Options

Heading to Portland, OR!

heeeeeeeeey pj peeps! been quite awhile and hope all is well!

so, i'm heading out to portland on a business trip, but figured if i'm flying out on the company dime, might as well make it worth my while so i added 2 extra days to my trip. i'll be out there april 8th thru the 12th. the only time i truly have on my own is the 9th and 10th, but primo weekend time so then - what should i see? do? eat? drink? i'lll be staying in downtown portland.

give me all your tips! anyone around? meet up? any cool shows happening on that saturday night?

and in unrelated events but since i'm posting - anyone have an extra to MSG night 2? :D
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,452
    hey, D2D! good to see ya! not in portland, but I'm sure some locals will give you some good advice.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I dunno about shows...but I recommend McMenamins...just look up their website, one of their venues may have some shows going on that weekend too....their food is great, their beer is great and they have spots all over Portland....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    DFBrooksDFBrooks Posts: 80
    HI,
    I live in Portland. Have since 1988. I can help you out here.

First, check the Mercury Newspaper music listings for shows. We have A LOT of music clubs here and the local, regional scene is amazing. What are your tastes in music besides PJ? Where are you staying?

Let me know and I can send you some suggestions.
    Also, there's a possibility I may have an extra for MSG 2. I'm heading there for both nights.

David
    Feel free to email me:

df.brooks@comcast.net
    I got id
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    It probably goes without saying but if you're a book worm you HAVE to check out Powell's Books on W. Burnside St.!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Waffle Window
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I hit this brewery because I Love Love Love the food...

https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/pubs/portland/

I also went to Voodoo donuts since the line was so short. Got the Voodoo and it was super yummy.

Had street vendor Mexican and it was the best I ever had...try a food truck.

Picked up a new pair of Docs (no sales tax) the store has a huge selection. First store in the US I think. It's near the brewery AND the book store.

Not sure of the status of the Rose Garden but last year they had a record early high bloom on April 3rd. It's very pretty and free!

If you can grab a car make a trip to the Columbia River.....

Only been there twice but these were my fav...oh, and the Crystal Ballroom. Saw the Psychedelic Furs there and we had a blast :-)

Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Oh, the Japanese Garden, I think it's by the Rose Garden. It's a very peaceful place when kids aren't running amok screaming. I actually got to take my time, wander and notice all the little touches, it really is a magical place. I recommend being there as soon as they open.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

Only been there twice but these were my fav...oh, and the Crystal Ballroom. Saw the Psychedelic Furs there and we had a blast :-)

This is owned by McMenamins.... :smiley:

and yes VooDoo is a must if you have the time.

Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Saturday Market. Food, artisans, music, street performers. Good people watching. It's on 1st Ave under the Burnside Bridge.
    Just down from that is one of my favorite record stores, 2nd Ave. Records (2nd & Stark St.) Love this place.
    Up from there is a food cart pod on Alder or Washington. Portland is kinda known for their food trucks. Great food.
    Head over to the Pearl District. It's right next to downtown. North of Burnside is Pearl, south is downtown. There's a fantastic coffee shop called Barista (on 13th, maybe). Bunch of hipsters, but man do they make great coffee. Lots of shops and bars and restaurants in the Pearl. And more people watching.

Portland is such a fun and relaxed city. Good for walking around. No one is ever really rushed.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    DFBrooks said:

HI,
    I live in Portland. Have since 1988. I can help you out here.

First, check the Mercury Newspaper music listings for shows. We have A LOT of music clubs here and the local, regional scene is amazing. What are your tastes in music besides PJ? Where are you staying?

Let me know and I can send you some suggestions.
    Also, there's a possibility I may have an extra for MSG 2. I'm heading there for both nights.

David
    Feel free to email me:

df.brooks@comcast.net

oh. my. god. i think i'm in love. ;) haha.

seriously, thanks for the tips - thank you ALL for the tips! um, obvs i love pj and all the music of their era, i love good ole classic rock, and sure i really enjoy a lot of the new indie/hipster music of today - the black keys, modest mouse, death cab, the killers, etc.

i ADORE red wine and spicy, spicy food - especially italian and mexican - but up for anything. i'm staying downtown at the paramount for the weekend and then the sentinel when my company pays for it. :) i basically have ALL day saturday and sunday to myself (YAY!) to do whatever i want. saturday night is really my only night to go wild as i must work and be professional/impressive on monday and all that good stuff. haha.

i'm totally taking notes for all the suggestions - thanks again all! pj peeps never disappoint! (even for someone like me who hasn't been around in a long while!)

and wobbie - recognize the avatar, but new name? kisses! :)

david, i'm so emailing!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hi, D2D! You seem and sound happy...good on ya :)
  • Options
    hedo! so nice to see you! i've been mia for a long while but yes, i AM quite happy! life's been really kind to me the last few years, feeling blessed and all that good stuff. professionally, i'm the happiest i've been, um - maybe ever? which is saying a lot since i so loved teaching. that said, still same ole me, gettin' up to no good as ever. ;) haha.

hope life is awesome for you too. 8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    holy guacamole, pj fans NEVER disappoint!!! dfbrooks sent me *the* most comprehensive list of things to do, see, eat in portland - i can't get over it! total strangers, and going out of his way to share so much. you people rock! and yea db, you rock a little harder ;) - thanks again you, and thanks again ALL for your recommendations!

any local peeps want to grab a drink some time while i'm visiting, give a shout out!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    I wish I could...but all my free time this month is dedicated to moving....just bought my first house...but I hope you have a fantastic time!!! :smiley:
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    aw, thanks! and HUGE congrats on the house - so exciting!

and anyone who has a val kilmer/doc holliday quote - well yea, cool in my book!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    No shows on the slate for me....and I've never been to Portland....just wanted to wave hello! Been a while....glad to hear you're doing well old friend (young, long time friend? :tongue: )
  • Options
    kyle!
    damn, hello old friend. ;)

and ha! look what's happening on the saturday night i'm in portland:
    http://www.portlandmercury.com/events/17126228/come-as-you-are-90s-dance-flashback

bizarre fun coincidence? run into a bunch of middle-aged grungers? :P hahahahahaha.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Hey there!

I'd give you a list, but a lot of people covered the basics.

Beer: Breakside, Ex Novo are 2 of my faves
    Powell's Books; hit Everyday Music while you're there. Only 2 blocks away

Music Stores: Music Millennium, EM, 2nd Ave records

Pittock Mansion has an awesome view of the city

Multnomah Falls is a short drive away & worth it!

McMenimans are fun--really like Edgefield, White Eagle & Kennedy School

Mississippi Ave has some great spots, as does Alberta & the Pearl

Saturday Market is fun; the PSU farmers market is also fun

Shoot me a pm if I can help any further!

Matt
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    matt!
    *waves hello*

yes i've got a pretty awesome list going, but thanks for adding. :)
    i need to visit this place more often - miss you guys!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    just want to say once more, a big thanks to all! just got home this morning. totally exhausted. had a GREAT time my free days, and really good/tiring/productive work days. i did many of the spots/restaurants/bars recommended, and then some. ;)

dfbrooks - your exhaustive list was completely AWESOME - thanks again!

hope i get to see some of you fine folks at the MSG shows in may! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...