Options

Is It Unhealthy?

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited August 2014

made a poll to compliment this thread.. VOTE PEOPLE

Where at? - Forget it. It happened to be the thread right underneath! :)

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,865
    I go on binges, taking a few weeks away helps keep it all fresh. However pj radio on xm has made it hard to take breaks
  • Options
    leighb3leighb3 England UK Posts: 20
    I listen to them a lot! At the gym, driving to work and back etc. Theres a lot of good music out there but I always go back to PJ too. Unfortunately none of my friends or family get it so I feel like the only person who likes them sometimes!
  • Options
    I don't think it's unhealthy at all. I love listening to PJ (they are my no. 1 band), but I also like to listen to other people-Neil, Bruce, and today I was listening to REM.
    To each his own-if you want to totally listen to PJ, then I say "go for it!"
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I believe variety helps you to appreciate you most loved preference
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I listen to a lot of PJ...but there is WAY too much good music out there to limit yourself to just 1 band.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    I actually don't listen to PJ as much as I used to. I can go weeks without listening to them. Just so much other stuff in my collection.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    joseph33 said:

I was just wondering if i was alone in being the only person on earth who listens to strictly only Pearl Jam music? They have everything i like in music. If i want solitude and peace its Lowlight. For anger Blood. Love,Just Breathe. Funk,Rats. Rap,Dirty Frank. It just goes on and on. I think this might be a healthy problem,lol.

You listen to nothing but pearl jam??? That is some fucked up shit man.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Only if it lasts for more than 4 hours...
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    it might get boring, eventually, I don't know, but no, it's not unhealthy, all in all, music is art, art is good for the soul, specially Pearl Jam art...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i was kind of like that in the late 90's. music really sucked for several years in that period (Smashmouth anyone?). but i want to say things started getting better around 2000's. the mp3 probably had something to do with that. and now its like there's too much new music to be discovered.

while i wouldn't call it unhealthy, i would say you run the risk of not being able to appreciate other music when there, god forbid, is no more new music from PJ.
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    I am stuck because there is no beauty in anything else. Ive tried about everything,grew up to everything,and nothing can satisfy. I know its horrible,but i dont mind a bit.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    joseph33 said:

I am stuck because there is no beauty in anything else. Ive tried about everything,grew up to everything,and nothing can satisfy. I know its horrible,but i dont mind a bit.

Well i hope that you someday find some other music that you find beauty in.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    PJ_Soul said:

joseph33 said:

Well i hope that you someday find some other music that you find beauty in.
    Well said.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    KC2917 said:

rollings said:

help me.
    I have been chained and locked into my f*cking straight jacket or to this straight jacket
    drooling out of my face
    in five seconds
    I am considering
    I am strongly considering using this brick wall
    I am going to run my face down the entire length of it
    it's that course brick
    mm hmm
    im just going to run the entire length of it down the entire length of my face
    when I get to down at the corner
    that sharp edge where one direction meets the other
    I'm gonna be a bloody mess
    I'm getting five ladders and gluing them together like a dr suess book
    hammer them together and rub somebody's pointed crack up and down against the edge of this wall
    then for somebody's next act or mine
    I'm going to brush my teeth with the bricks
    I am going to pick my nose with a brick
    then it's time for another one
    every pearl jam poster on my walls or brick walls
    every scratched skipped crackling vinyl pile
    ready
    every scratched up CD
    PJ CD
    will be ground down in a blender
    poured into a cement mixer
    mortar added
    building my next f*king wall
    and somebody's pointed ass will be wiped all over it like the other one
    Somebody's ass, teeth, face will be brushed on it
    for fun I'm gonna bounce my head off of it
    for kicks the tree next to it
    I'm gonna put a bungee cord up on the top of it and swing head first into this wall
    I'm gonna climb to the top of this wall with my six or seventeen ladders dr. suess nailed together and I'm going to dive face-first into a boiling cup of coffee
    or a boiling cup of ground glass
    would you like a cup?

What the fuck was that?
    that the fuck was me in disguise
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Variety is the spice of life
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    I go months without listening to Pearl Jam but can pick them back in an instant. I pride myself in finding new bands and getting into them. Right now I'm on a The Head and the Heart kick who ironically are from PJ's neck of the woods but sound nothing like them.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I'm not good at seeking and picking up music... but I have a pretty vast library I draw from.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    dlymnfld said:

I go months without listening to Pearl Jam but can pick them back in an instant. I pride myself in finding new bands and getting into them. Right now I'm on a The Head and the Heart kick who ironically are from PJ's neck of the woods but sound nothing like them.

