Options

Who is that Asshole ... ???

Guys, seriously ...
You're trying to learn a cover song ... it's complicated ... the tabs for it all suck balls.
You go to the live videos for the original artist.

WHO IS THAT ASSHOLE WHO MAKES ALL THE JUMP CUT EDITS *EXACTLY* HALF WAY THROUGH EACH RIFF \ LICK \ PART ?

Like seriously. What. The. Fuck.
This is like an ongoing thing for years and years in my life.
I'm sure it's all just "to keep an energetic pace with the editing" but it is so obscenely regularly occurring that it feels like a conspiracy to keep the common man from stealing the riffs of the gods. :(
If I was to smile and I held out my hand
If I opened it now would you not understand?

Comments

• Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    :lol: Yeah, I know this guy.
    I have wished for many times that people would zoom in on the guitarist during the solo as much as they zoom into the singer during 90% of the rest of the song...
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    I gave up on trying to play leads note for note on songs I like. It got too frustrating and a little boring. Rather just make em' up and have fun with it.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970

I gave up on trying to play leads note for note on songs I like. It got too frustrating and a little boring. Rather just make em' up and have fun with it.

This.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532

Where I'm from we would call you a quitter. Kidding...

I think there are the iconic songs you need to learn the solos closely for (Comfortably Numb, Mother, November Rain, Sweet Child 'O Mine, Daughter, etc...). But like McCready, most songs you can probably get away with playing what you want at the moment.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

WHO IS THAT ASSHOLE WHO MAKES ALL THE JUMP CUT EDITS *EXACTLY* HALF WAY THROUGH EACH RIFF \ LICK \ PART ?

His name is Bob Newton.
  • Options
    I don't know him but I bet he's the guy that married to the girl that seems to appear on every Pearl Jam boot that has the piercing scream. She usually screams when either Betterman or a rarely played song is played....
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124

I don't know him but I bet he's the guy that married to the girl that seems to appear on every Pearl Jam boot that has the piercing scream. She usually screams when either Betterman or a rarely played song is played....

that's hysterical but you're right.
    me and my son go "... there's that girl again"
  • Options

I think there are the iconic songs you need to learn the solos closely for (Comfortably Numb, Mother, November Rain, Sweet Child 'O Mine, Daughter, etc...). But like McCready, most songs you can probably get away with playing what you want at the moment.
    Haha! I'm comfortable with that where this is concerned. I've been playing 23 years and I spent too much time in high school and college trying to learn how to play stuff 'perfectly'. I burned out and quit, however my enjoyment of playing and music has infinitely grown as a result.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532

Haha! I'm comfortable with that where this is concerned. I've been playing 23 years and I spent too much time in high school and college trying to learn how to play stuff 'perfectly'. I burned out and quit, however my enjoyment of playing and music has infinitely grown as a result.
    Yeah, I've not tried to learn a solo note for not in a long, long time other than learning the Mother, ABITW Part II, and Comfortably Numb solos recently. Those types of solos are more like learning songs as they are almost a song into themselves.
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    I'm starting to lean more towards getting a feel of the solo and just trying to play some riffs that sound similar/close/cool. I'm not that experienced of a guitar player, and had been spending time trying to learn solos note for note. That did help me learn some riffs, but it is frustrating when they cut away from the guitarist in videos!!! Ed is just standing there! He's not even singing during the solo!! Camera on Mike!!
  • Options
    Thanks for playing, ya'll.
    I didn't necessarily mean "solos" so much as actual complicated riffs that form the meat of certain more difficult songs.

Been listening to an unhealthy amount of Blind Melon lately, and songs like Soup, and Vernie are driving me a little crazy trying to really understand what chord forms are being used, and which guitar is making which sounds. Let alone how it's all being riffed \ appreggiated. GRRRRR.
    "Accurate" tabs don't seem to exist. And video on the guitar parts about as scarce.
  • Options

Thanks for playing, ya'll.
    I didn't necessarily mean "solos" so much as actual complicated riffs that form the meat of certain more difficult songs.

Been listening to an unhealthy amount of Blind Melon lately, and songs like Soup, and Vernie are driving me a little crazy trying to really understand what chord forms are being used, and which guitar is making which sounds. Let alone how it's all being riffed \ appreggiated. GRRRRR.
    "Accurate" tabs don't seem to exist. And video on the guitar parts about as scarce.

That's why I only play the songs that Shannon wrote! Haha! Rogers and Christopher are on another level.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lol. amen. :(
    ps - i think they are breaking up again.
    hearing multiple reports from fans at the NYE shows saying they were told "this could be it".

Very upset if they don't even do a couple of gigs \ festivals a year or something. :(
    :(
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited January 2016
    improvising over boots is where it's at :smile:

if you need any help on tabs ask because I know a lot of songs (around 36) and might be able to help ;)

Edit: unless it isn't a PJ song in which case there is a very slim chance I will know it
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]