Options

Gorge Travel Question (Canadian)

The Tremor ChristThe Tremor Christ Posts: 17
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I think I may have a serious problem.

You see, myself and seven of my closest friends bought tickets to the second Gorge show on the Sunday. We got the tickets, we got the eight seater van, we have a destination. BUT.

Does the fact that we are all "N" drivers make us unable to cross the border? The rules state that if one is a "N" driver, then that driver can only have one passenger and immediate family. (No one follows this rule anyway. I just figured that if the Border crosser guy flips the license we'd be screwed)

So we thought about it. And figured, hell, we'll just get out and walk across, claim we're catching a Bus in Blaine (Blane? Blayne?), and just walk a couple kilometres and get back in the Van.

Then we thought that that may be a little too risque' and suspicious. So, we brought up the idea of driving down to Victoria, walking onto the Ferry and going into Port Angeles. Would that make it easier?

And what about travel times? Whats the difference between Van - Gorge, and Pt. Angeles - Gorge?

We're planning on going over on the Saturday just to camp and be around everyone from the first show, as to not be rushed, or delayed on the Sunday.

By the way, I'm from Nanaimo BC. About and hour and and a half North of Victoria.

Thanks.
What the fuck is this world,
running to you didn't,
leave a message at least I,
Coulda' heard your voice one last time...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    ignorant american asshole speaking here, what is an "N" driver?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    soundgrungersoundgrunger Posts: 218
    i would just go and give it a try. if you're going early anyways, even if they stop you, you have time to go the alternate route. i don't think they would though. i'm an N driver and i haven't driven myself across the border, but i've rented cars in the states and driven them around without my N sign on the car and with multiple passengers and it hasn't been an issue. border patrol can be picky though, you never know..
  • Options
    soundgrungersoundgrunger Posts: 218
    ignorant american asshole speaking here, what is an "N" driver?
    an N driver is a Novice driver. there are three levels of drivers here now, it's the L (Learner) which you get when you pass your written exam and it allows you to drive around, supervised, to practice for your next level drivers test. that next level is the N (Novice) level which means you've had a good amount of practice on the road and can perform certain manuvers they ask you to during your road test. you can have this license for 5 years, and even keep renewing it, but you have certain restrictions (only one passenger that's not immediate family). then you take another, longer, road test which if you pass, you get your class 5 drivers license, which doesn't have passenger restrictions etc. Oh and for the L and N drivers, the DMV gives you magnetic signs (and L and N sign) which need to be placed somewhere on the back of the car to show other drivers and patrol that you are an L or N driver.
  • Options
    Vital73Vital73 Posts: 34
    I'd just drive myself on the ferry and have them walk on. When you get off of the ferry, just pick them up and off you go. Seems simple enough....
    I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm
    Oh, I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired
    I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind
    Hey, I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind
  • Options
    So I should go to the border and try? Or should I goto Victoria and just go from there?
    What the fuck is this world,
    running to you didn't,
    leave a message at least I,
    Coulda' heard your voice one last time...
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    So I should go to the border and try? Or should I goto Victoria and just go from there?

going via port angeles is gonna make for a hellava long ride. i'd take your chances at the border

Port Angeles, WA US to Quincy, WA US

Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 48 minutes
    Total Est. Distance: 242.76 miles

or

Blaine, WA US to Quincy, WA US

Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 8 minutes
    Total Est. Distance: 264.08 miles
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    skinnypigskinnypig Posts: 75
    for the love of god CALL the border patrol first and get the lowdown. going the victoria to PA route is going to add a couple of hrs to your trip at the least.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    i dont think you will have a problem at the border, but dont take my word for it, but i sure wouldnt try getting out and walking across, way to shady they will fuck you over for sure. I think its natural to be nervous crossing the border for a concert, im always a little worried because some guy has the power to completely fuck over your trip but i always have no problem getting across.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    skinnypig wrote:
    for the love of god CALL the border patrol first and get the lowdown. going the victoria to PA route is going to add a couple of hrs to your trip at the least.
    Yep, I would definitely call and see what they say. Just call the Canadian and US customs. I've done it; you get a live person and they were really nice and helpful, at least when I call with questions. At least then you'd know what you're up against. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    yield6 wrote:
    i dont think you will have a problem at the border, but dont take my word for it, but i sure wouldnt try getting out and walking across, way to shady they will fuck you over for sure. I think its natural to be nervous crossing the border for a concert, im always a little worried because some guy has the power to completely fuck over your trip but i always have no problem getting across.

I was totally hasseled by the Canadian border people going to Toronto for the first two shows. They said I was a possible "1033" whatever that is. Then 3 people searched my entire car. Then I was questioned for a half hour. You should be nervous. I am a 52 year old motherly looking woman. I used my drivers license that time. When I crossed over 3 times in September, I used my passport and had no problems. If one of the drivers has one, it might be safer, then they won't know you are "N".
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2