The Head and the Heart yes, they are good

I need somebody to feed me new bands for me to get into. Can you, by the way, happen to suggest anybody else?
  • Options
    AlaGAlaG Brookline, MA Posts: 886
    I only listen to them heavily when they're touring/about to be touring. Other than that, maybe listen to a song or two here and there.
  • Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    No not unhealthy. But if you were the only person on Earth, there will be no Pearl Jam ;-)
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    Unhealthy? No. Good idea? NOOO. Obviously, do what you want, but that's what i used to do. All day PJ, every party, road trip and sexual encounter. However, as my affinity for playing music broadened, I discovered other musicians that I really enjoyed, and that made me feel other emotions, gave me different ideas, changed the way I felt about love and other things. In my honest opinion, to close yourself off to JUST PJ, you are closing yourself off to a world of limitless thoughts, ideas and feelings. The fun part is, one band makes you interested in others, and you really get a sense of the kind of music you are interested in.
    Too much great music out there to not find out about.
  • Options
    imca43imca43 Posts: 54
    I was just talking about this the other day to my wife. All the new music that i have bought has been pearl jam side projects. tres mountain, RNDM, Wellwater Conspiracy ect ect and even Hater. I feel myself settling for that type and style of music and are completely ok with it. All is solid stuff. Most all the new music is garbage. Sirius octane rock is just awful.
    Buffalo, New York (October 01, 1996)
    Saratoga Springs, New York (August 27, 2000)
    Philadelphia, PA (October 21, 2013)
    Philadelphia 1 (April 28, 2016)
    Philadelphia 2 (April 29, 2016)
  • Options
    SparkaliciousSparkalicious Vero Beach Posts: 39
    Not unhealthy but you miss a lot! PJ is the holy grail but there is some great talent that might not even be on the radar and it takes some effort to seek it out. Living in Florida we have the opportunity to see a lot of live music within easy driving distance so I guess I am fortunate in that aspect. Within the last 12 months we have seen Donavon Frankenreiter, Dave Matthews, Ryan Bingham, Dirty Heads, Slightly Stoopid and had a blast at all of them.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    2 words... Neil Young... he goes with me wherever I go....

I usually go months without listening to Pearl Jam... then I will plow through some studio albums and boots for a week... then put them back on the shelf... way too much other great music out there

but I will have Live at the Garden DVD playing this Friday @ 12pm
  • Options
    avenathusavenathus Connecticut Posts: 29

I can't comment on whether its healthy or not, but I go through periods of obsessive PJ listening, but mostly listen to something different every day. Been that way for a very long time.

I'm the same way! Most days I just listen to Radio Paradise all day at work (which means a PJ song at least a couple times a day! ;) ).
    "This is for Manchester, this is for Ellington, for New Britain, for Danbury... and all the liquor store owners in Colchester."
    ---
    Hartford 2006 | Hartford 2008 | Philly 4 2009 | Hartford 2010 | Boston 2010 | Hartford 2011 (EV) | Philly 2012 | Worcester 2013 | Hartford 2013 | Philly 1 2016 | Philly 2 2016 | Fenway 1 2016 | Barcelona 2018 | Fenway 1 2018 | MSG 2020 | MSG 2022 | Camden 2022 | Chicago 1 2023 | Chicago 2 2023
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,562
    they're my favorite band other than the beatles but they probably make up less than 20% of the music i listen to. it goes way up after a show though.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,756

Very, very unhealthy.

I think it just opens the window a little further to become wore out on their music. It would be like eating lasagna (or your favorite food) for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day. Eventually, it will wear out its welcome.

That said, I go through phases. Some times, I will go a month listening to only PJ. Then I will go a month listening to the radio. I'll sing along to Drake, Snoop, JT, Poison, GNR, Zeppelin, Glen Hansard, Ray Lamontagne, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, T-Swizzle....whatever. Because I don't give a f#*k! I like a complete variety. I just much prefer PJ over the rest.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    There was an interview Rob did after some Cali show that captured my exact thoughts.
    The interviewed stated:
    "Pearl Jam has ruined all other bands"

I still to listen to all sorts of music. Enjoy other bands. But everytime I put something different on. The whole time im like this is nice..but....its not pearl jam. I will listen to other music but mostly it is all pearl jam and whatever pj radio shoves at me. Which made me a fugazi fan.

That fan said it best - Pearl Jam ruins all other bands. They are just soooo goood!!
    Post edited by Out of My Mind and Time on
  • Options
    KP_McMinnKP_McMinn West Philadelphia born and raised Posts: 748
    If I know I'm going to a show in the next month or two, I will not listen to one second of the band, up until the show. I don't want to water down my experience. I want the first note I hear to bring me back to the nostalgia of the band...weird I know, but thats just how we roll.