Options

Introducing Edward the Egret

curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,247
Hello, environmentally-conscious PJ fans -- especially those of you in the New York area. I wanted to take a minute to introduce you to Edward the egret (named by my family for biologist EO Wilson and one Mr. Vedder). Tracking bird movement and behavior helps scientists learn more about the birds and it also helps determine what areas need to be protected (and how to protect species adversely impacted by human activity).

As you probably know, you can support environmental causes in a variety of ways. This particular egret tracking program is supported both by donations and by many hours volunteered by citizen scientists to collect data -- so, targeted giving of money as well as time.

You can see cool pictures of the project here: http://www.njaudubon.org/SectionCitizenScience/HarborHeronSurveys/GreatEgretTracking.aspx There is a link at the bottom of the page where you can follow the birds' movements. I hope some of you check it out.
All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    These sorts of things are always fun to watch and imagine just what they are doing. Edward doesn't seem to be transmitting at present, or at least his data isn't coming up for me, just Clare's. I hope Ed's all right! :smile:
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    Excellent, curmudgeoness! Will follow this.

I'm a big fan of both Eds mentioned. Can we add one Mr. Abbey to the list of Edwards- especially as one of the others mentioned has a monkey wrench tattoo? :wink:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Egrets, I've had a few...but then again, too few to mention :whistle:
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    'sup, Edward?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    hedonist said:

Ha! This made me laugh.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

hedonist said:

Ha! This made me laugh.

Hahaha! Same here! 'Egrets, agads!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Thanks for checking out the site! My son, now in college, spent hundreds of hours doing citizen science while he was in high school. Because of his involvement and interest, we try to support the efforts of local organizations.

Ed was doing okay when I looked this morning; I hope he's alright!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options

Thanks for checking out the site! My son, now in college, spent hundreds of hours doing citizen science while he was in high school. Because of his involvement and interest, we try to support the efforts of local organizations.

Ed was doing okay when I looked this morning; I hope he's alright!

We're moving more in that direction as well. We support the American River Conservancy (ARC) and The Eldorado National Forest Interpretive Association (ENFIA), both on the western slope of the Sierras. It's great to support major environmental groups but just as important and often even more rewarding to support local efforts.

• Options
    I agree. When we first began supporting environmental/conservation groups, our natural impulse was to focus on the national groups (Audubon, etc.). But people with more experience told us that the local groups were more likely to be making an impact; it's also easy for us to see how our time and money help. The state Audubon organization is active in education and conservation, as well as policy/legislation efforts.
  • Options
    Wonderful photos of Edward the Egret, capture, release, and being fabulous in the wild:

Photo album
  • Options

Wonderful photos of Edward the Egret, capture, release, and being fabulous in the wild:

Photo album

Nice! Egrets are awesome. We see them pretty much any time we head down to the Sacramento delta or the valley and even up here at 2,000 feet once in a long while. Wonderful birds!

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    hedonist said:

Hehehehe.
  • Options
    If you are or if you know a bird geek, you know that the Big Day -- the World Series of Birding -- is this Saturday.

If you are not a bird geek: the WSB is a 24-hour competitive birding event that doubles as a fundraiser for many environmental groups. Teams scour the state of New Jersey in an effort to spot the largest number of species in one day. New Jersey jokes aside, the state is a birding hotspot, with over 70% of North American species being sighted here at some point during the year.

You can donate to support Edward the Egret and other citizen science projects here: http://worldseriesofbirding.org/teampage.asp?fundid=2056

And you can see what Edward is up to here: https://www.movebank.org/panel_embedded_movebank_webapp?gwt_fragment=page%3Dsearch_map_linked%2CindividualIds%3D78588036%2B78588007%2Clat%3D40.51562620688839%2Clon%3D-74.19166088104248%2Cz%3D16.