Learning to draw

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
#PabloNeruda #100lovesonnets #47

“Here you will be a fragrant flower first,
changed to the statuesque form of a kiss,”
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    #PabloNeruda #100lovesonnets #48

“They did not shred the peace; they did not shatter words,
    their happiness is a transparent tower.”
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Very cool, Ms Haiku! Interesting style- I like it a lot!

I took a drawing class a number of years ago and we learned the "gesturing" technique by way of Kimon Nicolaides' book The Natural Way to Draw. Here are a few from that class:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Awesome, brianlux!
    Ms. Haiku said:

Awesome, brianlux!

Thank you! I need to take time to draw again- it's been quite awhile. Maybe your thread will inspire once again. :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Pablo Neruda “And one by one the nights
    between our separated cities
    are joined to the night that unites us.”
    Neruda “In you is the illusion of each day.
    You arrive like the dew to the cupped flowers. ”
    What is good paper to use for pen drawing? I don't think graph paper is cutting it, even though it adds an interesting element.
  • i have no idea, but I really like your abstract work. Keep it up! :)

i have no idea, but I really like your abstract work. Keep it up! :)

Thank you, ThiefofSilence :)
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Get heavy papers for heavier mediums. #26-#30 is best for ink. I used to draw with ink well[fountain] owns, and this paper worked great! Awesome works by the way!
    edited May 2016
    Potential
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    Crema dissipates / as the rain starts / afternoon break

I haven't given up!

I'm joining the #100DayProject and I plan to post some drawings of mine that show progress.
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I haven't given up!

I'm joining the #100DayProject and I plan to post some drawings of mine that show progress.
    I should hope not!  The work you showed us above is marvelous!  I'd love to see more if you get a chance!

• me too...quite enjoy your posts!  thanks for sharing your creativity...
    My #100DayProject lasted a day before I became uninspired. However, I haven't given up! I work with an artist at my bookstore job, and he is teaching me to draw. Talking with someone is more inspiring than reading a book, and I'm doing both   :).
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Ballpoint pen?

Strathmore makes pads of something called bristol board, is is nice and smooth and a thicker weight that would not warp  from heavy pen usage. One of my favorite drawing surfaces.   An even thicker option is  illustration board.  It is about a card stock thickess.