piano) and started playing guitar, but bass was and still is my main instrument.

First main influence was Jaco Pastorius, for a long time. I have started playing fretless because of him... then I heard Mike Watt & fIREHOSE (that was in 2010 I think) and that changed everything - from my playing to my view on music. Flea also had big impact on my playing, and of course - Jeff (as a matter of fact, I recently bought fretless again because of him)
    Post edited by halloweenhead95 on
    2014: Trieste, Italy 06-22
    2018: Padova, Italy 06-24
    2022: Imola, Italy 06-25
  • PixeltenderPixeltender nyc Posts: 73
    pearl jam! specifically ten, specifically alive, specifically that solo. i used to joke that my cd had burn marks on it for how often i listened to it. but i had the cassette first and i would sit on the floor in front of my stereo and follow along with the liner notes

once i finally owned a guitar (peavey "raptor" lol) the first thing i did was buy the pj ten book and learn alive
  • BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466

pearl jam! specifically ten, specifically alive, specifically that solo. i used to joke that my cd had burn marks on it for how often i listened to it. but i had the cassette first and i would sit on the floor in front of my stereo and follow along with the liner notes

once i finally owned a guitar (peavey "raptor" lol) the first thing i did was buy the pj ten book and learn alive

I've got some pretty good fret wear on the 9 fret, around the 4th string from the main riff! Love playing that.
  • VJPaczek74VJPaczek74 Western PA Posts: 3

"Bass solo take one..." even though it was a bass solo it inspired me to play.

Pulling Teeth?
    2013: Pittsburgh, PA
  • I have small-ish hands, or maybe my fingers aren't super long. I simply don't play chords that require too much stretch. Additionally, I only augment chords in places I can reach. Injury not worth it. I hurt my pinky playing too aggressively once and was out of action for about 6 months. Then my wife broke my middle finger throwing a laser beam at me in the end zone in flag football. Caught the ball, won the game, but tacked on another 6 months of not playing. : (
    So, I find ways to play chords that suit my hands and dexterity.

Yea I like to stick with open chords. Then I found Social Distortion and knew then open chords was "alright". I do play a lot of bar chords that I just don't bar and treat it like a open chord.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Corey666Corey666 Ottawa, Canada Posts: 31
    Metallica and Black Sabbath
  • Corey666 said:

Metallica and Black Sabbath

The first time I heard "War Pigs" was when I was driving home with new second jeep (driving from Indiana back to Michigan). The moment I heard that song, I was HOOKED on Black Sabbath (And Iommi quickly became one of my favorite guitarists). The guy is a musical genius.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    Originally wanted to learn drums after listening to Who's Next and Vitalogy all summer while helping my dad fix up a 69 olds cutlass... then a couple years later I heard In Hiding and in that moment became a guitar player.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • GummiBeerGummiBeer Newfoundland Canada Posts: 189
    Paradise city- G"N"R

My brother talked me into getting behind his drumset and with a Walkman on figuring the song. Never looked back, sold my kit a few years ago for adult reasons, but want to share the experience all over again now with my daughter
    Calgary 04-09-2005
    Edmonton 05-09-2005

"A Thousand Ports of light For the Newfoundland...Theres a Kinder gentler American Band"...EV 25/09/05
  • Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    Pearl Jam for sure. I also credit Nirvana a little bit.

I particularly remember Alive being the song that inspired me the most.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Pearl Jam for sure. I also credit Nirvana a little bit.

I particularly remember Alive being the song that inspired me the most.

Same here. The Pinkpop version of Alive still sends chills down my back
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    RUSH, never seen or heard a band where ALL the members can play their instruments with such detail, precision while being the elites in the world of music. Enter the album 2112, failed at learning drums but played piano through junior and high school. I completely understand why Neil Peart has retired from touring because one's body takes on some serious physical abuse on a 5 month tour at his age being over 60.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p said:

RUSH,

Peace

I JUST discovered Rush, last year. Wow.
  • StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    In the early days of PJ fandom, I was all about Eddie. When they played SNL in 94 and he played guitar for the first time (that I'd ever seen) that was a big factor. Plus, even then I could tell whatever he was playing on Not For You and RVM looked pretty simple.

Also, for some reason when i saw Singles, and Matt Dillon was playing acoustic in front of Hendrix's grave, that made guitar seem really appealing to me. Like, its portable and you can carry it around and make up songs and look cool, don't know why but that sticks in my head as selling me on guitar.
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • llg224llg224 CT Posts: 21
    Watching Marty McFly's guitar solo in BTTF was the initial thing that made me think "He looks so cool doing that. I want to do that." Growing up I was surrounded by different genres/eras/sounds of music but I have my brother to thank for making me into a huge Dave Matthews Band fan that I am today. I loved his music and lyrics in a way that spoke to me and watching him play complicated riffs on an ACOUSTIC guitar was the final straw before I bought my first guitar. It wasn't until later that I took note of the true greats like Eric Clapton, SRV and Hendrix. Of course let's not forget our almighty God, Mike McCready.

And if you don't think Dave Matthews is a talented musician, I implore you to watch him play Best of What's Around. His fingers are majestic.
    2016.05.02 - New York, NY
    2013.10.25 - Hartford, CT
    llg224 said:

Watching Marty McFly's guitar solo in BTTF was the initial thing that made me think "He looks so cool doing that. I want to do that." Growing up I was surrounded by different genres/eras/sounds of music but I have my brother to thank for making me into a huge Dave Matthews Band fan that I am today. I loved his music and lyrics in a way that spoke to me and watching him play complicated riffs on an ACOUSTIC guitar was the final straw before I bought my first guitar. It wasn't until later that I took note of the true greats like Eric Clapton, SRV and Hendrix. Of course let's not forget our almighty God, Mike McCready.

And if you don't think Dave Matthews is a talented musician, I implore you to watch him play Best of What's Around. His fingers are majestic.

Saw him front row with Tim Reynolds back in 1998 - flat out amazing. Just amazing.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • inmyNCinmyNC amongst many Posts: 243
    U2's performance of "Bad" at live aid...I'll never forget that..
  • Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    I had always wanted to learn, but it was My Morning Jacket that finally got me to pick up a guitar and do it. I still use Dancefloors as my "warm up" song. The most recent song I learned was Magheetah.
    g under p said:

RUSH, never seen or heard a band where ALL the members can play their instruments with such detail, precision while being the elites in the world of music.

I love Rush! (The back window of my guitar has a Rush cling and a PJ stickman). A project I had with my son (who took up guitar a few years after I did) was to learn side A of 2112 together. Also, I learned more about music while getting Xanadu down than I probably learned from any other 20 songs combined.

The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Ramones.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943

Was there a song or a band that inspired you to start playing?

My mom played piano so I banged (literally) on the keys, when I was young. In 4th grade, I played the violin. Then I started the trumpet and drums, in band (BAND GEEKS RULE)! But, for guitar, it was a bit different. The first song that really made me want to play was "Back Here Baby" by BB Mak. I heard/saw them on the Disney Channel, when I was much younger, and I wanted to play. Fast forward to high school (and all the drama and adolescence that goes with that) and I was introduced to Pearl Jam and Nirvana. My buddy had a Fender Mustang (which he eventually gave me as a graduation present) and taught me how to play. I was hooked. Though I rarely play now (because life gets in the way), I still get the occasional itch. What about everyone on here?

Led Zeppelin/Black Dog
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville